Aaron Nagao injured?

Jimmy Cinnabon

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

I think Iowa gets 3 wins. 141 and then two out of 125/133/157/165/HWT. 

is starocci going to wrestle for sure? If he doesn’t wrestle does Facundo go 174? I feel like Facundo was pretty long and lean and 165. I wonder if the pull to 165 was difficult and he would make a jump in results going up a weight. He’s surely talented and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the mix at 174 if CStarr was gone. 

So Iowa by a little winning a minimum 7 matches.  PSU maybe gets 3.  1 if they're lucky

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

39 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't know that I agree with this statement. He had a single SV loss to in his opening match to Pletcher his frosh year and would have been the #1 or #2 seed (I can't remember if Lugo or Pletcher won the B1g finals but that was your 1 and 3 seeds). 2021 you may recall that Stanford was cutting the program so he overloaded his academic schedule to graduate from Stanford in 3 years in order to transfer somewhere to wrestle the following year and he quite literally stepped on to the mat to still make R12, and if anything he "regressed" in 2022 finishing "only" 6th place with a return to normalcy 2023 at Iowa.

Did Woods improve as much as the next person with 5 years under their belt? Absolutely. But I don't feel like he took any special leap at Iowa because of Iowa last year. NCAA finalist has always been the expectation for Woods.

Alirez disagrees.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, hawkguy said:

I dont see iowa winning, but at the same times facts are facts. Kerk beat cass because he filled into the weight finally and is just plain and simply better. 

Not the case for bartlett

You may be interested in knowing that apparently Kerkvliet is heading down to 97 KG?  Source: Some deplorable on these forums said so.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You may be interested in knowing that apparently Kerkvliet is heading down to 97 KG?  Source: Some deplorable on these forums said so.

He's on that Carter Starocci "cut my leg off" diet

i am an idiot on the internet

On 10/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, flyingcement said:

125: Ayala over Howard

133: Teske over Braeden Davis

141: Woods and Bartlett - toss up

149: Van Ness over Voinovich

157: Haines over Franek

165: Mesenbrink over Caliendo

174: Starocci over Kennedy

184: Truax over Brands

197: Brooks over Ferrari, Assad, or Franklin

285: Kerkvliet over Ferrari or Cassioppi - Steveson would be favored though.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think Ferrari loses to Kerkvliet if those rumors of him not having a chance to reach 197 are true. 

9 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think Ferrari loses to Kerkvliet if those rumors of him not having a chance to reach 197 are true. 

Kerkvliet is the perfect type of heavyweight that would manhandle Ferrari.  Hes extremely tall, long, and athletic

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

9 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

A guy who hasn't wrestled a match at 285 and hasn't spent much time actually wrestling the last two (2) calendar years is going to beat a guy who is in the best training situation in, quite possibly, the world that has been training and showing clear signs of improvement?

Nah bro.

• Fire 2

In this hypothetical match, I would give the upper hand to Kerk but to say anyone would manhandle Ferrari whether you like him or not is definitely a stretch. I think the most advantage Kerk has is if he is able to use a high thigh ride on top to try and take some of the steam out of Ferrari. I guess the mystery is how much rust will Ferrari be shaking off and how much will the size impact Ferraris ability to score. 

3 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

In this hypothetical match, I would give the upper hand to Kerk but to say anyone would manhandle Ferrari whether you like him or not is definitely a stretch. I think the most advantage Kerk has is if he is able to use a high thigh ride on top to try and take some of the steam out of Ferrari. I guess the mystery is how much rust will Ferrari be shaking off and how much will the size impact Ferraris ability to score. 

Yep. I believe that Ferrari was pulling from 225 or so down to 197 when he won a title so if he is now unable to make 197 (I don’t think that is the case but some seem convinced even though he says otherwise) you would have to assume he’s up in the 230-240 range. 

19 hours ago, Le duke said:

Given that my post was about 157 and 165lb wrestlers (“middleweights”), I’m not sure why you are quoting me and responding with statements about people who wrestle in the 141lb weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being Penn State isn't the same thing as being bad.  Iowa has developed well at the middleweights.  They took Lugo from a non-AA to the 1 seed at NCAAs.  They developed Max Murin into a high seed/eventual AA.  Kaleb Young was a multiple AA.  Brandon Sorensen was a multiple AA and finalist.  None of those guys were can't miss recruits.

