2023 Transfer Portal

50 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Some of you want to prohibit students from going to the school of their choice because your feelings got hurt? Just sounds wrong. Students should get an education wherever they want and too bad if it makes another team better. They earned the right to choose. It's their education, scholarship, future, etc.

I don’t have a school/team that I support. Yes, they can choose to get an education wherever they want, and that coach can determine if it’s worth a scholarship or not to allow him to wrestle there. It is no different than a good wrestler who grew up dreaming of going to Yale, but they don’t have a wrestling team. He can choose to go there and not wrestle, or he can go elsewhere and wrestle. Depends on his priorities.

It’s more about preserving the sport as a whole before it becomes a truly niche sport with only 30 D-1 teams.

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You forgot about the part where when coaches change these kids should just stfu and deal with it.

Obviously, there should be exemptions carved out for coaching changes and grad transfers.

7 minutes ago, DJT said:

I don’t have a school/team that I support. Yes, they can choose to get an education wherever they want, and that coach can determine if it’s worth a scholarship or not to allow him to wrestle there. It is no different than a good wrestler who grew up dreaming of going to Yale

It’s more about preserving the sport as a whole before it becomes a truly niche sport with only 30 D-1 teams.

Yale not having a wrestling team isn't the same as fans getting their feelings hurt and trying to tell students where to get their education... That's just sad... Even if they all go to penn state, it is what it is.

Blocking students from seeking out what's best for their individual life is wrong

47 minutes ago, DJT said:

I don’t have a school/team that I support. Yes, they can choose to get an education wherever they want, and that coach can determine if it’s worth a scholarship or not to allow him to wrestle there. It is no different than a good wrestler who grew up dreaming of going to Yale, but they don’t have a wrestling team. He can choose to go there and not wrestle, or he can go elsewhere and wrestle. Depends on his priorities.

Obviously, there should be exemptions carved out for coaching changes and grad transfers.

Fun fact:  college wrestling is already a niche sport, one four day span in March notwithstanding.

35 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Fun fact:  college wrestling is already a niche sport, one four day span in March notwithstanding.

And if we’re lucky, we can get down to 29 teams and be in the company of fencing… if we really try, we can get to 22 like water polo or 17 like rifle.

• Fire 1

Still some decent names in the portal who could make an impact somewhere:  Renteria, Nolan, Bryant, Carlson, Eichens, Pentz and some young freshman that could be developed somewhere. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 6/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

Brands is 37-19 in his career, a far cry from what his expectations were coming in as a 3 time Iowa big school champion and son of a World Champ and Hawkeye legend. Heck it would have been a disappointment if his name was not Brands. He wrestled the tourney of his life to get 5th. He realistically lacks the offense necessary to jump levels and will only go down from where he was. 

Assad has been a bigger disappointment with his Freestyle/Greco accomplishments and being a 2x big school Illinois champion. Assad has struggled to get any offense going in B1G ten matches and has laid Eggs at NCAAs. Iowa has not done well developing guys. It seems they get better quick year 1 but then that is all

There is a lot of revisionist history about Brands and Assad as recruits. Brands was barely a top 100 recruit. If his name wasn't Brands, he wouldn't have gotten the publicity he got as a recruit. He has far exceeded expectations. 

Assad ended up in the 20-30 range. He was ranked in the 80's for most of his career, but went on an absolute heater at cadet trials after his junior year and shot up to #1 in the country at his weight. He then went on to lose several times his senior year, including to a completely unranked guy. When you took in his whole body of work, he was a Max Murin tier recruit. He's really struggled with injuries at Iowa. He's had flashes of AA level production, but has never been that consistently.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Still some decent names in the portal who could make an impact somewhere:  Renteria, Nolan, Bryant, Carlson, Eichens, Pentz and some young freshman that could be developed somewhere. 

I am hoping Pentz goes to Michigan.

Nolan has already committed.  Pretty sure it is earlier in this thread.  Send Carlson to Michigan too at 149.

