2023 Transfer Portal

His plans are for the future and he believes that the ASU coaching staff is where he will be the best version of himself for that.
It is a surprise to me that it is a surprise to anyone that someone would be willing to wait one year to start at NCAA wrestling when their plans are much further and deeper than that.

I am surprised that you are surprised that I do not know Richard Figueroa’s plans for beyond college. I was merely making the elite recruit riding the bench connection. Apparently I am less perceptive of the inner workings of ASU’s roster than the rest of this board and I will not make that mistake again.

Thank you for making me delve deeper into my arsenal of snappy comebacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

When Oklahoma made the coaching change I was kinda hoping that Zan might stay at home in Missouri and become a Tiger.  I know we can't keep em all home, especially with NIL, but Mizzou needs to be able to shut down the borders for our best.  Zan would have given Mizzou some strong depth at 133.  Is any one in the know why he chose to go elsewhere?  Guess its karma for Mizzou stealing Wisconsin talent.

I don't want to speak for Zan or his family. But, from the outside looking in, training with Seth Gross/Eric Barnett doesn't seem like a bad situation for an incoming freshman.

Edited by MidwestWrest
typo

58 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I am surprised that you are surprised that I do not know Richard Figueroa’s plans for beyond college. I was merely making the elite recruit riding the bench connection. Apparently I am less perceptive of the inner workings of ASU’s roster than the rest of this board and I will not make that mistake again.

Thank you for making me delve deeper into my arsenal of snappy comebacks.

Well let me tell you h-what, there you young gent you.

I am surprised that you were surprised that I was surprised that you are surprised that something may or may not have happened or not happened in the realm of might be possible for the 7th quare root of 4,265 * 2.2046 / 25.4.

J/s... shouldn't be shocked.  ~Simple-ish Engrish.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

15 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Did he have a clear path to start at least three years?

Knowing Zan, I doubt this played into his decision. He's not afraid of competition. I would imagine he chose the place that he felt gave him the best opportunity to achieve his goals on and off the mat.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, MidwestWrest said:

Knowing Zan, I doubt this played into his decision. He's not afraid of competition. I would imagine he chose the place that he felt gave him the best opportunity to achieve his goals on and off the mat.

Not saying you’re wrong about anything, but if his achievements on and off where part of his decision and this is not a knock on the Sooners, why choose them in the first place? I understand the coaching change, but have the Sooners had a WT member in freestyle recently? I know Zan is more Greco, how have the Sooners done on that end? A lot of MO good Mo guys have wrestled for OU. Bailey, Joiner, Penner, Wingburmuhler, The Lester’s, Brewer etc. So Mizzou losing recruits to OU isn’t new. Spates did a great job getting some of the top MO talent. But that was years ago that OU was relevant. Just my thoughts. I wish Zan nothing but the best. Do Mo proud at Wisconsin.

58 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Not saying you’re wrong about anything, but if his achievements on and off where part of his decision and this is not a knock on the Sooners, why choose them in the first place? I understand the coaching change, but have the Sooners had a WT member in freestyle recently? I know Zan is more Greco, how have the Sooners done on that end? A lot of MO good Mo guys have wrestled for OU. Bailey, Joiner, Penner, Wingburmuhler, The Lester’s, Brewer etc. So Mizzou losing recruits to OU isn’t new. Spates did a great job getting some of the top MO talent. But that was years ago that OU was relevant. Just my thoughts. I wish Zan nothing but the best. Do Mo proud at Wisconsin.

You are correct Zan is a big Greco guy. When Zan was getting recruited OU had Sam Hazewinkel on staff, who made many Greco world teams. He and Zan had a good relationship. Not saying that was the only reason he went there, but I do know that helped. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, MidwestWrest said:

Also, Madison is a pretty nice place to go to college. Consistently ranked a top 10 college town in America. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, warren_haynes said:

Also, Madison is a pretty nice place to go to college. Consistently ranked a top 10 college town in America. 

