Iowa Losing Recruits???

I don't get the correlation between not drinking at all and being successful. RBY did an interview where he talked about being in the bars and he had plenty of success. As long as you don't overdo it and pick your spots it shouldn't be a problem. A few beers over Thanksgiving or Christmas break or even between the conference tournament and nationals to unwind isn't going to hurt anybody. 

Just now, buckshot said:

I don't get the correlation between not drinking at all and being successful. RBY did an interview where he talked about being in the bars and he had plenty of success. As long as you don't overdo it and pick your spots it shouldn't be a problem. A few beers over Thanksgiving or Christmas break or even between the conference tournament and nationals to unwind isn't going to hurt anybody. 

I thought this was America. We didn't fight a war to repeal the 18th amendment to have these coaches ban drinking on campus.  This is an outrage!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

It's a significant overreach for a coach to police whether an athlete drinks or. not. Obviously drinking too much would hurt athletic performance, but some of the greatest athletes ever drink from time to time (this is an understatement). And of course, if you're showing up to practice or matches hungover, that is a problem. 

Should coaches decide whether athletes are allowed to have relationships? Obviously they would perform better if they only focused on school and wrestling.  What about policing exactly what an athlete eats? Should a coach be allowed to create a rule banning eating certain foods?

You really think people can't drink in their dorms? What do you think those minifridges that every college student brings to campus are for?

Can't throw a big party.

I don't think the mere presence of the Ferraris is going to cause any Iowa wrestler to transfer. They practice with them, go to duals/tournaments with them then don't need to be their friends off the mat, they can handle that. Chittum was a special case since he had a previous history with Anthony Ferrari at Blair.

That being said, if they act up in the room, try to play by their own rules (like when AJ chose to go to Vegas for UFC instead of Big 12s just because he wasn't wrestling) and Brands continues to excuse the behavior due to them being good wrestlers then I can see some leaving because you're showing these outsiders on their 5th chance are bigger than the team. I don't see Brands letting it get to that. 

13 hours ago, buckshot said:

There was a national champ with no more eligibility that enjoyed a Bud Light last year after he won NCAAs and that picture circulated and certainly made the tabloid rounds. And to think those were the "good" days of wrestling papparazzi 🤣

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

21 hours ago, alex1fly said:

I don't see what the fuss about them is anymore. AJ could probably make All American status, but in the day of the portal and NIL why take on the risk of blowing up your wrestling room with a known liability when you can just try to nab a high end transfer? Angelo is probably All American material potentially competing for a title as well, but you never know as he's still in high school. Anthony on the other hand doesn't seem like he could make the podium. I get that they're a package deal but they're certainly not the second coming that everyone thought they might be a couple of years ago.

The portal is exactly why you do it.  Doesn’t work out buy some more kids and move on. 

22 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I know okie state and George Mason are dry. Probably others, so not technically 99% but there are very view that are dry. (I bet and hope that becomes the norm; there’s plenty of drinking to do when you’re don’t competing) 

I know for a fact Okie State was NOT dry as of about 5-6 years ago. Could have changed though. 

21 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I forget where I heard it, but that is what I heard. George mason is zero tolerance so I believe you’re done if you get caught (they are upfront about it in recruiting which helps attract the right people).

I think 100% of coaches want a dry program but it’s easier said than done. Purdue was dry in season, which I assume is the case at most any school. 

Most programs are dry in-season, but not 365.

20 hours ago, Ched64 said:

NC State definitely…and well enforced….and not in season but from cradle to grave….first day freshman year till you walk off campus…if Ok State does it, they have had a tought time enforcing it…won’t name names but quite a few athletes there have had trouble complying

When Bono was at SDSU he ran a dry program year round I believe. Not sure if that is still the case. 

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

When Bono was at SDSU he ran a dry program year round I believe. Not sure if that is still the case. 

maybe he can get away with it at SDSU, but to forbid Wisconsinites from drinking the precious nectar of New Glarus Brewing Company?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

I don't think the mere presence of the Ferraris is going to cause any Iowa wrestler to transfer. They practice with them, go to duals/tournaments with them then don't need to be their friends off the mat, they can handle that. Chittum was a special case since he had a previous history with Anthony Ferrari at Blair.

That being said, if they act up in the room, try to play by their own rules (like when AJ chose to go to Vegas for UFC instead of Big 12s just because he wasn't wrestling) and Brands continues to excuse the behavior due to them being good wrestlers then I can see some leaving because you're showing these outsiders on their 5th chance are bigger than the team. I don't see Brands letting it get to that. 

I’m trying to imagine any Ferrari not acting up in the room or playing by their own rules… it’s not working lol

Dude couldn't even handle a Durango going fast and now he thinks he can handle a real car? 

Must be why he is getting a drivers ed lesson on how to do zoomies in the parking lot.

i am an idiot on the internet

Back to the original question....

There are less than 80 D1 Wrestling Programs and Iowa stands alone in terms of what it can offer in terms of attendance and state wide enthusiasm.  Only Penn State even enters the conversation.  The team is coached by an Olympic Gold Medalist and 3 x NCAA Champ with a history of coaching AA's and team titles.  When it comes to landiing elite level talent, Iowa may lose a kid or 2 due to some shenanigans.  But any notion that they are going to struggle--in a real sense of the word--is silly.  They're Iowa.  

Personally, I think the Brands are often immature.  But I also don't think it matters nearly as much as people want to think it does.  Remember, Spencer Lee went to Iowa.  He's as great as it gets.  

• Haha 1