Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I could be misremembering but wasn't he snapped into a bad position and just kind of caught the foot and hung on for dear life?

Hmm, maybe, now I can’t remember either

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He’s also 31.  If he beats Yazdani then I think it’s not just sour grapes to wonder if he may have had some “help”

If he beats Yazdani, I’m 100% back on the Brooks bandwagon. 

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

AB won the spot and deserved to be the guy I think we need to stop saying DT would have won because we do not know that. I wanted DT to be the rep but if anything this should show he was not on the same level he was a year prior I still think Brooks was our best rep before knowing draws and everything.

Tell you what Truzzcat, I was thinking what meaningfull thing to say for a while until I read your post. You said it all.

Im in Central PA and Aaron is on an ongoing electronic billboard  on route 34 Carlisle PA. He’s been featured on our local news a number of times and even our governor put together a nice video as a tribute to send him off to Paris. This guy means alot to alot of us and not just locally. 

Just listened to an interview with one of Yazdani's coaches. He was wary of Ramazanov and was even saying that it would not be the end of the world if Yazdani did not win as Ramazanov is still an excellent opponent.

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

This is nothing new… it’s much easier to train for one person than it is to train for the whole world. There’s many times when our rep won the wrestle off but probably wasn’t the best option against the rest of the world. Would you rather just have USA wrestling just pick whoever they think is best? This is America… I like that we give opportunity to everyone. Congrats to Brooks he earned the right to be there and will probably walk away with a bronze

**++ing amazing post!

• Bob 1

One takeaway from the whole Brooks debacle I cannot get over is the pure commitment Minnow has for being an attention wh*re looking for reactions.  Praises Brooks to the highest after Trials, only to mock his loss today.  Zero loyalty to anyone but seemingly the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers.  Fascinating to watch.

• Bob 1

46 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

At 57 Bracket shows Iri forfeiting to Cruz in Repechage. Darian gets Ind for Bronze

Higachi didn't wrestle a 1st round match.  The bracket showed an Iranian there but I guess he didn't show up.  Go DC!!!

• Bob 3

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

I think the issue with Brooks is he didn’t do a lot of international tournaments prior to the Olympics. Remember when Taylor arrived on the freestyle scene it took him a while to adjust before he became what he has been the last 5years or so.

I’m always a bit worried about a guy that is so new on the scene and the Olympics are their first major senior level tournament. Simply having been there before counts for a lot on the big stage.

Agreed…how long did it take DT to even make a World Team post grad? He was decidedly 3rd on the 74k ladder for 3 years running. After the move up and growing into 86 he had a brilliant career, but it wasn’t like he blossomed over night.  I don’t think he got “worse” in the last year.  I just think his priorities shifted and that understandably to him dialing his training back a bit.  These competitors are only so different from each other.  A slight drop in intensity opens the door to guys looking to make their own mark.  He is/was a great wrestler but taking on a super motivated freak athlete when you are at 90% can produce unexpected results.

6 minutes ago, Ched64 said:

Agreed…how long did it take DT to even make a World Team post grad? He was decidedly 3rd on the 74k ladder for 3 years running. After the move up and growing into 86 he had a brilliant career, but it wasn’t like he blossomed over night.  I don’t think he got “worse” in the last year.  I just think his priorities shifted and that understandably to him dialing his training back a bit.  These competitors are only so different from each other.  A slight drop in intensity opens the door to guys looking to make their own mark.  He is/was a great wrestler but taking on a super motivated freak athlete when you are at 90% can produce unexpected results.

Is it really likely that Taylor wouldn’t have beaten the guys he tech/pinned last year? Or is it possible Brooks was just a really bad matchup for him. 

• Bob 1

57 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Playing it safe with only a pic is a bit disappointing...

Call me Gable Steveson's freestyle career cuz I'm just a big tease

i am an idiot on the internet

44 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

One takeaway from the whole Brooks debacle I cannot get over is the pure commitment Minnow has for being an attention wh*re looking for reactions.  Praises Brooks to the highest after Trials, only to mock his loss today.  Zero loyalty to anyone but seemingly the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers.  Fascinating to watch.

And Mineo went to ESU

8 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Is it really likely that Taylor wouldn’t have beaten the guys he tech/pinned last year? Or is it possible Brooks was just a really bad matchup for him. 

DT said it himself that he felt the fire slip away before OTT. Taylor would not have performed like he did last year. 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, MidniteToka said:

I've been watching the Olympics on NBC, USA, and E!.

Do they have the same idiotic commercials and crowd shots constantly on Peacock?  I watch the Olympics to see athletic competitions, not to see Snoop Dog watching athletic competitions or Reba, etc, etc advertising some upcoming NBC series or some idiotic movie.  It's a wonder my TV is not at the bottom of the hill across the road. 

... you still have time to do that!

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I've been watching the Olympics on NBC, USA, and E!.

Do they have the same idiotic commercials and crowd shots constantly on Peacock?  I watch the Olympics to see athletic competitions, not to see Snoop Dog watching athletic competitions or Reba, etc, etc advertising some upcoming NBC series or some idiotic movie.  It's a wonder my TV is not at the bottom of the hill across the road. 

I paid for Peacock and have to run through the commercials.   In order to watch Hildebrandts match last night I had to go through a 4 hour broadcast.   It doesn't tell me where the match is so I have to guess.   Each time I guess I get to watch 2 minutes of commercials.   I'm am irritated as heck.   I spend 8 minutes trying to find a 6 minute match!! 

Amit's and Mijian's  final were on a video all its own on Peacock.   I thought that was how it was going to go.   Nope.  

I'm canceling as soon as the Olys are over.  

mspart

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

Don't use, "yall" too freely...:classic_dry:

Sorry, my inner Oklahoman bleeds through too often. 

Also note. BRING ON TOMORROW! So Excited, dissecting brackets and dreaming of matchups now. 

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Also loyal to his “nephews” from mccort!

Threatened to turn on Penn state earlier in the year!

image.gif.11b1d3942e6402aadc88aab4ad6c73b7.gif

2 hours ago, The Kid said:

Bad strategy.  Why shoot a single leg when winning with under 20 seconds left?  It's one great way to lose a bout you should have won. Unbelievable. 

Cause it's what u do in NCAA folk.

Does anyone in the media have the balls to ask cal in an interview about this and how reminiscent it is of Gilman. And how many times they practiced it ?

Cal just dropped off the pantheon for me. Major recruiting tool for other rtcs to use is this and Snyder's lack of improvement since going to PSU. 

I don't think anyone has the balls. Certainly not at flo.