David Taylor to Coach Oklahoma State???

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It would be really ***ducking** awkward for Zahid to do that being as he isn't even #3 on the ladder.

Directly from USA Wrestling:

image.png.fe28810fd7cb028ad91c4ab7a610cd75.png

No it wouldn't.  If you think you have a 1% chance of being the  in Olympics, you take it.  Nothing awkward about it.  

I don' think he has a losing case because he didn't wrestle the true 3rd.    Of course, I could be wrong but there would be nothing ducking awkward about it. 

1 minute ago, Dogbone said:

No it wouldn't.  If you think you have a 1% chance of being the  in Olympics, you take it.  Nothing awkward about it.  

I don' think he has a losing case because he didn't wrestle the true 3rd.    Of course, I could be wrong but there would be nothing ducking awkward about it. 

The only case he would have is IF Trent Thicclay turned down the opportunity to wrestle DT off for the spot (if they even had a 'special' special wrestleoff).

Zahid has no case for #2.  He is #4.  That isn't how it works - he couldn't just leapfrog #3.  He chose to not wrestle for #3 and now he thinks he can choose to wrestle for #2?  GTFOH.

Now if you said that Thicclay should 'sue' for the shot to wrestle DT, then yes.  I would agree with you there.

Zahid decided that wrestling was too tough for him and didn't wrestle the matches required to earn the #3 spot.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Is there zero chance that DT takes the head coaching position and retains Coleman Scott as his associate head coach? Ego's too big to manage that?

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The only case he would have is IF Trent Thicclay turned down the opportunity to wrestle DT off for the spot (if they even had a 'special' special wrestleoff).

Zahid has no case for #2.  He is #4.  That isn't how it works - he couldn't just leapfrog #3.  He chose to not wrestle for #3 and now he thinks he can choose to wrestle for #2?  GTFOH.

Now if you said that Thicclay should 'sue' for the shot to wrestle DT, then yes.  I would agree with you there.

Zahid decided that wrestling was too tough for him and didn't wrestle the matches required to earn the #3 spot.

If I am Zahid I try and sue.  If I am Hidlay, I also try and sue.  

Now, both may lose but I would still try it.  Hilday lost to Marsteller on the front side and was never going to make the team if Brooks was ineligible, but has a legitimate claim because he finished 3rd on the backside.  

Zahid may actually be our best rep, unless USAW has a rule that you forfeit any chance you have to be on the team if you MFF out, then it is worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Mineo said on twitter that DT was never made aware of this situation (no idea how he knows that). If that is the case it makes you wonder how DT is currently feeling about PSU. Coming off the loss I'm sure it was a bag of mixed emotions given he lost to a teammate so this may add a little more salt to the wound.

Given what is alleged to have happened with Nickal after Taylor's injury, it would be a bit rich for Taylor to be pissed about it. 

16 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

If I am Zahid I try and sue.  If I am Hidlay, I also try and sue.  

Now, both may lose but I would still try it.  Hilday lost to Marsteller on the front side and was never going to make the team if Brooks was ineligible, but has a legitimate claim because he finished 3rd on the backside.  

Zahid may actually be our best rep, unless USAW has a rule that you forfeit any chance you have to be on the team if you MFF out, then it is worth a shot.

To be clear I would have also advocated for Mesenbrink to challenge Dake at 74 KG, for Moore to challenge Snyder, and Gwiazdowski to challenge Parris if put in the same scenarios where the gent sitting out had lost, but they didn't.

That said, Zahid doesn't have a fart's chance in a shit storm here.  He lost that right when he decided to not actually wrestle back, which Thicclay did.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I didn't actually realize he chose not to Wrestle for 3rd...I just wasn't watching closely enough.

I think you can make a pretty strong argument he's deserving of getting that match...but maybe in the future it will force people to Wrestle that 3rd place match. Why not? You're there. You get to compete how many times a year? Why would you just sit out a match? 

I don't get that unless you're banged up.

I was also so good I never found myself on the backside. The only man who's more undefeated than Chael! 

0 losses at the Olympic Trials, 0 losses at the Olympics, 0 losses in the World Championships...

Goddang was I impressive(just don't ask how many wins I had).

I'd still give him a Wrestle-off personally(if I could just make my own arbitrary rules based on my opinion), but it's hard to justify it when he didn't go for 3rd. 

4 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I am surprised at how bummed I am to hear DT might turn down the OSU job.