If you can stand people from Madison... 🤷‍♂️

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, MidwestWrest said:

I don't want to speak for Zan or his family. But, from the outside looking in, training with Seth Gross/Eric Barnett doesn't seem like a bad situation for an incoming freshman.

that was a major part of his decision. He loved Illinois too, he and Webster are good friends.  Zan plans on fighting after college. He will push for a starting position, but I think his pops hopes for a RS year to develop. 

• Fire 1

21 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

in the beginning Zan did not want to stay in Missouri, he wanted to get away, but not too far.  OU gave Zan a lot of love, and he was offered a sweet deal.  It was not long before ALL major colleges were calling him, wanting him to decommit and come to their school. OU was in a good spot, because like I said, they jumped on him early.  The family was as loyal as you could get, Scott would not want his phone number given out.  I know this was a stressful situation and when things went south at OU, Zan took another look around.  Mizzu's success speaks for itself, Wisky was nice because of the partners and I know pops loved Illinois.  Byrd and Webster would have been great partners. Ultimately you will not find a better kid than Zan, hard worker, and does not get into all the extra stuff off the mat.  He wants to fight one day, but right now he wants to win a natty and make a world team.  As an OU fan, him leaving hurt.....but I totally understood. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You called this one a while back, yeah?

I don’t know if I called it specifically, but I did call that he would be a good fit. We got the  gas tank … now the vanilla gorilla. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 5/29/2023 at 6:28 PM, nhs67 said:

It is Swafford's brother.

No… it’s not. I am a wrestling media guy (a silly little page called The Pin Doctors)  and am probably the least social “wrestling media guy” out of any of them and am becoming more that way as time goes by. I don’t ever know the “gossip” stuff from any room, let alone that one… I don’t discuss any other wrestler with my brother other than just him. I don’t even bother to ask him when I discuss wrestling with him because 1.) It puts him in a terrible position (something I learned the hard way during a 2022 situation that’s been beaten to death already) and 2.) I genuinely don’t care. To anyone who has ever followed my page or my stuff dating back to The Predicament, I doubt you’d find many who would say my “M-O” is the wrestling news/gossip stuff. I’m just not into it and it never even occurs to me to ever ask my brother what “so and so” is weighing, who won in Madden between “so and so” and “so and so,” etc. I just really don’t care. I can go to a meet expecting to see world-beaters and would still able to enjoy my time if a bunch of 4th stringers competed. 

And I’m not stupid. I get it. I understand 💯 why people would think it’s me and I can probably list 3-4 reasons as to what would make ppl think that, starting with which groups I share my own Facebook PinDox posts in sometimes…not to mention my big, stupid mouth in a strenuous situation of the 2021-22 season. It looks bad…. I get that. 

I wasn’t THAT social with other wrestling media to begin with and have taken yet another few steps back from all that since this past fall when I noticed some people assuming certain info was leaked by me. It’s not… and it certainly won’t ever be in the future because now not only do I genuinely not care about the gossip, but I go out of my way to not ever know any of it so it’s damn clear to my own family that it’s not me… which is really the only people I care about in terms of what their opinions are on me and my wrestling mouth.

Funny thing is, 75% of the gossip “leaks” that I’ve read ppl blaming me for is stuff that I STILL don’t know to this day because I care THAT little about wrestling gossip stuff to where I don’t even have the motivation to look up what supposedly came from me. 

People pm me asking me to break news about multiple programs on a daily basis and I rarely even respond to these messages. Because that’s not my bag because I don’t care about it at all. Things are just gonna unwind as they do and I’m fine with that. 

Sidenote: After some of the mentioned drama from 2021-22, I quit drinking to ensure I never publicly got pissed and went off the handle running my mouth again like I did after the Iowa-Minnesota meet last year. I was hammered that night. And was mortified afterwards. I’ve only been hammered one time since that I can recall and I can’t even frigging believe that, for I used to binge-drink most weekends and every day in my 20’s. Never thought I’d see the day where I didn’t have to worry about the rambunctiousness of “Drunk Swaff.” That was a terrible situation for us, but at least THAT came from it… I needed to stop all that as it was. 

• Fire 7