Iowa could have 7 transfer starters next year

40 minutes ago, Corby said:

Him having enough credits come January won't be an issue.  Maybe he's doing online classes somewhere 🤷

Why do you believe this?

Is the administration/athletic department simply going to hand wave this requirement and make it go away? Also, your second sentence seems to fly in the face of the first sentence; I'd hope you'd know that he's doing online classes and has completed X number of credit hours before making the first statement.

Edited by Le duke
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Joey Cruz, Oklahoma 

133: Brody Teske, Northern Iowa and Penn Staye

141: Real Woods, Stanford

149: Victor Voinovich, Oklahoma State

157: Jared Franek, North Dakota State

165: Mikey Caliendo, North Dakota State

174: Foca

184: Munoz

197: Hidlay

285: Gable Steveson, Minnesota 

If Ayala gets injured, Siebrecht loses to Voinovich, and they manage to sign Gable Steveson, looks like a max of seven.  Upper weights they don't have many transfers (yet)

Don't ya think a cool $5M to $10M could buy some guys like Foca, Munoz and Hidlay?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Why do you believe this?

Is the administration/athletic department simply going to hand wave this requirement and make it go away? Also, your second sentence seems to fly in the face of the first sentence; I'd hope you'd know that he's doing online classes and has completed X number of credit hours before making the first statement.

Do you know how many credits he needs?  If the administration is gonna hand wave something I would hope you know . Do you know if he's been taking classes? 

Edited by Corby

38 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

Steveson to Iowa? is this complete fantasy or is there actually some rumblings about this? I haven't heard anything at all, I have enough trouble believing he'll return to MN

Willie Saylor has mentioned he has heard this from several sources.  It definitely has legs.

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

The Black and Gold is more of an investment company now. Call it speculative frenzy.

Careful ... mentioning BnG has got some good threads shut down. 😉

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just buy and transfer Carl in?

Edited by ionel

What happened to BnG?  Did he decide to take his own advice and get help?  Maybe he got a 2 for 1 deal with Askren?

While he was a little out there, I enjoyed his wackiness!  I like when people LOVE their team so much they become irrational.

15 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Joey Cruz, Oklahoma 

133: Brody Teske, Northern Iowa and Penn Staye

141: Real Woods, Stanford

149: Victor Voinovich, Oklahoma State

157: Jared Franek, North Dakota State

165: Mikey Caliendo, North Dakota State

174: 

285: Gable Steveson, Minnesota 

If Ayala gets injured, Siebrecht loses to Voinovich, and they manage to sign Gable Steveson, looks like a max of seven.  Upper weights they don't have many transfers (yet)

Brennan Swafford (174) is a transfer and has started in duals for the Hawkeyes before.  

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

Is the administration/athletic department simply going to hand wave this requirement and make it go away? 

i don't think that's something you can wave. it's an NCAA rule; not the school's. 

AJ could have enough progress towards his degree if he's been taking classes.

i would imagine that if AJ truly wants to wrestle in college again, that the Iowa staff got him with a academic advisor and/or compliance officer to know what he needs to get done.

so it's possible, but i'll believe it when i see it. 

TBD

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i don't think that's something you can wave. it's an NCAA rule; not the school's. 

AJ could have enough progress towards his degree if he's been taking classes.

i would imagine that if AJ truly wants to wrestle in college again, that the Iowa staff got him with a academic advisor and/or compliance officer to know what he needs to get done.

so it's possible, but i'll believe it when i see it. 

Speaking of which, how is Pat Downey's PhD coming along?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I went back and read the report on the alleged sexual assault.... yikes. I would say his eligibility is the least of his problems. Lost in all these arguments about his eligibility and credits, is the fact that it's a very realistic possibility he ends up in prison.  Aside from that, I am guessing he will face a civil suit. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

56 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I went back and read the report on the alleged sexual assault.... yikes. I would say his eligibility is the least of his problems. Lost in all these arguments about his eligibility and credits, is the fact that it's a very realistic possibility he ends up in prison.  Aside from that, I am guessing he will face a civil suit. 

