Nelson Brands active for a year at Iowa?

On the Iowa board.

image.thumb.jpeg.66f34635597f8ce96afe20698218a09f.jpeg

Are they really letting this guy back in the room?

Is it because of his Daddy? Or, are others who gambles coming back for another season?

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Posted (edited)

I 100% agree, for all the years he was in the lineup, he was a 10-15 ranked guy whether he was at 174 or 184. He wrestled well at NCAAs to AA but who did he best? He beat Peyton Mocco, Edmond Ruth, Alex Faison, Ethan Smith and a sucked down HEW Dustin Plott after 3 days of weigh ins to place 5th. Not one time in his 7 matches did he break one open, the most points he scored was 6 in a match. Now if he was beating these guys 14-5 with multiple takedowns I could see the arguments for him. He just as easily can go 0-2 BBQ with these point totals. Gabe Arnold will dictation who goes where but I think Kennedy beats Brands out for 174, he has way more potential to put points up

Edited by Lunaticfringe

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Back for U23s? Where would Nelson slot into the lineup? Siebrecht - Cal - PK - Gabe - Glaze - Keeter is looking pretty tough.

John Smith.... Joe Smith.... 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I think Iowa ends up shaking out 

125- Ayala

133- Schriever / Peterson

141- Block

149- Parco

157- Caliendo / PK

165- PK / Caliendo

174-Gabe Arnold

184- Brands

197- Glazier

HWT- Kueter

Solid team with a chance for quite a few AA’s. Will be in the mix for a trophy. 

• Bob 2

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Block can't make 41

Who do you think goes 141 for Iowa then? Maybe Miguel Estrada cuts down as a true freshman?

Assuming Parco goes 149, it means Iowa's second biggest recruit from last year is likely to sit out due to taking Parco from the portal. There is no way you take Parco from the portal and sit him. 

Recruits are everything. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but as a blue chip recruit you choose your school with an assumption that you likely have a spot at your weight.

This is now something recruits have to think about before choosing a school, and take note of each program's portal strategy.

I like how Brands is playing into "the Gambler" gimmick.

I was all for him serving the prescribed NCAA punishment for gambling.  He was stupid; he was caught.  He paid his price, he deserves to be able to wrestle.

As far as his 2022-2023 season, don't forget that he was already coming off UCL surgery and then got into a motorcycle accident just before the season.  Broke his collarbone and probably some other shoulder damage.  Makes sense that he wasn't scoring a ton.   He opened it up a bit more at nationals and beat some good guys.  I'm not sure when victories over Peyton Mocco, Edmond Ruth, Ethan Smith and Dustin Plott became anything to sneeze at.  Guys are all solid.

• Bob 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:51 PM, Gus said:

I think Iowa ends up shaking out 

125- Ayala

133- Schriever / Peterson

141- Block

149- Parco

157- Caliendo / PK

165- PK / Caliendo

174-Gabe Arnold

184- Brands

197- Glazier

HWT- Kueter

Solid team with a chance for quite a few AA’s. Will be in the mix for a trophy. 

OSU wins that Dual

On 5/22/2024 at 1:22 AM, Husker_Du said:

Block can't make 41

Does he use last year as a medical redshirt and use this year as a red shirt?

On the Hawkeye Report someone, MultiHawk (seems like he is tight with the program; but idk) was saying that Block is around 150 and has the intention of wrestling 141 this year. 

What are your thoughts ? @Husker_Du

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You quoted his thoughts before you posted...:classic_dry:

lol.. read the whole post. I also spoke about him maybe using a medical redshirt.

Willie is definitely in the known and has those connections that I certainly don’t. I was just curious to see if he had any thoughts on that matter as well, since he’s the brain. He may know that may be something the staff and Block is discussing, idk 🤷‍♂️ 

• Duck 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:29 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

I 100% agree, for all the years he was in the lineup, he was a 10-15 ranked guy whether he was at 174 or 184. He wrestled well at NCAAs to AA but who did he best? He beat Peyton Mocco, Edmond Ruth, Alex Faison, Ethan Smith and a sucked down HEW Dustin Plott after 3 days of weigh ins to place 5th. Not one time in his 7 matches did he break one open, the most points he scored was 6 in a match. Now if he was beating these guys 14-5 with multiple takedowns I could see the arguments for him. He just as easily can go 0-2 BBQ with these point totals. Gabe Arnold will dictation who goes where but I think Kennedy beats Brands out for 174, he has way more potential to put points up

That's a decent job completely explaining away a pretty solid AA run.  I am pretty sure you could make a similar argument for most 5th place AAs if your goal was to explain them away.  

• Bob 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:26 PM, AgaveMaria said:

On the Iowa board.

Is it because of his Daddy? Or, are others who gambles coming back for another season?

I assume you’re trolling but weren’t both he and Cassioppi “in the room” all last season?

On 5/21/2024 at 4:26 PM, AgaveMaria said:

On the Iowa board.

on the mat or on FanDuel?  🙅‍♀️