Anybody not watching worlds this year?

peanut

I am not watching worlds this year.

I am troubled by the participation of some Russians who appear to have supported the invasion of Ukraine. According to the International Criminal Court, Russia has committed tens of thousands of war crimes in Ukraine.

It's also annoying that the US is the only place in the world that has to be pay a middleman in order to access the UWW feed. That middleman, of course, is Flo, and they require an annual subscription to view worlds.

• Haha 1

I am troubled by the participation of some Russians who appear to have supported the invasion of Ukraine. According to the International Criminal Court, Russia has committed tens of thousands of war crimes in Ukraine.
It's also annoying that the US is the only place in the world that has to be pay a middleman in order to access the UWW feed. That middleman, of course, is Flo, and they require an annual subscription to view worlds.
The wrestlers didn't commit war crimes. They supported their troops, same as most countries do. This shouldn't restrict your ability to watch and cheer-on wrestlers from your country. Not giving your support to your athletes doesn't somehow prove a point to anyone but the people you randomly tell. And I guarantee you the majority of them will reply with. "you really would have enjoyed that Dake-Bomb live" ;)

Cheers on your decision. But Im going to watch it all .
  • Fire 3

19 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

The wrestlers didn't commit war crimes. They supported their troops, same as most countries do. This shouldn't restrict your ability to watch and cheer-on wrestlers from your country. Not giving your support to your athletes doesn't somehow prove a point to anyone but the people you randomly tell. And I guarantee you the majority of them will reply with. "you really would have enjoyed that Dake-Bomb live" 😉

Cheers on your decision. But Im going to watch it all .

Indifference to bad, evil, or incompetent is worse than bad, evil, or incompetent.  Don't defend it.  It doesn't fit well.

I am watching because of the rest of the planet and my vested interests that will be there.

Unfortunately I already pay for Flo, so not tuning in will cost them nothing.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, peanut said:

We watched the Olympics in 88 when the USSR was still in Afghanistan making a mess of things and probably committing war crimes. Or during the mid 90s when they were doing the same to their own in Chechnya. 

Indifference to bad, evil, or incompetent is worse than bad, evil, or incompetent.  Don't defend it.  It doesn't fit well.
I am watching because of the rest of the planet and my vested interests that will be there.
Unfortunately I already pay for Flo, so not tuning in will cost them nothing.
Not defending it all together but yeah I mean slight indifference, they supported their country, I get it ..... what Russia did was bad. Supporting it: bad. Should they be allowed in? In my opinion: no ..... can I do anything about it ? No... Have I done anything at all to thwart Russia somehow previous to this world event? No ..... Was I going to watch it before and this really doesn't change anything .... Yes....
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

not watching a sporting event b/c of politics?

seems like a slippery slope. 

and frankly, pearl clutching. but to each their own. 

@peanut what are your thoughts on Chile 1973, Iran 1979, and Iraq 2003 and what was your sports-viewing consumption during that time? Also did you root for any country in particular during those stretches?

Each person can choose to watch/not watch but it is healthy perspective to also remove any rose-tinted glasses and revoke potential for hypocrisy.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

8 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

The wrestlers didn't commit war crimes. They supported their troops, same as most countries do.

That is not consistent.

Can't compare it to "most countries" since no other country is waging a war against a neighboring country for the purpose of stealing their land and destroying their infrastructure. And committing war crimes in the process.

Word was that most Russian citizens don't support the war effort.

Posts like this tell me otherwise.

That is not consistent.
Can't compare it to "most countries" since no other country is waging a war against a neighboring country for the purpose of stealing their land and destroying their infrastructure. And committing war crimes in the process.
Word was that most Russian citizens don't support the war effort.
Posts like this tell me otherwise.
So maybe I'm just the most uneducated person on the forums and they did more....
But
From my viewpoint, they are citizens of a country, that was in a war ( a country where you do what you're told to an extreme extent) and they showed support for that war for whatever reason .
Maybe they hate Ukraine, maybe they love their country, maybe they're pure evil and just love death ..,. Whatever the reason.... the governing body of wrestling decided the individuals were clear to wrestle and that doesn't change my desire to watch the World Championships.
I'm not watching 5 adult males torture a young Ukrainian girl for 4 days straight.
I'm watching a world championship, with some wrestlers from a deplorable country, wrestling unattached. That's all......

It's people burning their nike gear because players took a knee for a season... it makes 0 sense...

You showed them. Don't watch, I'm sure it'll change something.

17 hours ago, peanut said:

I am a USA homer while also aware that our country commits war crimes and silently supports others who do as well.  The government's actions in the USA mostly do not accurately reflect what the citizens want and how they behave.  From the Iran forums, I get the feeling this is true in other countries.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.  Just as the USA wrestlers can compete, let the Russians compete, and let us hope that the hard work Dake and Snyder put in will get it done!

• Fire 2

Pretty sure in Russia if you don't at least act like you support the troops you can end up in big trouble. On top of that, the Russian State has a strangehold on pretty much all forms of news and media so normal folks end up seeing only what the Gov wants them to see. This is a silly thread. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Pretty sure in Russia if you don't at least act like you support the troops you can end up in big trouble. On top of that, the Russian State has a strangehold on pretty much all forms of news and media so normal folks end up seeing only what the Gov wants them to see. This is a silly thread. 

"yeah Russian State has a strangehold on pretty much all forms of news and media" they even dont allow me to use this forum with many hate speech people about Russia. Yeah sir, they strangehold all media here lol You know many things about Russia than i don't. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jross said:

I am a USA homer while also aware that our country commits war crimes and silently supports others who do as well.  The government's actions in the USA mostly do not accurately reflect what the citizens want and how they behave.  From the Iran forums, I get the feeling this is true in other countries.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.  Just as the USA wrestlers can compete, let the Russians compete, and let us hope that the hard work Dake and Snyder put in will get it done!

If you believe the USA commits war crimes and more, then you are not a USA homer.

That would make you a fake.

18 hours ago, jross said:

5 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

If you believe the USA commits war crimes and more, then you are not a USA homer.

That would make you a fake.

Thank you, jross. I had almost given up hope on this thread. The level of brainwashing in the US is unbelievable. And the GreatWhiteNorth, who insists on "My country, right or wrong. I'm a homer, even when my country commits war crimes and breaks American laws. So there. And if you believe the USA commits war crimes, you're not a homer." Ridiculous.

Those who love America will hold it to high standards and be the first to stand in protest when it violates American and international law. 

These days in the US everyone admits that the Iraq War was a horrible mistake, and there obviously weren't any WMDs.

The US, in its shock and awe campaign, deliberately targeted water and sewerage systems with the objective of spreading as much disease among the Iraqi people as possible. They were very successful. 

"We have heard that a half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima! Is the price worth it?" Madeline Albright and one sick variety of homers everywhere: "I think this is a very hard choice. But we think that the price is worth it."