Shapiro - is he really a threat to win it as Freshman?

Dark Energy

20 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

What is Shapiro's weight class this year?

Nevermind, I checked wrestlestat who has Shapiro ranked at 201 yet easily dispatching 2nd ranked Levi Haines. But, but, but ... the algorithm!

I actually think that wrestlestat outperforms all of the others.  Season's end show it nearly every time. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s a pretty short list of incredibly talented wrestlers! Interestingly, the only one of those three (excluding Meyer) to not win an NCAA title as a true freshman was Gable Steveson! I think it’s safe to assume Shapiro can compete for an NCAA title right away. 

Yep, agreed that he can compete right away. 

17 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

What is Shapiro's weight class this year?

Nevermind, I checked wrestlestat who has Shapiro ranked at 201 yet easily dispatching 2nd ranked Levi Haines. But, but, but ... the algorithm!

holy smokes you're right lol.  that is odd

21 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Because he’s better than Haines. You’ll see. 

I know their match predictor doesn’t  always go to the higher rated guy but wrestlestat is supposed to be based on an algorithm.  And they have Shapiro rated super low.

Because he’s better than Haines. You’ll see. 

He may well be.

But just like last year with Haines, his record doesn’t support that conclusion at this point. If anything, Haines had significantly more impressive results (beating multiple NQs including a guy who was ranked #16 or so, while in HS, as a 17 year old) and he didn’t get any kind of outlandish predictions from WS in his favor. WS is supposed to be based on results; beating a bunch of people with no results behind their name shouldn’t vault him up that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornell has a dual with Va Tech this season. How do folks see a potential Shapiro / Andonian match going? A crazy high scoring match, or maybe a fall on either side off a big move or scramble scenario? FWIW wrestlestat has Andonian winning 13-9. Or is Shapiro a bad style matchup like AOC was for Andonian, and likely to see a controlled Shapiro victory?

1 hour ago, 11986 said:

Cornell has a dual with Va Tech this season. How do folks see a potential Shapiro / Andonian match going? A crazy high scoring match, or maybe a fall on either side off a big move or scramble scenario? FWIW wrestlestat has Andonian winning 13-9. Or is Shapiro a bad style matchup like AOC was for Andonian, and likely to see a controlled Shapiro victory?

I got Meyer in that one.

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

Trying to predict an Andonian match is like trying to rope the wind. I will get the popcorn and be ready for this match.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 11986 said:

If you asked AOC, she would say he was just distracted because he wanted to date her.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ched64 said:

If you asked AOC, she would say he was just distracted because he wanted to date her.

Austin O'Connor wanted to date who?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me