What is Penn State’s secret sauce?

scorenomore

I’m sure this has been dissected before but please refresh our memories.  How can PSU get all of these top notch recruits?  

My guess is that the school has to have a way to provide “merit” financial aid based on some criteria.  Can anyone confirm this and what is the criteria?

- Good wrestler + good grades = 50% merit?

- Good wrestler + poor parents = 50% merit?

- Good wrestler + good test scores = 50% merit?

Something has to be going on because they get a lot of quality kids and I just can’t imagine they are paying a lot and out of state tuition.  

I realize that the Gibson’s are in state but I assume scholarship money went to Braden Davis so where does the funding come from to add Mason?

Side note, will Davis or Gibson be big enough to go 133 or is this now the same problem Ohio State has with Mendez and Bouzakis?

14 minutes ago, scorenomore said:

I’m sure this has been dissected before but please refresh our memories.  How can PSU get all of these top notch recruits?  

My guess is that the school has to have a way to provide “merit” financial aid based on some criteria.  Can anyone confirm this and what is the criteria?

- Good wrestler + good grades = 50% merit?

- Good wrestler + poor parents = 50% merit?

- Good wrestler + good test scores = 50% merit?

Something has to be going on because they get a lot of quality kids and I just can’t imagine they are paying a lot and out of state tuition.  

I realize that the Gibson’s are in state but I assume scholarship money went to Braden Davis so where does the funding come from to add Mason?

Side note, will Davis or Gibson be big enough to go 133 or is this now the same problem Ohio State has with Mendez and Bouzakis?

Alternative theory: the best want to be with the best. Best coaches, best training partners, best RTC. It becomes a virtuous cycle.

• Fire 5

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Alternative theory: the best want to be with the best. Best coaches, best training partners, best RTC. It becomes a virtuous cycle.

Who would’ve thought that RBY and Gilman would make each other better? Or that DT and Jaime Espinal would make Nickal and Brooks and Dean better? Or Bekzod would make Nolf and Cenzo and Starocci better? Or that Varner and Snyder would make Kerkvliet better?

There were 7 Olympic medalists in that room last year. Seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 3

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Of course the best want to be together - that’s a no brainer and we’ll documented on the benefits of being at PSU. That doesn’t mean it is affordable which is my question. A great wrestler whose parents are middle class and out of state could not afford to attend PSU just because it is a good room. There has to be something helping the numbers work. 

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

What makes you think Gibson(s) are on scholarship at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean any athletic scholarship, or any scholarship at all?

Erik was on record as saying he was getting a “full ride” to Cornell, so I’m sure they’re getting something at PSU either academically or need-based.  Depending on how much that is, I would think Mason at least would get something athletic, doubt Erik though.

3 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Has the NCAA lost interest in regulating the separation of college athletes from professional athletes?

In a recent Cael interview he said Kerk tries to wrestle with veteran Snyder as often as possible. And they did spend some time living together in Cael’s basement.

As long as it’s freestyle, seems to be allowed

5 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Has the NCAA lost interest in regulating the separation of college athletes from professional athletes?

In a recent Cael interview he said Kerk tries to wrestle with veteran Snyder as often as possible. And they did spend some time living together in Cael’s basement.

Yes

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

The NCAA has only had an interest in the separation of college athletes from professional to the extent that it allows them to monetize the college athlete. Central to the monetization is exemption from anti-trust laws. As they have been threatened with the lose of anti-trust protection and have lost multiple related cases up to the Supreme Court level, their ability to separate and monetize has waned.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge