Jordan Burroughs

peanut

I'm a big JB fan -- so it's pains me to say it -- but it looks like we may have seen the last of him at the world/Olympic stage.

JB will be 35 in a month; he has four kids; and he's been up at 79kg since 2021. To make the 2024 Olympic team he'll have to get down to 74kg, and then get through Dake and others. Really hard to see that happening right now.

Father time may well have finally caught JB for good. Super sad, but that's how sports go.

Edited by peanut
  • Fire 3

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

I don't think Imart, dierenger, McFadden, Mastellar can make the Olympic weight.  So he will have to beat Nolf to get to Dake.   Dake was never going to be easy but he's beaten him a ton of times already 

I think chance will be down to 74 

I was afraid Burroughs was going to leave his shoes on the mat there. Not sure if they showed it on Flo but he sat in the center of the mat for a while and started untying his shoes. Slay came over and talked him out of it.

• Fire 3

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I was afraid Burroughs was going to leave his shoes on the mat there. Not sure if they showed it on Flo but he sat in the center of the mat for a while and started untying his shoes. Slay came over and talked him out of it.

They did show it

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

They did show it

They showed him sitting there untying them, but they didn’t show his feet when he walked off.  Weirdly they didn’t really comment on that possibility.

I don’t think he makes the team either way, but I’m thinking he goes up to 86 next year.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They showed him sitting there untying them, but they didn’t show his feet when he walked off.  Weirdly they didn’t really comment on that possibility.

I don’t think he makes the team either way, but I’m thinking he goes up to 86 next year.

I’m rooting for him either way. His impact is more than just the medals 

• Fire 3

8 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I’m rooting for him either way. His impact is more than just the medals 

Agree.  I will say it seemed strange seeing Hall in his corner.  Can’t imagine it’s very often that you see a guy being coached by someone like 8 years younger than them

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 2

Big Burroughs fan. I was hoping he would leave his shoes on the mat.  I'd rather that than seeing him up at the table arguing calls with his coach and then having a hard time leaving the mat.  He had a difficult time leaving the mat when he lost to Dake 2 straight, as well.   I've watched the 1988 Monday/Schultz Olympic trials a couple of times and love the way Schultz left the mat after his second loss and then carried Monday around the mat on his shoulders after Monday won Gold. 

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Big Burroughs fan. I was hoping he would leave his shoes on the mat.  I'd rather that than seeing him up at the table arguing calls with his coach and then having a hard time leaving the mat.  He had a difficult time leaving the mat when he lost to Dake 2 straight, as well.   I've watched the 1988 Monday/Schultz Olympic trials a couple of times and love the way Schultz left the mat after his second loss and then carried Monday around the mat on his shoulders after Monday won Gold. 

I’m a big Burroughs fan as well and I have to agree to an extent. However, I think he would regret not giving it a try this close to the Olympics. He has to say he at least gave it his all to try to reach his goal. Then I hope he retires with class. I do think he is visibly frustrated and losing confidence though. He was trying so hard to get through Marsteller’s head/hands defense and just couldn’t do it. If he can’t get through Marsteller’s defense, no way he gets through Dake’s. Couple that with the fact that I think he is dreading the cut and it hardly seems worth it to sacrifice another year of total dedication. But, again, I think he needs to try it for his own peace of mind.

• Fire 2

19 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I wonder why Slay convinced him out of leaving his shoes on the mat. Not that I think he should've, cuz I love me some JB, but it should be his decision to make. 

I’d have to think that conversation was had before yesterday, and I’d guess he was not planning to retire if he lost, so my assumption is that Slay just didn’t want him to do that in the heat of the moment 

• Fire 1

JB has been a boon for the sport.   He has been a great ambassador for Wrestling.   I am sad that he did not make the team like I expected, but perhaps he can now concentrate on other things.   He's had a great run, I congratulate him on all his success, and wish only the best for him and his family.

mspart

5 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I wonder why Slay convinced him out of leaving his shoes on the mat. Not that I think he should've, cuz I love me some JB, but it should be his decision to make. 

I always thought the shoes on the mat tradition is way overdone. It made sense at the Olympics like Rulon did after he won a medal, where he knew it was over and it was a truly iconic moment.  Doing so at Final X without some deep thought about whether or not to keep going doesn't make sense. Same thing when people do it in the consi bracket of the olympic trials...it just seems like a strange moment for it.

If JB decides he is done, I'd love to see him be invited to Nebraska and leave his shoes on the mat at halftime at one of their duals.  Even if Taylor ends up more accomplished on paper, JB is the most iconic wrestler since John Smith IMO and really brought USAW wrestling back from a bad place. 

• Fire 3

18 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

He won't touch dake....anyone notice dake doesnt breathe heavy anymore ?? dake appears to have gotten better since the move to Nittany lion. That looked like vintage dake. 

I said this as well.  Dake looks as big as he did when he wasn't letting the world score on him at 79 KG.  He looks pristine.

On 6/11/2023 at 7:15 AM, Perry said:

Said it in the main final x thread, but given how Jordan "won" match one he kind of deserved the series to come down to a reversed call near the buzzer of match 3 to lose. Karma imo.

If you believe in Karma, which I do not, then you would actually believe that Match 1 had little to nothing to do with it.  It was Karmic towards PRTC and, more specifically, Turdberger.  For JB to have won that series, Slay would have not cornered Turdberger and made him wear an entirely different, unaffiliated singlet.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:54 PM, Gus said:

I think chance will be down to 74 

Chance is an entirely different wrestler when he goes to 74 KG.

On 6/10/2023 at 10:22 PM, 1032004 said:

Had he ran train through Chance then Worlds, I might have agreed - much like if Retherford runs train through 70 KG at Worlds, I think he should also consider going up.

The only way he goes 86 KG at this point is if he pulls a Garrett and realizes he cannot make 74 KG about a month out.  That version of JB would only be about 81-82 KG wrestling 86 KG, though.  He wouldn't succeed.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 6/11/2023 at 7:47 PM, billyhoyle said:

I always thought the shoes on the mat tradition is way overdone. It made sense at the Olympics like Rulon did after he won a medal, where he knew it was over and it was a truly iconic moment.  Doing so at Final X without some deep thought about whether or not to keep going doesn't make sense. Same thing when people do it in the consi bracket of the olympic trials...it just seems like a strange moment for it.

If JB decides he is done, I'd love to see him be invited to Nebraska and leave his shoes on the mat at halftime at one of their duals.  Even if Taylor ends up more accomplished on paper, JB is the most iconic wrestler since John Smith IMO and really brought USAW wrestling back from a bad place. 

But Rulon has attempted two comebacks since leaving his shoes on the mat!  It wasn't over!  He says he will be back next year 20 years hence.

Any chance Gable wrestles for Minnesota next year?  Would that be the first time a wrestler left their shoes on a mat in college and later returned to represent the school again?

I think I remember Joe Rau leaving his shoes on the mat after losing at the last OTT.  He won a world team spot at Final X this weekend.

Frank Molinaro left his shoes on the mat at the last trials too.  It was after his loss to Yianni in the championship bracket of the challenge tournament.  He didn't show up for his consi match.

I don't think there is only one appropriate time to leave your shoes on the mat.  Very few individuals get to go out on a high note like Rulon did... the first time.