Aaron Nagao injured?

Jimmy Cinnabon

22 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Reading on Iowa and Penn State forums that Aaron Nagao may have injured an ACL in practice and may be out for the season.  I'm super bummed if this is true.

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Who to believe ... knownothing or stickybuns?   🤔

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I hope Aaron is well, but I am sure he has convinced himself that whatever injury befell him is part of God's plan and will make him stronger.

Maybe he just needs to go to Gilman’s witch doctor in California

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:06 PM, flyingcement said:

That won't make enough of a difference unfortunately.  They'd need to combine with another top five contender team to even have a chance.  Iowa plus Michigan rosters combined still loses though to Penn State I reckon.  

I'm not saying they have a chance of winning. I'm just saying it will be more competitive. Iowa at least should get a trophy now. 

On 10/6/2023 at 6:57 PM, Pish said:

If Nagao out, Iowa is a tossup at 125 and lean Iowa at 133 and 141. Where else they gonna win?  165 if Messenbrink don’t 

Iowa wins 141 for sure. No nagao then teske winning is almost a guarantee. 165 is Iowa unless it's messinbrink then it becomes a toss up.

125, 157, 165, and if ferrari is on the team 197 are toss ups

Psu is the favorite at 149 174 184 and hwy.

Didn't say Iowa would win. Just said it would be closer/more competitive.

Iowa wins 141 for sure. No nagao then teske winning is almost a guarantee. 165 is Iowa unless it's messinbrink then it becomes a toss up.

If Messenbrink goes he wrecks whoever Iowa throws out there.

157 is not a toss up, either.

Saying that Iowa wins 141 “for sure”, after what we saw BB do this spring, is foolish.

Ferrari won’t be 197 without some serious medical intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Saying that Iowa wins 141 “for sure”, after what we saw BB do this spring, is foolish.

Take off the PSU glasses. 157 is a PSU favor but it’s 1v2 definitely a toss up, 165 is a toss up. The jump transfers make in year one at Iowa is real too. I expect Franck and Caliendo to next the next step up in the performance. 141 is an Iowa favorite but I would agree with you that it’s not necessarily a lock. Who knows about AJ but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 197 at all, without medical intervention. He stated that he would make 185 for mma if he needed to. 

• Fire 1

Take off the PSU glasses. 157 is a PSU favor but it’s 1v2 definitely a toss up, 165 is a toss up. The jump transfers make in year one at Iowa is real too. I expect Franck and Caliendo to next the next step up in the performance. 141 is an Iowa favorite but I would agree with you that it’s not necessarily a lock. Who knows about AJ but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 197 at all, without medical intervention. He stated that he would make 185 for mma if he needed to. 

Pardon me for being less than impressed with the development Iowa has done at the middle weights or their bumper crop of practice partners at the HWC.

2 hours ago, Gus said:

If PSU is favored at 157, doesn’t that mean it’s not a tossup?  But sure I guess I would at least give Franek a chance, and a smaller chance for Caliendo against Mesenbrink 

I would not give Ferrari much chance against Brooks though, and I agree I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 197.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Pardon me for being less than impressed with the development Iowa has done at the middle weights or their bumper crop of practice partners at the HWC.

The results at NCAA’s haven’t been great but don’t forget that Kem beat Hall and Starocci, Marinelli beat Joseph, it took OT for Haines to beat Seibrect last year, Meyer beat Hall. 

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If PSU is favored at 157, doesn’t that mean it’s not a tossup?  But sure I guess I would at least give Franek a chance, and a smaller chance for Caliendo against Mesenbrink 

I would not give Ferrari much chance against Brooks though, and I agree I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 197.

Mesenbrink has been great at worlds and chances are that will translate to folkstyle. Caliendo did beat Griffith last year and has pushed O’Toole as much as anyone not named David Carr. I think that’s a toss up match until we see further evidence from both guys. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Until messinbrink wrestles all american talent in folk this is not even remotely a given. 

Franek/Haines is most certainly a toss up until results prove otherwise. Especially with how difficult his weight cut apparently is for haines.

Beau bartlett almost beating a practice partner in freestyle after getting handled throughout the last season by hardy, woods, and alirez doesn't make it a tossup. I remember the same tournament bartlett lost to kolodzik who's not really that elite in free.

That's the weight AJ himself said he would wrestle. I feel like he has a better grasp of where he would land then le duke lmao

I'm sorry I upset you by saying there's a chance Iowa won't get swept 125-hwy.

24 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Brooks literally takes a random loss almost every year. Wouldn't be shocking at all if he lost to any mix of ferrari, elam, sloan, Allred, Buchanan, beard etc

2 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Until messinbrink wrestles all american talent in folk this is not even remotely a given. 

Franek/Haines is most certainly a toss up until results prove otherwise. Especially with how difficult his weight cut apparently is for haines.

Beau bartlett almost beating a practice partner in freestyle after getting handled throughout the last season by hardy, woods, and alirez doesn't make it a tossup. I remember the same tournament bartlett lost to kolodzik who's not really that elite in free.

That's the weight AJ himself said he would wrestle. I feel like he has a better grasp of where he would land then le duke lmao

I'm sorry I upset you by saying there's a chance Iowa won't get swept 125-hwy.

If you’re calling 157 and 165 tossups, then so is 141.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If you’re calling 157 and 165 tossups, then so is 141.

The difference here is Haines and messinbrink haven't produced results to show these matches would be anything other than toss ups. 

Bartlett hasn't shown anything that would indicate that the match is a toss up

20 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

The difference here is Haines and messinbrink haven't produced results to show these matches would be anything other than toss ups. 

Bartlett hasn't shown anything that would indicate that the match is a toss up

I know the list of Junior world champs was listed in a different thread, and I believe all of them were title contenders (and some champs) as freshmen.

Haines (2nd)/Franek (4th) is pretty comparable to Woods (2nd)/Bartlett (3rd) other than the fact that Haines/Franek haven’t wrestled each other yet.

Edited by 1032004

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I know the list of Junior world champs was listed in a different thread, and I believe all of them were title contenders (and some champs) as freshmen.

Haines (2nd)/Franek (4th) is pretty comparable to Woods (2nd)/Bartlett (3rd) other than the fact that Haines/Franek haven’t wrestled each other 

1st point is irrelevant until the wrestlers actually wrestle folk.

The main difference here is that woods actually beat bartlett decisively last year, and bartlett benefitted at nationals last year from hardy getting hurt in the semis, or else more than likely bartlett takes 4th.

Franek and levi had the same best win last year against Robb. Franek could have been a finalist too if he had Levi's path. Toss up until proven otherwise.

6 hours ago, hawkguy said:

I like your optimism. That being said..

If Messenbrink and Nagao wrestle, I see it 8-2 or 9-1 PSU. Could be shut out if BB takes out Woods (Cass beat Kerk first few times as well)

if no Nagao or Messenbrink it’s still 6-4 PSU (that’s giving Iowa tossup up at 125, 133,141 and 165)  

At tournament it won’t be close

Edited by Pish

1 hour ago, hawkguy said:

1st point is irrelevant until the wrestlers actually wrestle folk.

The main difference here is that woods actually beat bartlett decisively last year, and bartlett benefitted at nationals last year from hardy getting hurt in the semis, or else more than likely bartlett takes 4th.

Franek and levi had the same best win last year against Robb. Franek could have been a finalist too if he had Levi's path. Toss up until proven otherwise.

Lol at saying Bartlett benefitted from Hardy getting hurt and not acknowledging that Franek only beat Robb in SV when the dude had a life threatening infection…