Eichens could benefit from change of scenery, but I thought his entering was a formality in case he couldn't get a masters program at Stanford?  I would love to see him drop to 165 and give a proper go at what might look like a more natural weight.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Nolan has already committed.  Pretty sure it is earlier in this thread.  Send Carlson to Michigan too at 149.

Eichens could benefit from change of scenery, but I thought his entering was a formality in case he couldn't get a masters program at Stanford?  I would love to see him drop to 165 and give a proper go at what might look like a more natural weight.

Hmmm... I don't see Nolan committed on Flo or Wrestlestat...but it could be back on page 48.5.  I agree on Eichens....he was a little thin at 174. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Lets get Michigan some transfers, been quite the drought from them.  What, like 20-30 minutes since the last one? 😉

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Lets get Michigan some transfers, been quite the drought from them.  What, like 20-30 minutes since the last one? 😉

They still won't have as many starting as your little yellow birdies.

I believe Cinny Jimmabon has you guys up to eight (8) transfer starters next season?

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pentz is going HWT going forward, fwiw

• Fire 2

TBD

4 minutes ago, Corby said:

Nebraska wouldn't shock me for Pentz .

I thought they were expecting four strong years from Harley Andrews there?  He went 22W-2L while on redshirt last season.  His two losses were underwhelming, to say the least... so I get it if they want another year.  Does Andrews get it, though?

56 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Cal Poly 125 lb Antonio Lorenzo in the portal.  The two-time national qualifier has two years left of eligibility.  Last year had wins over Nico Provo, Carter Bailey, and Noah Surtin.  125 is always a position of need so he should find a spot

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was kinda weird. Cal Poly is up and coming program and he is way past the date to enter the portal and still be eligible for next year. He already redshirted, so he can't use that next year. So I am a little perplexed as to why he would land in the portal. 

• Fire 1

125: Caleb Smith

133: Kyle Burwick or Jacob Van Dee

141: Brock Hardy

149: Ridge Lovett

157: Peyton Robb (Antrell Taylor until Robb is healthy)

165: Bubba Wilson

174: Elise Brown Ton

184: Lenny Pinto

197: Silas Allred

285: Owen Pentz

This is a fun team.  I'm ready for lots of "Letters to Elise" references this year as Brown Ton steps into the starting lineup.

Edited by flyingcement

Following are guys that remain in the transfer portal and have top 100 rank in Wrestlestat

125: Antonio Lorenzo (Cal Poly), Killian Delaney (Lehigh), Maximo Renteria (Illinois)

133: None

141: Cleveland Belton (Oregon State), Patrick Nolan (Michigan)

149: Manzona Bryant (Lehigh), Matt Laurie (Sacred Heart)

157: Nate Camiscioli (Purdue)

165: Cael Carlson (Minnesota), Donald Cates (North Carolina State)

174: Tyler Eischens (Stanford), Darrien Roberts (Oklahoma), Peyton Craft (Cornell), Corey Connelly (Rider)

184: Josh Stillings (Drexel)

197: Jonathan Fagen (Arizona State)

285: None

• Fire 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, flyingcement said:

Cal Poly 125 lb Antonio Lorenzo in the portal.  The two-time national qualifier has two years left of eligibility.  Last year had wins over Nico Provo, Carter Bailey, and Noah Surtin.  125 is always a position of need so he should find a spot

Maybe will be graduating after next season so just getting an early start for 2024-2025?

1 hour ago, Jimmerchips said:

Cael Carlson to Oklahoma

Picklo to 184?  If not who sits between him and Nachohouse?

Butler to 149?  Carlson or Nachohouse to 157?

59 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Picklo to 184?  If not who sits between him and Nachohouse?

Butler to 149?  Carlson or Nachohouse to 157?

Butler transferred to Rutgers. Picklo is the best of the bunch so he likely slides in wherever he wants (presumably 174) and Nacho/Carlson battle for 165 or go down. Hoose and Deanthony Parker both transferred in to OU this offseason and will be at 184.