Iowa v PSU - Jan. 27, 2023

Wrestleknownothing

I know, I know. Getting an early start here. When it was announced the TheMat forum was shutting down there was already a topic for predictions of this dual. Six fearless posters made weight by weight predictions and I decided to hang on to them in the hopes that a new forum would form. 

Well, here we are.

Below are the predictions made by The Six. At least five of you have migrated to the new board: @flyingcement, @Barracuda141, @nhs67, @VakAttack, @Le duke. (Only MSU158 is missing in action, though he appears to be active on HR. Perhaps Vak can reach out to him and encourage his return).

I wanted to do the same thing as last year and keep track of predictions for this dual. But a lot of water has gone under the bridge since late September / early October. So I also wanted to give The Super Six a chance to revise their predictions, or double down. This is what 2022 you thought. What says 2023 you?

The Super Six Seers:

image.png.bb94aac5ea0b284643d43d99b375ccd8.png

Two for Iowa, two for PSU and two ties. I love symmetry.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

My take:

125 Lee by FALL Iowa 6-0

133 RBY by MAJ Iowa 6-3

141: Woods by DEC Iowa 9-3

149: Murin by DEC Iowa 12-3

157: Haines by DEC Iowa 12-6

165: Kennedy by DEC 15-6

174: Starroci by MAJ 15-10

184: Brooks by MAJ 15-14

197: Warner by DEC 18-14

HWT: Kerk by DEC 18-17

Iowa wins 18-17

(This result is subject to Woods being healthy enough to wrestle, of course.)

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon
  • Fire 3

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Are we allowed to tweak @Wrestleknownothing?

I think we see a different roster for both sides.

I think Barlett ends up beating Schriever, Haines Majors Seibriecht, Lee pins Steen.

absolutely. I only posted these as a reminder of what you said previously. All predictions are subject until you tell me they are final.

Now that I’ve seen more, and with more reflection on where it is on the calendar:

Lee FALL Steen
RBY MAJ whoever
Woods DEC Bartlett
SVN DEC Murin
Haines DEC whoever
Kennedy DEC Facundo, but just barely
Starocci DEC Brands
Brooks DEC Assad
Dean DEC Warner
Kerk DEC Cassioppi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thought.

Feel free to change your minds as many times as you like in the next two weeks. Go ahead and share your predictions now, but don't feel locked in since there will be many more data points to consider between now and then.

With an exception for The Original Six (screw the NHL). You get two bites of the apple. Your TheMat prediction and whatever your final thoughts are here.

I’m more interested in how PSU looks against UM and MSU.

This two week gap is likely where PSU has their hardest training period of the year. I expect an uncharacteristically poor performance or three next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

My take:

125 Lee by FALL Iowa 6-0

133 RBY by MAJ Iowa 6-3

141: Woods by DEC Iowa 9-3

149: Murin by DEC Iowa 12-3

157: Haines by DEC Iowa 12-6

165: Kennedy by DEC 15-6

174: Starroci by MAJ 15-10

184: Brooks by MAJ 15-14

197: Warner by DEC 18-14

HWT: Kerk by DEC 18-17

Iowa wins 18-17

(This result is subject to Woods being healthy enough to wrestle, of course.)

It's also subject to arithmetic.  If 133 goes "RBY by MAJ," as predicted, then the score will be 18-18, not 18-17.  Although I guess Iowa still wins on criteria because of Lee's fall?  (Although out of fairness, shouldn't his opponent get some sort of bonus point if he can last till the second period before getting stuck?  Good grief Lee is not messing around.  Him "healthy" is just something to behold.)

29 minutes ago, dragit said:

It's also subject to arithmetic.  If 133 goes "RBY by MAJ," as predicted, then the score will be 18-18, not 18-17.  Although I guess Iowa still wins on criteria because of Lee's fall?  (Although out of fairness, shouldn't his opponent get some sort of bonus point if he can last till the second period before getting stuck?  Good grief Lee is not messing around.  Him "healthy" is just something to behold.)

He's predicting a team point penalty!

4 hours ago, dragit said:

If Lee does get a fall, you bet on RBY, Starocci or Brooks matching it.  My guess Brooks. PSU will then take it on total match points. 

Iowa wins 125 and favored in closer matches at 141 and 165, could win 149 and possibly 285 but Kerk has size and athletic advantage on Cass now. The only other weight with a slight chance is 157. I could lump 197 into the same chance as 157 but Warner not wrestling well, has an injury issue. So PSU gimmie winners at 133, 174 and 184 with bonus at at least two of the 3 weights and possibly all 3. Solid favorites at 197. Slight favorites at 285 and 157. Toss up at 149. 20-12 or 17-15 PSU depending on 149. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lee by pinfall

RBY by major

Woods by decision

Van Ness by decision

Haines by decision (or Seibrecht by decision if Barraclough wrestles)

Facundo by decision

Starocci by major

Brooks by major

Dean by decision

Kerkvliet by decision

27-9 PSU (or 24 - 12 if Barraclough wrestles)

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

I have predictions from @flyingcement, MSU158 (no longer here?), @Barracuda141, @nhs67, @VakAttack, @Le duke from prior to the start of the season, and @Jimmy Cinnabon, @nhs67, @Mr. PeanutButter, @Le duke, @Wrestleknownothing, @Jimmy Cinnabon (again), @VakAttack, and @Perry from the last few days.

Anyone else want to get in on the action?

125 - Lee Pin Steen 6-0 Iowa

133 - RBY Dec Teske 6-3 Iowa

141 - Woods Dec Bartlett 9-3 Iowa

149 - Murin Dec Van Ness 12-3 Iowa

157 - Seibrecht Dec Bear claw 15-3 Iowa

165 - Kennedy dec Facundo 18-3 Iowa

174 - Starocci dec Brands 18-6 Iowa

184 - Brooks maj Dec Assad 18-10 Iowa

197- Dean tech fall Franklin 18-15 Iowa

Hwt - Kerk dec Cassiopi  18-18 Iowa

Is it clear that Warner is out?   The thing about this dual is that PSU a chance to win 9 out of 10 and strong favorites in at least 3.  While Iowa (without Warner) is heavy favorite in only one and has a strong chance to win 5 or 6.   Iowa will have some sadness if only Lee gets the win - is Hawkeye wrestlenation worried?     Should they be?

125 Lee pin Steen 6-0 Iowa

133 RBY dec Teske 6-3 Iowa (will be pursuing major)

141 Woods dec Bartlett 9-3 Iowa (razor thin match)

149 Murin dec Van Ness 12-3 Iowa (another razor thin margin)

157 Haines dec Siebrecht (not a close decision) 12-6 Iowa 

165 Kennedy dec Facundo 15-6 Iowa

174 Starocci dec Brands 15-9 Iowa

184 Brooks dec Asaad 15-12 Iowa (will be close to major)

197 Dean dec Warner 15-15 tie

285 Cassioppi dec Kerkvliet 18-15 Iowa

If PSU can get some bonus points out of studs who don't usually score a lot, it is a problem for Iowa.  Iowa also can't afford to lose 141, 149, 165, or 285 and frankly I would be surprised to see them win all four.