Iowa could have 7 transfer starters next year

70% of their lineup next year could be transfers.  The days of winning with homegrown Iowa talent are long gone...

133 Teske

141 Woods

149 Voinovich

157 Franek

184 Caliendo

197 Ferrari

HWT Steveson

Could be 8/10 if Joey Cruz can win the 125 starting spot.  May not be unrealistic given Ayala's injury history.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

7 hours ago, DJT said:

Jimmy in his study thinking of the next great topic.

spacer.png

We're all still in the dark on the gambling allegations but I can guarantee that if it happens to put a big dent into the lineup Jimmy will post,  "If Iowa hadn't lost so & so starters to gambling violations they would've have beaten Penn State"

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

70% of their lineup next year could be transfers.  The days of winning with homegrown Iowa talent are long gone...
133 Teske
141 Woods
149 Voinovich
157 Franek
184 Caliendo
197 Ferrari
HWT Steveson

Could be 8/10 if Joey Cruz can win the 125 starting spot.  May not be unrealistic given Ayala's injury history.

If that happened, Steveson would be Iowa’s first Olympic Gold hopeful since when?

On 6/20/2023 at 7:44 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The days of winning with homegrown Iowa talent are long gone...

The days of desperation are fully upon Team Brands.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

why is the entire wrestling world still considering the possibility of AJ Ferrari wrestling this year. it ain't happening. 

Probably just optimists hoping for an interesting team race.  PSU has to be one of the biggest favorites in history next season.  Eight wrestlers are preseason top 3.  Has that ever happened before?

7 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

why is the entire wrestling world still considering the possibility of AJ Ferrari wrestling this year. it ain't happening. 

Given the timing of when they've scheduled his criminal trial it definitely COULD happen depending on the outcome.  Whether it should happen?  No, of course, lol.  This is just me speaking legally.  Obviously you're going to be way more informed on the logistics about getting back into school and eligibility concerns, etc.

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 1

If there can be a resolution to AJ's situation (whether by charges getting dropped before trial, plea bargain to a non-felony, AJ acquitted completely), why can't he wrestle by January since it's tentatively scheduled for September? 

Obviously there is the issue of if it does go to trial that it will start on time (that's always an issue) 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Isn't it still possible they have 10 transfer starters?  🤔

125: Joey Cruz, Oklahoma 

133: Brody Teske, Northern Iowa and Penn Staye

141: Real Woods, Stanford

149: Victor Voinovich, Oklahoma State

157: Jared Franek, North Dakota State

165: Mikey Caliendo, North Dakota State

174: 

285: Gable Steveson, Minnesota 

If Ayala gets injured, Siebrecht loses to Voinovich, and they manage to sign Gable Steveson, looks like a max of seven.  Upper weights they don't have many transfers (yet)

If there can be a resolution to AJ's situation (whether by charges getting dropped before trial, plea bargain to a non-felony, AJ acquitted completely), why can't he wrestle by January since it's tentatively scheduled for September? 
Obviously there is the issue of if it does go to trial that it will start on time (that's always an issue) 

Academic eligibility, for starters. He would have to be at a certain percentage of the needed credit hours for a given academic track in order to compete in any NCAA competition. Given that he wasn’t in school (to my knowledge) this last year, I’m guessing he’s not exactly up to speed on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Academic eligibility, for starters. He would have to be at a certain percentage of the needed credit hours for a given academic track in order to compete in any NCAA competition. Given that he wasn’t in school (to my knowledge) this last year, I’m guessing he’s not exactly up to speed on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not know about that, thanks. Also, I don't believe he finished classes his 2nd year at Oklahoma State after his car accident so that might further throw a wrench in things.

This all assumes a favorable resolution to his trial obviously. The fact it's going to trial probably shows it's not ideal but there will be more pressure to prevent a jury trial. 

7 hours ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

Did not know about that, thanks. Also, I don't believe he finished classes his 2nd year at Oklahoma State after his car accident so that might further throw a wrench in things.

This all assumes a favorable resolution to his trial obviously. The fact it's going to trial probably shows it's not ideal but there will be more pressure to prevent a jury trial. 

Him having enough credits come January won't be an issue.  Maybe he's doing online classes somewhere 🤷