2023 Transfer Portal

29 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Is moving a 5th place finisher at 174 up a weight class really the best option? Seems like Brands is finally starting to hit his groove. 

Brands is 37-19 in his career, a far cry from what his expectations were coming in as a 3 time Iowa big school champion and son of a World Champ and Hawkeye legend. Heck it would have been a disappointment if his name was not Brands. He wrestled the tourney of his life to get 5th. He realistically lacks the offense necessary to jump levels and will only go down from where he was. 

Assad has been a bigger disappointment with his Freestyle/Greco accomplishments and being a 2x big school Illinois champion. Assad has struggled to get any offense going in B1G ten matches and has laid Eggs at NCAAs. Iowa has not done well developing guys. It seems they get better quick year 1 but then that is all

• Stalling 1

27 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Brands is 37-19 in his career, a far cry from what his expectations were coming in as a 3 time Iowa big school champion and son of a World Champ and Hawkeye legend. Heck it would have been a disappointment if his name was not Brands. He wrestled the tourney of his life to get 5th. He realistically lacks the offense necessary to jump levels and will only go down from where he was. 

Assad has been a bigger disappointment with his Freestyle/Greco accomplishments and being a 2x big school Illinois champion. Assad has struggled to get any offense going in B1G ten matches and has laid Eggs at NCAAs. Iowa has not done well developing guys. It seems they get better quick year 1 but then that is all

Brands definitely did not have those expectations coming in.  He was a lower level recruit by recruiting rankings.  For example, he was 93rd on Flo's Big Board as a senior.

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031406-class-of-2018-big-board/28106-final-2018-big-board 

27 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Maybe we should entertain a limit on how many transfers any school can net in a single year. Is 2 a good number? It sucks seeing smaller name schools get screwed over year over yead

No because wrestlers would be prevented from going to universities they seek to continue education if they aren't the "first 2" on board. Some might want to take their time and visit schools, and restricting them in general sounds wrong. It's their life, they should get education where they choose, and the sport is paying for it. I was bummed when Penn State got Nagao, Messenbrink, Truax, but it is what it is my friend

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I also wonder if we see a bit of a room battle but in reality, maybe some middle weights will be suspended for this gambling scandal 

The only name I saw mentioned on HR, still speculation of course, was Assad. So that could make Brands moving up make more sense

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Its the younger but larger brother.  No way he beats Zerban 57 so seems like he would go 49

He needs to.  He lacks the physicality to be 157.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 6/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Maybe we should entertain a limit on how many transfers any school can net in a single year. Is 2 a good number? It sucks seeing smaller name schools get screwed over year over yead

90% would say yes... because the kids they have developed are getting plucked away by bigger schools.

10% will say no... because they are the  teams plucking the talent away from the smaller schools to fill out their roster.

Whatever the case, there aren't too many people arguing against some way to regulate NIL in all college sports. What that looks like is the tough part. Of course, teams with big money are fine with it because they can make their teams stronger by filling roster holes with kids from mid and lower level teams. It's happening in all sports... Men's basketball has seen a lot of guys moving around as well. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 6/16/2023 at 2:48 PM, Mr. PeanutButter said:

10?

Perhaps the way to limit transfers would be any transfer counts as 1 toward the 9.9 scholarships, whether they get scholarship money or not. Not sure if that would help or hurt smaller schools… a lot of moving parts to consider.

Some of you want to prohibit students from going to the school of their choice because your feelings got hurt? Just sounds wrong. Students should get an education wherever they want and too bad if it makes another team better. They earned the right to choose. It's their education, scholarship, future, etc.

I wasn't happy when Nagao, Truax, Mesenbrink all chose PSU, but I never cried for a rule change. That's just sad

30 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Some of you want to prohibit students from going to the school of their choice because your feelings got hurt? Just sounds wrong. Students should get an education wherever they want and too bad if it makes another team better. They earned the right to choose. It's their education, scholarship, future, etc.

I wasn't happy when Nagao, Truax, Mesenbrink all chose PSU, but I never cried for a rule change. That's just sad

You forgot about the part where when coaches change these kids should just stfu and deal with it.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me