Going back a little bit before that you have Derek St. John and Metcalf as success stories.  Mark Perry took that final step under the Brands regime.  The biggest individual ding against them is probably Marinelli's postseason faltering.

Did I mis-speak about Woods meeting Alirez in the NCAA finals?

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Alirez disagrees.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

NCAA finalist has always been the expectation for Woods.

Edited by bnwtwg

i am an idiot on the internet

19 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think it is very difficult to quantify Woods' improvement. While his placement improved his relative placement did not. He was the second highest finishing returner and finished second, after surpassing Matthews and being surpassed by Alirez.

Being surpassed by Alirez is a little strong.  Alirez won the match, but it was off one move where he was being ridden like a dog.  He scored no other points.  The year before, when Woods beat Alirez at the Scuffle, it as a 5-4 decision.  The two are close.  No doubt Alirez won, but surpassed is probably not the correct word choice there, though I suppose I'm devolving into the same semantics debates I criticized others for earlier.

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Being surpassed by Alirez is a little strong.  Alirez won the match, but it was off one move where he was being ridden like a dog.  He scored no other points.  The year before, when Woods beat Alirez at the Scuffle, it as a 5-4 decision.  The two are close.  No doubt Alirez won, but surpassed is probably not the correct word choice there, though I suppose I'm devolving into the same semantics debates I criticized others for earlier.

Interesting. I chose surpassed intentionally because I thought it was neutral.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

A guy who hasn't wrestled a match at 285 and hasn't spent much time actually wrestling the last two (2) calendar years is going to beat a guy who is in the best training situation in, quite possibly, the world that has been training and showing clear signs of improvement?

Nah bro.

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Kerkvliet is the perfect type of heavyweight that would manhandle Ferrari.  Hes extremely tall, long, and athletic

Like I said, I'm probably in the minority, but Ferrari isn't getting manhandled by Kerk. He's not Tate Orndorff. 

I hope the match happens. Ferrari, if nothing else, is train-wreck entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Ferrari, if nothing else, is train-wreck entertaining. 

This part is very true.... there are possibly things that could happen in the next two months that nobody saw coming..... 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Not being Penn State isn't the same thing as being bad.  Iowa has developed well at the middleweights.  They took Lugo from a non-AA to the 1 seed at NCAAs.  They developed Max Murin into a high seed/eventual AA.  Kaleb Young was a multiple AA.  Brandon Sorensen was a multiple AA and finalist.  None of those guys were can't miss recruits.

Going back a little bit before that you have Derek St. John and Metcalf as success stories.  Mark Perry took that final step under the Brands regime.  The biggest individual ding against them is probably Marinelli's postseason faltering.

You had me until here.

Metcalf was as legit as they come as a sure-fire recruit.

50 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Like I said, I'm probably in the minority, but Ferrari isn't getting manhandled by Kerk. He's not Tate Orndorff. 

I hope the match happens. Ferrari, if nothing else, is train-wreck entertaining. 

Aye, I do agree with your latter part.

I do think of all the HWTs currently in D1... Kerkvliet is likely the one that is going to handle him.  He isn't going to be as functionally strong, he is smaller, shorter, and again... just everything keeps adding up against him.  He is a physical wrestler.  He is going to take his lumps against some big, strong HWTs.

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You had me until here.

Metcalf was as legit as they come as a sure-fire recruit.

I didn't purposely include him (or DSJ) in the part about sure-fire recruits.  They're in a separate paragraph.  Both Metcalf and DSJ were big-time recruits.  I was simply using Metcalf and DSJ to bolster the Brands success in the middleweights.  After all, most of PSUs success at those weights includes super high end recruits.

Trust me, I know Metcalf was a sure-fire guy, he's my all-time favorite Hawkeye.

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Aye, I do agree with your latter part.

I do think of all the HWTs currently in D1... Kerkvliet is likely the one that is going to handle him.  He isn't going to be as functionally strong, he is smaller, shorter, and again... just everything keeps adding up against him.  He is a physical wrestler.  He is going to take his lumps against some big, strong HWTs.

I don’t think Ferrari beats Cassioppi if we’re assuming the suspensions get reduced. Although I suppose Cassioppi could redshirt.