Jump to content

35 countries demand ban of Russia at the 2024 Olympics


BaldAt23

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mspart said:

It would be a shame to penalize athletes for the leader's conduct.   But that is what they do.  

mspart

only some athletes have to worry about that...

 

Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if russia is banned, it should be for things related to athletic competition like doping. 

if this is the standard, then the US should never be allowed to compete again for what it's done across the middle east and latin america.

the athletes have nothing to do with this. collective punishment is evil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a little different because Russia is actively trying to annex parts or all of another country.  That said, I would agree that penalizing the athletes for the conduct of the leader sucks; the counterargument being that the athletic organizing bodies don't really have the ability to affect Putin in anyway other than this, given his known love of sport.  And yes we have blood on our hands (as a country) as well.

Bottom line, I believe that there is some logic behind shunning a country currently engaged in extraterritorial wars trying to annex them in violation of international laws, and there is a difference in that vs. other military conflicts.  I also think it's inherently unfair to the athletes involved.  If forced to choose, I think the negative affect it has on Russia is marginal, and would side with letting the athletes compete.

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 12:59 PM, uncle bernard said:

if russia is banned, it should be for things related to athletic competition like doping. 

if this is the standard, then the US should never be allowed to compete again for what it's done across the middle east and latin america.

the athletes have nothing to do with this. collective punishment is evil.

I am all for Russian athletes being fully barred from competition. Not because of the war but that's the ban that should have occurred from the state sponsored doping instead of just banning the Russian flag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GreenandGold said:

I am all for Russian athletes being fully barred from competition. Not because of the war but that's the ban that should have occurred from the state sponsored doping instead of just banning the Russian flag.

Some might say "state MANDATED doping."

BTW Putin uses the success of Russian athletes as a major component of his propaganda machine.

  • Fire 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i feel like i was listening to a one of the belaglasov brothers in an interview speaking about being given a handful of pills from their soviet coaches when he was first coming onto the scene...

he asked one of the established wrestlers at the time what he should do with these...

he was told throw them in the trash...

all athletes are trying to do the same thing regardless of what country they had the fortune or misfortune to be born in...

holding them accountable for their governments actions is not right in my book...

should any US athlete be competing based on those standards?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, LJB said:

i feel like i was listening to a one of the belaglasov brothers in an interview speaking about being given a handful of pills from their soviet coaches when he was first coming onto the scene...

he asked one of the established wrestlers at the time what he should do with these...

he was told throw them in the trash...

all athletes are trying to do the same thing regardless of what country they had the fortune or misfortune to be born in...

holding them accountable for their governments actions is not right in my book...

should any US athlete be competing based on those standards?

 

Haven't heard that, but I listened to Anatoly not long ago talk about his life Wresting and it was a great video. The "Wrestling Changed my Life" podcast. 

Spent a while talking about the difference in how they train in the US vs Russia. Actually said a lot of people in Russia don't take it as seriously because they don't have the funding behind them. It was a little difficult to understand exactly when he was talking about because he mentioned how some private businessmen have come in and sponsored Wrestlers, but Putin doesn't fund the Wrestlers as much as the Olympic Sports which he qualified as Track and Field and something else. There was a little lost in translation, but it was a great interview. Didn't listen his brothers. Maybe it's in that one.


Reminded me a bit of the Brands brothers in how he talked about not being able to train with his brother beyond just drilling because it'd end up in fights. 

 

Said a few things that were counter to what American's think, but talked about the emphasis on technique over physical training vs America where it's the other way around and how it forced the Russians to change things a bit. 

 

The brother is probably overlooked a bit because of the boycotts. It's not quite the same as, but it hurt the athletes and did little to "punish" either Nation in '80 or '84. Just stole opportunities from guys like Kemp in the '80s and the Russians in '84. There are enough people caught up in Putin's actions. I don't see why the athletes...who haven't tested dirty shouldn't be allowed to compete. We actually agree. If you're going to police who can compete in the Olympics based on their Countries behavior, just crown everyone from Switzerland now. Those are your Olympic Champions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I don't see why the athletes...who haven't tested dirty shouldn't be allowed to compete.

I'm going to disagree here.

The Sochi Olympics showcased an incontrovertible finding that the Russian state, not individual athletes or sports, conspired to violate WADA regulations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_Report

WADA reports
https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/20160718_ip_report_newfinal.pdf
https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/mclaren_report_part_ii_2.pdf

This system was systemic in Russian athletics and had a pervasive reach into all sports.

That should be the "you don't compete for two quads" level penalty.

Edited by Mike Parrish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Nick Sahakian

    St. John Bosco, California
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Michigan
    Projected Weight: 285

    Anthony Rinehart

    Crown Point, Indiana
    Class of 2025
    Committed to California Baptist
    Projected Weight: 165

    Luke Satriano

    Valley Central, New York
    Class of 2025
    Committed to West Virginia
    Projected Weight: 125, 133

    Evan Boblits

    St. Mary's Ryken, Maryland
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Navy
    Projected Weight: 149

    Gavin Jendreas

    Crown Point, Indiana
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Indiana
    Projected Weight: 125, 133
×
×
  • Create New...