That would be such a boost to the sport.  My family members who know comparatively little about wrestling were pumped to hear about this interview process happening.

Idk, man. It's Okie State. I think they'll be fine with or without Taylor. 

I'd really love to see DT, JB, Dake, etc. go to a program out West/Northwest or down South where college wrestling has a weak or fading footprint, and put a program on the map. That would be great for the sport but people like to going back to the mothership to coach.

3 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I'd really love to see DT, JB, Dake, etc. go to a program out West/Northwest or down South where college wrestling has a weak or fading footprint, and put a program on the map. That would be great for the sport but people like to going back to the mothership to coach.

• 2024: 10th
  • 2023: 18th (tied with Air Force)
  • 2022: 14th (behind OSUW and tOSU)
  • 2021: 3rd (30 points off the title)
  • 2020: COVID
  • 2019: 3rd (50 points off the title)
  • 2018: 13th
  • 2017: 3rd (40 points off the title)
  • 2016: 2nd
  • 2015: 7th
  • 2014: 3rd

Define 'fine'. Oklahoma State wants to win, not finish 2nd or 3rd. And, looking at the past 10 NCAA tournaments, they only finished in the top 5 50% of the time. That is not the standard. 

22 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

What overlooked programs do you think are sleeping giants? (Serious question, IDK.) In today’s environment you need an RTC, donors, and NIL-ready businesses that follow your team.

California should have a program that challenges for titles, but it does not, and I don’t see that changing. Maybe if USC gets a program (very unlikely) maybe they can hire JB. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Given what is alleged to have happened with Nickal after Taylor's injury, it would be a bit rich for Taylor to be pissed about it. 

What is alleged??

IF this turns out to be true about Brooks and he is ineligible, the right thing to do would be to hold a wrestle off between Hidlay and Taylor. Zahid would probably be better but he didn’t take third and he has no excuse for that. IMO it’s wrong to just give Taylor the spot because he didn’t beat anyone at the trials. But that’s probably what would happen. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

To be clear I would have also advocated for Mesenbrink to challenge Dake at 74 KG, for Moore to challenge Snyder, and Gwiazdowski to challenge Parris if put in the same scenarios where the gent sitting out had lost, but they didn't.

That said, Zahid doesn't have a fart's chance in a shit storm here.  He lost that right when he decided to not actually wrestle back, which Thicclay did.

I get your point.  What is different for me is that 1) USAW didn't disclose that Brooks could be ineligible and 2) we know there will be a non-Olympic world championship and Zahid by being a returning medalist will be sitting out until the finals and de-facto #2 on the 92KG world team even if he loses.

What is point of the wrestlebacks and determining the "team".  Stipend, opportunity to compete oversees, etc.  If Zahid is already getting those things by being on the 92KG rep/team member then he doesn't have a purpose to wrestle for the 3rd spot at 86KG.

It's not like he just quit and said he didn't want to be a team member.  He will be on the 92 KG team if he wants.

For USAW to claim their policy is the #3 guy gets moved up no matter what, but also not disclose the known possibility that this could occur as it might of changed Zahid's decision when he otherwise had no benefit to challenge for 3rd is the stuff that lawsuits are made of.   

This isn't a guy got hurt so everyone move up situation, this is USAW not disclosing a  possible outcome that could have impact on the team/rep. 

It wouldn't be the first time USAW procedure to be overturned in court. 

4 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

IF this turns out to be true about Brooks and he is ineligible ... 

... and should there be any NCAA implications?  

25 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Was Zahid Valencia suspended at ASU for failing a UWW drug test??

Zahid always gives off major wanderlei silva "duck out the side door" vibes, and I still have a sneaking suspicion that Zeke Jones enabling him the whole way through was another contributing factor to Sunkist becoming past tense.

The fact that ASU, arguably the nations largest party school, had to step in and take him off the team for partying too hard says everything we ever needed to wonder. 

54 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Was Zahid Valencia suspended at ASU for failing a UWW drug test??

If I remember right, it wasn’t NCAA that’s suspended him, was it? Either way, I would guess that UWW can’t ban them from NCAA competition, NCAA or their school could choose to enforce consequences 

5 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

If I remember right, it wasn’t NCAA that’s suspended him, was it? Either way, I would guess that UWW can’t ban them from NCAA competition, NCAA or their school could choose to enforce consequences 

Lol, it was the ASU athletic department that did it in house...