When to retire from wrestling

peanut

I sometimes wonder about senior-level wrestlers who have virtually no shot at making a world or Olympic team -- or even only a slim shot. I agree that people should make their decisions about their lives, but are these athletes aware of the costs? For instance, if a young man told me that he wanted to spend four years surfing in Central America because it's what he loves to do, I think it would be reasonable to wonder if he was aware of the true cost of doing so.

When it comes to wrestling, if someone pursues senior-level wrestling for four years after college, they are missing four important years for career opportunities; they are missing four precious years where they will not face age discrimination; and they are missing four years of retirement savings (including decades of interest in retirement accounts). Is it really worth it?

I know some of you will say that some of these athletes will pursue coaching. Okay. But how many coaching jobs hinge on several years of unfruitful senior-level wrestling?

Edited by peanut

• peanut changed the title to When to retire from wrestling

That is pragmatic... but life need not be a rat race.  With my kids in school, I'd gladly work 20 years later for 10 years off now!

Pursue what brings joy for at least those four years.  Later, open a Purler academy and create wealth.  Or go down the traditional career path, double your intended savings, and leverage that compounding interest over time.  You will never get that four years of prime health back but you have plenty of years for career toil.

Your wealth is your health and your relationships.  Invest wisely.

• Fire 5

Not a concern that someone enters the workforce at 26 instead of 22. They don't get any more chances man. Jamill Kelly is a guy that wasn't an NCAA champ but really grew after college and medaled at the Olympics. I'd be more concerned about wear and tear on the body. But yes, always good to build work experience while you do other things - whether it's senior level wrestling, college classes, high school, whatever.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, mspart said:

We have been blessed with the longevity of JB and KS.   KD and DT are next in line. 

mspart

I wouldn't be surprised if DT retired after the Olympics.  His wife is pregnant with their third kid,  he just bought a farm and and has all kinds of animals.  Also,  he has the training center with alot of kids, the juice shop, and I think they were building another one and they have rental properties.  

You're only young once. Wrestle as long as you love it or until your body says you cannot.

My real competitive wrestling career ended in late 1997 when I moved from Philly to FLA for work. My coaching career ended in 2010 when I was 39 and my orthopedist said, "Dude..."

• Fire 3

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

21 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I wouldn't be surprised if DT retired after the Olympics.  His wife is pregnant with their third kid,  he just bought a farm and and has all kinds of animals.  Also,  he has the training center with alot of kids, the juice shop, and I think they were building another one and they have rental properties.  

Unless Taylor doesn't win gold - then he is going to stick around and go on a revenge tour. But the end of the current quad is going to be a much bigger changing of the guard than ever before.

JB, Taylor, Cox, and Gilman are all likely to leave their shoes on the mat. I think Dake will continue going even if he wins an *olympic gold, Gilman retires the next time he doesn't make the team which may very well be in 18 short weeks, and Snyder is going to compete until he's 40 or can't make the team (I'll take the former). We are very much witnessing a valiant last stand and we should all take a moment to appreciate the renaissance of freestyle wrestling. The real treasure was the chairs we threw along the way.

Edited by bnwtwg
  • Fire 6

i am an idiot on the internet

I retired from coaching a few years ago.   The head coach quit so I thought it was a good time to go myself.   The HS season ends in Feb and I was still sore in April.   It was time.  

My competitive days were limited to HS and some Veteran wrestling.   Both were very fun.   My last veteran competition was in 2002 in Vegas for US Nationals. 

mspart 

• Fire 4

... when you put on a singlet and can't see your toes because your bulging belly resembles a woman's in her last trimester

.... when you go back to your high school room over the Christmas break and get head-locked and decked by the third string JV guy, who laughs increduously at your claim that you once made it to the state finals

.... when you find yourself spending more time on the Intermat forums responding angrily to  posters who make fun of your losses than you do actually training for an upcoming match

.... when your ears are so disfigured  that they are poked with a fork at the steakhouse salad bar by a patron who actually mistakes them for cauliflower 

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:49 PM, Threadkilla said:

"All kinds of animals"?

