Was it a slam? Gomez

Dark Energy

I don’t know how to link a tweet here.  Our very own MatScouts retweeted a tweet that shows the finish to the mat deemed illegal.  Angle isn’t great but it does seem to put the lifted opponent down on head and Gomez lifts own feet into air which has effect of driving opponent even harder into mat.  Does look illegal to me.  

Are there others that disagree?

Second Q - Bono can be heard in the video saying that you can’t slam from a double leg.  Verdict?  I say BS.  Gomez had opponent clearly lifted into air.  You can do an illegal slam from that position.

Edited by Dark Energy

9 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

I don’t know how to link a tweet here.  Our very own MatScouts retweeted a tweet that shows the finish to the mat deemed illegal.  Angle isn’t great but it does seem to put the lifted opponent down on head and Gomez lifts own feet into air which has effect of driving opponent even harder into mat.  Does look illegal to me.  

Are there others that disagree?

Second Q - Bono can be heard in the video saying that you can’t slam from a double leg.  Verdict?  I say BS.  Gomez had opponent clearly lifted into air.  You can do an illegal slam from that position.

Can't slam from a double?  I wonder if Mr. Bono knows that you can even slam from bottom?

• Fire 2

Yeah, I don't think it was malicious as Gomez wrestles with high intensity, but it looked to me like he left his own feet, which will definitely get you DQ. He also brought him down on his head. If you have your opponent up in the air, it is your responsibility to bring them down in a safe and controlled manner. 

• Fire 4

1 minute ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, I don't think it was malicious as Gomez wrestles with high intensity, but it looked to me like he left his own feet, which will definitely get you DQ. He also brought him down on his head. If you have your opponent up in the air, it is your responsibility to bring them down in a safe and controlled manner. 

Agree with everything, and intent doesn't really matter.  Opponent also ended up concussed.

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Can't slam from a double?  I wonder if Mr. Bono knows that you can even slam from bottom?

Art. 3. Slam. The term “slam” is interpreted as lifting and bringing an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a wrestler in either the top or bottom position on the mat and in the neutral position during a takedown. When a wrestler lifts the opponent off the mat and brings that wrestler to the mat with excessive force, a slam shall be called without hesitation after the situation occurs. If an illegal hold starts within the match and concludes after the match is over, it shall be penalized as an in-match violation.

Art. 3. Slam. The term “slam” is interpreted as lifting and bringing an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a wrestler in either the top or bottom position on the mat and in the neutral position during a takedown. When a wrestler lifts the opponent off the mat and brings that wrestler to the mat with excessive force, a slam shall be called without hesitation after the situation occurs. If an illegal hold starts within the match and concludes after the match is over, it shall be penalized as an in-match violation.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4629-2021-22-and-2022-23-ncaa-wrestling-rules.aspx

(Oops - BRF beat me to it)

Edited by Red Blades

In the moment I thought his knee either buckled from under him or didn't have the stability to bring him down right so he just sort of flopped to the mat like a sack of potatoes. The video that Vak posted looks a little more like a WWE move though. Gomez gets a little airborne.

i also thought that gomez lost his balance during the lift and it led to a very awkward, accidental landing for miller but i'm not sure anymore. didn't look great from the drewblogz tweet Vak posted. gomez got an at-large, though, so we'll see if the loss to Rooks was an abberation or the state of his current health.

5 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Illegal. As has been said, there was no doubt after he clearly left his feet.

Good on the ref for calling it "without hesitation" and not wavering. That's not an easy spot to be in.

probably helped if Bono wasn't arguing the call 

Edited by ugarles

Bono does need to cool it sometimes, but remember that NCAA match where the referee wrongly thought it was the end of the period and whistled the action stopped while one of his guys (can't remember who) was pinning his opponent? People were shocked that Bono didn't lay into the ref.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Incredible that this was ruled a slam BY Waters and 1 point was awarded to Gilman.

That was no slam by Waters.   He was just along for the ride.  It's a great 2 point move in freestyle.

mspart

6 hours ago, mspart said:

That was no slam by Waters.   He was just along for the ride.  It's a great 2 point move in freestyle.

mspart

It wasn't but that's how the ref called it. 1 and 1 for Gilman shot after the whistle. Ref botched that call horribly.