Twitter is better

jross

24 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

can you expand on this?

not sure what you mean

It's a *very legal* financial long con regarding the payment structure of his Tesla income combined with payment of his personal Tesla taxes and also avoid PR heat ("look over here at this dumpster fire! lolz whoopsies can't believe that's such a mess! just keep focusing on twitter!"). And again, while I do not personally like Musk, he is doing what he set out to do very well and I'll give credit where it is due no matter how grimy.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

yeah, that's not an accurate picture. but whatever. 

they were haggling over a price and Musk did what any good businessman would do.

that is not to say that the deal was a good investment, but if you're going to buy something you're gonna haggle.

it should also be noted that whatever the 'value' of Twitter was and is now, it never made money.

i love twitter, but as a product idk that i'd want to own it as there's not really a proven financial model behind it. 

alternatively, FB makes money hand over fist with paid advertising and selling your data. 

No, they were not haggling over a price. Musk offered a weed joke based price (haha, wink emoji). Twitter's board took the price as quickly as they possibly could. Musk signed a binding merger agreement at that price while famously not doing any due diligence. Then when the market dropped, he tried backing out of the deal. He did not try re-negotiating the price. 

For further reading on his lack of due diligence efforts:

https://www.thebrackengroup.com/blog/life-science-due-diligence-lessons-from-elon-musk-twitter

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
add link

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

uhh, i don't think so.

The Elon hatefest occurred exactly at the time he was talking about buying Twitter b/c it was a corrupt leftist mouthpiece and they blocked and censored legit science and information.

Elon: I believe in free speech

The Left: this can't happen! twitter will become a haven for hate speech and misinformation

Two months later: The White House is guilty of pushing and pulling messaging on Twitter

don't get it twisted. The schadenfreud for Elon's Twitter had its genesis b/c the left wet their panties over a guy trying to make something less political and more open. 

The evil lefties were souring on Musk for a while, it didn't help when he acquired Twitter and then took on his own version of free speech. Obviously the evil lefties and the glorious righties have different views on what free speech is.

3 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Yeah well it’s believable that more and more people are going to be trying out Twitter to see what the fuss is all about.

Yes, it's very believable that people using Threads will suddenly discover the existence of Twitter.

he banned it? as in, you literally can't post it?
also, do you know the origins of the word? 

Latin. Was this supposed to be some sort of “gotcha”?

I first encountered this word when I was 12, reading about Gaius Julius Caesar in Gaul. Specifically Cisalpine Gaul and Transalpine Gaul. The former means “this side of” the Alps, the latter “the far side of” the Alps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See? This is what I am talking about. I am here for the entertainment value.

Musk is suing Wachtell Lipton, the law firm Twitter used to force him to close the merger because he thinks Twitter paid them too much. His suit includes the following statement:

"Wachtell was one of six large law firms that represented Twitter in connection with the merger litigation, a relatively straightforward breach of contract dispute in which Twitter sought to hold the Musk Parties to the Merger Agreement and to close the transaction. While there were important factual disputes, there were not novel or difficult questions of law involved, nor did the litigation require any special skills beyond that which Twitter could have procured by paying hourly rates to many other reputable law firms with experience litigating in the Delaware Chancery Court, including those hired to work alongside Wachtell."

Too funny that Musk's lawyers say Musk is easy to beat in court by saying that in court.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

See? This is what I am talking about. I am here for the entertainment value.

Musk is suing Wachtell Lipton, the law firm Twitter used to force him to close the merger because he thinks Twitter paid them too much. His suit includes the following statement:

"Wachtell was one of six large law firms that represented Twitter in connection with the merger litigation, a relatively straightforward breach of contract dispute in which Twitter sought to hold the Musk Parties to the Merger Agreement and to close the transaction. While there were important factual disputes, there were not novel or difficult questions of law involved, nor did the litigation require any special skills beyond that which Twitter could have procured by paying hourly rates to many other reputable law firms with experience litigating in the Delaware Chancery Court, including those hired to work alongside Wachtell."

Too funny that Musk's lawyers say Musk is easy to beat in court by saying that in court.

Musk is compelled to pay them because Twitter owed them when the Twitter purchase was executed.  $90 million. Twitter got the $44 billion they were owed, so Twitter didn't waste a nickel of Musk's 90 million bucks.

48 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Musk is compelled to pay them because Twitter owed them when the Twitter purchase was executed.  $90 million. Twitter got the $44 billion they were owed, so Twitter didn't waste a nickel of Musk's 90 million bucks.

Twitter paid them 10 minutes before the close of the merger. If it was 10 minutes after, Twitter (now Musk) would never have paid them. That is why the payment happens immediately before closing and not after. And that isn't just a Musk thing. It is that way anytime a company has to sue the buyer to force them to follow through on their commitment.

He would not necessarily be compelled to pay them the whole 90, as 90 is a whole lot. My uncle was a Wall Street lawyer, he used to say a lawyer's bill is just an invitation to negotiate. It would have become a negotiation or a lawsuit at that point. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

people at work, vs people partying

It has the hallmarks of something that has been programmed. People partying aren't using Google to search for the term Twitter. They already have Twitter on their phone. Perhaps this is something in the Twitter marketing budget.

The top 4 cities for searching Twitter are in the DC Metro and many of the other top cities are field office locations, so it’s probably a product of FBI searches. More plausible than a bot unleashed by Elon to google the word Twitter at 2am.

39 minutes ago, DJT said:

The top 4 cities for searching Twitter are in the DC Metro and many of the other top cities are field office locations, so it’s probably a product of FBI searches. More plausible than a bot unleashed by Elon to google the word Twitter at 2am.

Wow, when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Why would anyone google the word Twitter?

Besides, it is too regular to attribute to human activity. Humans are more random.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Wow, when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Why would anyone google the word Twitter?

Besides, it is too regular to attribute to human activity. Humans are more random.

Yes, that is the FBI and CIA running their bots, unless you think Elon decided to make his bot register as coming from all of those FBI cities…