John Smith retires

I cannot imagine Coleman left a head coaching position at UNC without it being essentially a done deal that he got the job after John retired. The kids seemed super receptive to Coleman coming in as well when flow was interviewing them.

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

Maybe because it is a state institution they have to follow certain procedures to fill a position?

Schools will also sometimes name an interim head coach as a gesture of goodwill if there are big alumni boosters who want to weigh in on a replacement. I don't know if OSU is like that, but it does happen.

15 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I, for one, will miss Coach Smith's interactions with the media.  He wasn't one to pull punches!

I will also miss Askren's impression of John Smith.  Perhaps we will get that one last time when they inevitably discuss this on the show next week.

• Bob 1

Just now, fishbane said:

I will also miss Askren's impression of John Smith.  Perhaps we will get that one last time when they inevitably discuss this on the show next week.

I enjoy Askren's impression, too.  We were about to lose that when Ben leaves FRL in a week or two, but the announcement gives him an opportunity to do it.  Otherwise, we may have never heard it again.

I was really under the belief he had one more good season left in him as the head coach.  The team still looks decent, doesn't have the headache of Ferrari anymore, and had Scott riding shotgun to help take on some of that daily coaching grind.  In true "Cowboy" fashion he just decides to ride off into the sunset of the off season rather than taking one last farewell tour.  Still one heck of a career as a competitor and coach.  

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Bob 2

18 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Why the interim title for Coleman then? We all agree - this makes no sense.

Tony Ramos thought the same thing.

Rob Koll to Stillwater: CONFIRMED

• Potato 1

i am an idiot on the internet

From the Pistols Firing Blog:

Before this past season began, Coleman Scott, who wrestled under Smith, left his head coaching position at North Carolina to become associate head coach for the Cowboys. Scott has been elevated to interim head coach after Smith’s retirement and, by Oklahoma State law, the job must be publicly posted and open for at least five days before a hire is made, even if it’s an internal hire. OSU announced Smith and athletic director Chad Weiberg will host a news conference Monday about Smith’s decision to retire, but that release did not state anything about Coleman or announcing a hire.”

Does anyone else think it would be at least wise for OSU to call Pat Pop and see:

1. If he has any interest at all?
  2. If yes, what would it take?

He has, without a doubt, had the most coaching success of any OSU alum. Let me be clear, I 100% think this is Coleman's job and is probably just a formality. But I also think they should at least TRY to see if Pat Pop would be interested. I know he's said he's very happy at NCST, but money talks and people always have a soft spot for their alma mater.

45 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Does anyone else think it would be at least wise for OSU to call Pat Pop and see:

I'm sure that call was made last year.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 2

It was time for John. He was that grumpy old fart yelling "you kids get off my lawn".

He looked 80 years old and unhappy - even though only 4/5 years older than Tom & Terry.

OSU looked a bit better this year - until Iowa woke  them up to reality once again - and Iowa really wasn't any  great shakes either.

Really hope John goes into calling matches. Especially Olympic and International freestyle. His analysis, commentary and calling out what could be done was great to hear during the matches.

Wish him the best. All time great - but it was time to walk off the mat.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

An absolute legend in his own lifetime!

Interesting item: As good as the B1G is in wrestling, the Big8/12 has produced the head coaches with the best results and most team Championships since the mid-70s -  granted with the majority coming at B1G institutions (Big8/12 wrestlers that have coached NC teams in this time-frame: Gable, Gibbons, Seay, Robinson and Sanderson compared with Brands and Ryan from the B1G).

• Wrestle 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I enjoy Askren's impression, too.  We were about to lose that when Ben leaves FRL in a week or two, but the announcement gives him an opportunity to do it.  Otherwise, we may have never heard it again.

Ben Askren to the Oklahoma State Head Coach position is exactly what college wrestling could use right now...

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, OMW said:

An absolute legend in his own lifetime!

Interesting item: As good as the B1G is in wrestling, the Big8/12 has produced the head coaches with the best results and most team Championships since the mid-70s -  granted with the majority coming at B1G institutions (Big8/12 wrestlers that have coached NC teams in this time-frame: Gable, Gibbons, Seay, Robinson and Sanderson compared with Brands and Ryan from the B1G).

and Zalesky for the B1G coaches with NC teams (oversight)...

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

... And Douglas.

JW - Thanks for the addition/reminder. Great error on my part. I'd forgotten Bobby Douglas had wrestled at OSU. Which closes the circle (his ASU outlier team from 1988), as those are the coaches that have won NCAA championships from Gable's 1st one at Iowa through this most recent one that Sanderson has with Penn State.

• Bob 1

12 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

Coleman Scott is an uninspiring choice.  

OSU looked better this past season than they have for some time.

• Bob 1
  • Racing Family 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.