Iowa v PSU - Jan. 27, 2023

Wrestleknownothing

Man.  No stall calls on Kerk given how they called other matches is brutal. Dean managed to do less than Warner (which is hard to do) and win (to be clear, I don't think there should have been stalling calls on Dean, unless the ref was going to call double stalling, because that was awful).  Starocci has more in him than he shows, which makes it frustrating to watch him. He's so much better than Nelson Brands.

Teske nearly stalled his way to a decision, but karma caught up to him. Bartlett, Van Ness, and Facundo had jo discernible offense, same with Siebrecht (fun match, but Cobe only barely avoided a couple of more Haines TDs) and Brands (nice try to pretend like you're active without taking committed shots.

All the wrestlers on both teams were disappointing to me in the second half of the dual except for Brooks.

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Might be heading straight to WWE after college

I don't know anything about WWE but I wonder if Kerk could be a bigger star than Steveson.  He's got a really strong physical presence and movie star looks.  Steveson just doesn't strike me as filling up the camera, he's reserved without a lot of natural charisma.  Or am I just wishing that he fails and comes back to competing instead of pretending to compete.

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Brands vs. Cass, says the guy who doesn't understand redshirt rules and calls out Spencer Lee

Dude, what are you talking about? I "called out" Spencer Lee? How?

And I misspoke, Brands vs Starr. So what? WTF is your deal?

LOL...NM. I'm a bit new on here. Didn't realize what an Iowa fanboi you were and how pissy you might be after watching your team stalling and holding on all night so they didn't lose as badly as they could have.

It makes plenty of sense now!

Edited by scourge165

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

So who won? No, not Penn State. Who cares about that? I mean who won the all important dual score guessing contest?

Q: What does @BobDole wear? Boxers? or Briefs?

A: Depends

If we count correct number of match winners then the answer is a tie between @Mr. PeanutButter and @Holtfan. Both were a perfect 10 for 10. Can't get much better than that.

image.png.4664bb3758393d074bcfd83a8893e725.png

Or Can You?

Guessing the winners is only half the battle. You have to get the bonus points right, too.  Here we have a tie, too. The Told Ya So Award for the lowest absolute error goes to @Barracuda141 and @PortaJohn. They both got the PSU total spot on and were within spitting distance of the Iowa total. A group of six ( @BerniePragle, @fishbane, @Le duke, @Mr. PeanutButter, @Pish, and Pyle) get the Woulda Coulda Shoulda Award for near misses.

Somehow @Jimmy Cinnabon got 9 of 10 correct, but still had the next to last score error. Keep up the good work.

image.thumb.png.4b9ad95363d0cc24f6e89326b1a260bc.png

Awesome job WKN, I appreciate your time and effort to put this together. Added a fun wrinkle to a ho-hum dual.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Man.  No stall calls on Kerk given how they called other matches is brutal. Dean managed to do less than Warner (which is hard to do) and win (to be clear, I don't think there should have been stalling calls on Dean, unless the ref was going to call double stalling, because that was awful).  Starocci has more in him than he shows, which makes it frustrating to watch him. He's so much better than Nelson Brands.

Teske nearly stalled his way to a decision, but karma caught up to him. Bartlett, Van Ness, and Facundo had jo discernible offense, same with Siebrecht (fun match, but Cobe only barely avoided a couple of more Haines TDs) and Brands (nice try to pretend like you're active without taking committed shots.

All the wrestlers on both teams were disappointing to me in the second half of the dual except for Brooks.

Not sure what you mean “stalling on Kerk?”  He had takedown and rode him. The guy on bottom has to get up. 

if you want the rules changed that’s one thing, but to say Kerk and Dean stalled is a stretch. Guys took bottom and couldn’t get up. Welcome to folkstyle. 

As a PSU fan, I would have like to see BB, SVN and Facundo get after it a little more. It was like they were content to lose close which isn’t a PSU trait. 

Not sure what was up with Carter that match but I’ll give him a pass. 

5 minutes ago, Pish said:

Not sure what you mean “stalling on Kerk?”  He had takedown and rode him. The guy on bottom has to get up. 

if you want the rules changed that’s one thing, but to say Kerk and Dean stalled is a stretch. Guys took bottom and couldn’t get up. Welcome to folkstyle. 

As a PSU fan, I would have like to see BB, SVN and Facundo get after it a little more. It was like they were content to lose close which isn’t a PSU trait. 

Not sure what was up with Carter that match but I’ll give him a pass. 

With Kerk I was talking about neutral in the 3rd.  Kerk backed up and blocked while Cass repeatedly took (bad) shots.  I have resigned myself to the idea they're not going to call stalling on top, no matter how little the guys do while there. That's not even directed at PSU, it's a collegiate-wide epidemic.

• Fire 2

14 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Oh, fo sho. Doesn't change the fact that it wasnt a smart take 

Being that it was an accurate take, to the fullest, the actual results say otherwise.

Your opinion is allowed to be different.  It is also wrong.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Was there any comments from him or Brands about why Lee didn’t try harder for the fall?   Vespa’s two other losses this year were both by pin, to two backups including one from Franklin and Marshall.   I know the excuse I saw was “the ref kept calling PD,” but I’m surprised he didn’t let him up and try to get a turn from neutral or something, unless I guess he was afraid of getting cradled again.  He clearly could turn him with ease, and had a lot more time to get the tech if needed.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:13 AM, VakAttack said:

Meant to add: the dual, unfortunately, was essentially over at the moment RBY stuck Teske.  Iowa needed to thread a bit of a needle to win this, and that result made the eye of said needle incredibly small.

Good point - and your needle example reminds me of this old biblical injunctive:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for Tom Brands to coach at the level of  Cael Sanderson."

Edited by Hurricane Wrestling

It's telling how PSU and Iowa fans can watch the same match and have opposite takes on who was stalling and boring and who would benefit from more aggressive stall calls, who shows promise, etc.

Although I'm more with this guy ( Iowa stalls link),  I can appreciate the good points raised by Iowa fans as well as be amused by the more myopic rants. 

Thanks for the good reads.

• Fire 1