Presumably Iowa and the Brands have already performed their own due diligence on this and have been satisfied it won't be an issue.  Otherwise they wouldn't have gone so all-in on brothers Angelo and Anthony...

39 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Presumably Iowa and the Brands have already performed their own due diligence on this and have been satisfied it won't be an issue.  Otherwise they wouldn't have gone so all-in on brothers Angelo and Anthony...

one does not imply the other

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Important to remember that police reports are purposely written from one perspective to justify probable cause to arrest.  The problem beyond the allegations for AJ in that one case is that it's not his only effing problem.

People (not you necessarily) often conflate "presumption of innocence" criminally with the idea we should or do presume people innocent socially or in other facets.  The standard of presumption of innocence exists in criminal cases because the government is trying to take away a person's freedom.  Shit, we presume people guilty all the time.  Countless examples:  OJ Simpson, Casey Anthony, R. Kelly before his convictions, Michael Jackson.  Right now in this country, the vast majority of Democrats are presuming Donald Trump is guilty of crimes (despite only being charged) and the vast majority of Republicans are assuming that Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are guilty of crimes (despite neither having ever even been arrested)

I do not know if AJ Ferrari will be found guilty of the crime he's charged with...I do know that regardless of that outcome, I do not want him to wrestle for my favorite team.  I'm just one person with an opinion though.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

one does not imply the other

You do realize who you're talking to here?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Important to remember that police reports are purposely written from one perspective to justify probable cause to arrest.  The problem beyond the allegations for AJ in that one case is that it's not his only effing problem.

People (not you necessarily) often conflate "presumption of innocence" criminally with the idea we should or do presume people innocent socially or in other facets.  The standard of presumption of innocence exists in criminal cases because the government is trying to take away a person's freedom.  Shit, we presume people guilty all the time.  Countless examples:  OJ Simpson, Casey Anthony, R. Kelly before his convictions, Michael Jackson.  Right now in this country, the vast majority of Democrats are presuming Donald Trump is guilty of crimes (despite only being charged) and the vast majority of Republicans are assuming that Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are guilty of crimes (despite neither having ever even been arrested)

I do not know if AJ Ferrari will be found guilty of the crime he's charged with...I do know that regardless of that outcome, I do not want him to wrestle for my favorite team.  I'm just one person with an opinion though.

You are in the minority of Hawkeye fans.  Most want anyone who will help Iowa bring home another title over Penn State.

Honestly - academic eligibility should be the last of AJ's concern. The fact his family requested a trial shows the victim is all in on testifying against him and the prosecutor is not offering him any kind of favorable plea. Oklahoma Sex Crime laws are serious. I imagine the prosecutor isn't offering any kind of bargain that would keep him out of jail and not register as a sex offender (in which there is literally under a 0% chance Iowa would admit him) Obviously not the best source but if you want to believe Travis Mastro's snap, the victim immediately went to the hospital and got a DNA evidence and gave a statement to the police. AJ sister name dropping her and basically shaming her doesn't help their cause either (and probably motivates the victim to go forward with it all)

If it does go to trial (big if here) I would be SHOCKED if it actually happens next fall, jury selection for someone of AJ's profile in that jurisdiction can take a while in itself. That date is probably just the earliest everyone was available. You need to find 12 people who show they know nothing about Oklahoma State sports and have absolutely 0 biases against athletes in any way (some people admittedly might think an athlete is immediately guilty because they have biases) There's a reason why Shawn Oakman's trial took years to actually start, and he was found not guilty in 45 minutes. (after his NFL career was long ruined)

1 hour ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

You need to find 12 people who show they know nothing about Oklahoma State sports and have absolutely 0 biases against athletes in any way 

I dont think it would be that hard to find 12 people in Payne County that have pretty much zero interest of knowledge of the wrestling program.  Even those who do have an interest in the university or sports can still be unbiased when considering such a case.