Is he actually farming or is it just another hobby farm?

We have "hobby farms" where I live and these guys don't have to rely on the land to make a living. Some call themselves farmers or ranchers - but it is still a hobby, not a life.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

7 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

"All kinds of animals"?

We have "hobby farms" where I live and these guys don't have to rely on the land to make a living. Some call themselves farmers or ranchers - but it is still a hobby, not a life.

It would appear to be a hobby.  But I imagine it's time consuming.  especially with all of the other ventures he has going on in addition to his training.   Like I said,  he has his large training center, he and his wife have a juice business or 2, and I saw he was renovating a large building for some business. 3 kids.  Rentals, and  he appears to be getting more into broadcasting as well.  

On 12/22/2023 at 10:54 PM, AgaveMaria said:

"All kinds of animals"?

Is it a hobby farm or is it just another actual farm?

No doubt, two very different ventures and purposes.

Don't make the mistake of thinking one is somehow better than the other.

5 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

When a person is near the top of the ladder and continues to get passed up by new post grad talent and drops from 1-3 to 2nd tier. Gilman appears to be in this currently, James Green recently was as well. Alex Pantaleo is another, lost to guys moved up from 61kg he shouldn’t lose to

I agree to an extent.   I think Gilman has another go in him.  We'll see.   The others not so much.   But you have an excellent point.   JB might be in there as well.   Lost at 74, and then at 79.   He'll give it another go but I think no matter what, he gives it up this next year.   But 74 is going to be a large and huge haul for him.   It would be cool to see him in the finals with Dake. 

mspart

On 12/17/2023 at 12:07 AM, peanut said:

I sometimes wonder about senior-level wrestlers who have virtually no shot at making a world or Olympic team -- or even only a slim shot. I agree that people should make their decisions about their lives, but are these athletes aware of the costs? For instance, if a young man told me that he wanted to spend four years surfing in Central America because it's what he loves to do, I think it would be reasonable to wonder if he was aware of the true cost of doing so.

When it comes to wrestling, if someone pursues senior-level wrestling for four years after college, they are missing four important years for career opportunities; they are missing four precious years where they will not face age discrimination; and they are missing four years of retirement savings (including decades of interest in retirement accounts). Is it really worth it?

I know some of you will say that some of these athletes will pursue coaching. Okay. But how many coaching jobs hinge on several years of unfruitful senior-level wrestling?

It all depends on the person. You can’t and shouldn’t decide or think you can decide when someone should walk away from something. You can’t tell them what they’re missing out on either. A lot of guys work and take care of their families while they wrestle as adults. It’s a very healthy thing. You will often see individuals practice and compete in jiu-jitsu tournaments no problem to continue their education in the martial art, and I think the same applies for a lot of people in wrestling. Not everyone competes to be a world team member, which sounds crazy to some, but it truly isn’t. This is what Reece Humphrey understood when he opened his practices to people of all ages. The elitist mindset in American wrestling culture kills the sport for many people.

• Fire 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 2:49 PM, Threadkilla said:

You could be right, but I took his comments a totally different way. It was about how those other things in life took the pressure of winning off him, the obsession with it(being singularly focused). He seems like he's in a really good place now with a healthy balance...and why not try and win a couple more?

He really shot up among the all-time greats(in the US) since he bumped up. He has a chance to reach another echelon. 

• Fire 2

On 12/18/2023 at 12:49 PM, Threadkilla said:

If he loses or gets hurt, possibly. If he wins, he could go down as the greatest U.S. wrestler ever if he keeps competing.  

If he loses or gets hurt, possibly. If he wins, he could go down as the greatest U.S. wrestler ever if he keeps competing.  

I think he wins, retires from competition and coaches AB in 2028. Works at NLWC + M2 until Cael is about to leave. A couple years out, he’s put on staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk