Assuming both Starocci and Brooks win 4 NCAA titles...who had the better career?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Razor thin, and I have an obnoxious answer.  For college, I’d say Starocci.  I predict that overall, however, it will be Brooks.  It is such a fine line, but Starocci has more big moment wins over guys who at the time were legitimate contenders, and he has widened the gap against those he’s still competing against. 

However, 174 is arguably worst weight to be at for anyone with international aspirations, rivaled only by 133.  The jumps are too big, and usually guys at 174 don’t have the frame for 86kg, and the cut to 74kg is too much of a pull for them.

Someone needs to step up and bury them ala Schultz did to Banach.   It is seemingly getting much easier to be a 4 timer as time goes on.   Just looking at the PSU website, Starrocci is in his 4th year, Brooks in his 5th year.   That is just wrong. 

Just my opinion.   You get 4 years of active competing, not more. 

mspart

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

Someone needs to step up and bury them ala Schultz did to Banach.   It is seemingly getting much easier to be a 4 timer as time goes on.   Just looking at the PSU website, Starrocci is in his 4th year, Brooks in his 5th year.   That is just wrong. 

mspart

Brooks being in his fifth season is like taking a redshirt. He won't get a sixth year. No different than Sanderson taking a redshirt and then going four for four.

Starocci did take a redshirt. If he goes four for his first four it is the same as anyone else. It is really just his fifth title that would be tainted by the fact that only he and all the other 2021 freshman (true or redshirt) got five chances.

So if they each win their fourth this year it isn't because of any extra chances.

• Fire 4

Stinks that 174 is in no-mans-land when it comes to international styles. 

I would say Carter has had the more impressive career. Staying in the same weight class and continuing to distance himself from a talented field. A field that has grown in age and experience as well as youth and talent and yet no one has made as much as a dent. 

50 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Razor thin, and I have an obnoxious answer.  For college, I’d say Starocci.  I predict that overall, however, it will be Brooks.  It is such a fine line, but Starocci has more big moment wins over guys who at the time were legitimate contenders, and he has widened the gap against those he’s still competing against. 

However, 174 is arguably worst weight to be at for anyone with international aspirations, rivaled only by 133.  The jumps are too big, and usually guys at 174 don’t have the frame for 86kg, and the cut to 74kg is too much of a pull for them.

Starocci's final wins:

1. Kemererer (4x AA)

2. Lewis (NCAA champ)

3. Labriola (5x AA)

Brooks' final wins:

1. Hidlay (3x AA)

2. Amine (5x AA, Olympic bronze)

3. Keckeisen (3x AA)

39 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

You understand that Starocci took a RS, and this is his 4th season, right? Brooks didn't take a RS, went in 2020 (cancelled NCAAs), and has won in each year the NCAA championship was held since then. 

If they both win NCAAs, they will both have won the 4 NCAA (all) championships they were able to participate in. 

Also, easier? No. These guys are at a much higher level than guys of 20 years ago. The entire field is.

• Fire 2

46 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm?

I can understand complaints about guys getting 5 tournaments (which Starocci can if he competes next season), but Brooks will only have 4 tournaments.

Its razor thin.

On Starocci's side, he hasn't lost since his freshman year.  Brooks has taken a loss each of the last 2 years.

On Brooks' side, he's been a bit more dominant, and he also has the Big 10 title from 2020 to his resume, even before he ran off his 3 titles. 

If I'm guessing what I'd say at year end, its Starocci.  To me, it looks like Starocci level-jumped, and will be even more dominant than Brooks this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if he majors both the former NCAA champs at his weight, while I think Brooks struggles to beat Hidlay by more than a point or two.

13 minutes ago, BAC said:

Its razor thin.

On Starocci's side, he hasn't lost since his freshman year.  Brooks has taken a loss each of the last 2 years.

On Brooks' side, he's been a bit more dominant, and he also has the Big 10 title from 2020 to his resume, even before he ran off his 3 titles. 

If I'm guessing what I'd say at year end, its Starocci.  To me, it looks like Starocci level-jumped, and will be even more dominant than Brooks this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if he majors both the former NCAA champs at his weight, while I think Brooks struggles to beat Hidlay by more than a point or two.

the confound for me is that its been implied that starocci has been wrestling hurt pretty frequently, if thats true and he just tears everyone apart this year i'd give him the knod.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

51 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He spent his senior year at the OTC. He just competed at U23s Worlds, which is another helpful hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He graduated as a senior 2018.  Spent a year as a post grad at the OTC before joining the Lions for the '19-20' season

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Much easier to be a 4xer ? Spencer Lee got pinned by guy who didn’t even win ncaas and has like 4 loses already this year and Yianni was losing in the 3rd period of the ncaa semis to a freshman that had 7 loses and needed 2 huge comebacks just to make the semis 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Much easier to be a 4xer ? Spencer Lee got pinned by guy who didn’t even win ncaas and has like 4 loses already this year and Yianni was losing in the 3rd period of the ncaa semis to a freshman that had 7 loses and needed 2 huge comebacks just to make the semis 

i agree its not easier but it is more likely. the advent of kids being hyper specialized in one sport, the internet making it possible to recruit the whole country meaningfully, and the RTC system has pulled the elite high schoolers way closer to the top of the NCAA than it was in the past. 

Whose heard amazing wrestlers say, "i didn't score in the college room for months?" Cause I have many times, now high schooler I havent even heard of are beating #1 ranked guys and its just not that shocking.

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."