Wow

lu_alum

3 hours ago, Formally140 said:

There’s a lot more of less well known cases of this happening I’ve been seeing more and more of lately. Parents and kids think anytime they or theirs lost they got “cheated”

You mean for wrestling specifically, or across all sports? Or youth sports at the highest level? Not giving the guy a pass by any means, but it's crazy how much pressure is put on kids these days.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

I'm torn between wanting to throw the book at the kid and giving him a chance for redemption.  If my own son got assaulted like that, I would be livid.  If my own son threw that punch, I would be livid, but would want a chance for him to own the consequences and work through an improvement process that would lead to changed behavior, ultimately leading to an earned second chance.  

Same - lean providing a path of redemption.  

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Owning the consequences should be a USAW lifetime ban. Own that. 

I believe in second chances.  Shoot, I have had plenty of second chances.  I don’t want to throw anybody away if I can help it.  I think the two young men should be brought together.  Sit down and discuss what happened (with parental supervision for both) and why it happened to avoid any further instances similar that might occur in the future.  For both of them as well as everyone else.  Good example to use on the wrong way to conduct yourself.  Most people learn best through their failures.  This young man deserves to prove he is capable of such a lesson and become a better human being in the process.  If he cannot then unfortunately society will have to determine his outcome.  Let’s hope he chooses correctly.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Minnow has actually gotten quite a bit of heat over posting this.  People asking why he is sharing an underage kid's name so publicly.

Honestly, at that age in today's world?  You sneak someone like that after getting handled and you deserve whatever backlash you get.

Some folks on minnows fb page are condoning this and saying the other kid should toughen up.  

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

You mean for wrestling specifically, or across all sports? Or youth sports at the highest level? Not giving the guy a pass by any means, but it's crazy how much pressure is put on kids these days.

Across the board and in wrestling. It’s just usually isn’t going viral.
That leaves out older stories I’ve been told about what happened before phones. Especially to schools like OPRF and city schools when they went certain places. 

20 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Also crazy how much stuff is on video and easily accessible online these days!

8 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

I believe in second chances.  Shoot, I have had plenty of second chances.  I don’t want to throw anybody away if I can help it.  I think the two young men should be brought together.  Sit down and discuss what happened (with parental supervision for both) and why it happened to avoid any further instances similar that might occur in the future.  For both of them as well as everyone else.  Good example to use on the wrong way to conduct yourself.  Most people learn best through their failures.  This young man deserves to prove he is capable of such a lesson and become a better human being in the process.  If he cannot then unfortunately society will have to determine his outcome.  Let’s hope he chooses correctly.

I understand your desire, but I think our society has an irrational love affair with redemption. I guarantee this isn’t that kids first violent outburst, and no matter what anyone does for him, it won’t be his last. Impulsive, violent behavior due to negative emotions is this kid’s learned/reinforced impulse. Good luck changing that. 

23 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I understand your desire, but I think our society has an irrational love affair with redemption. I guarantee this isn’t that kids first violent outburst, and no matter what anyone does for him, it won’t be his last. Impulsive, violent behavior due to negative emotions is this kid’s learned/reinforced impulse. Good luck changing that. 

It’s not me or anyone else that is going to change him, it’s going to have to be himself that comes to that realization that change is necessary.  Hopefully whatever consequence happens because of his actions will help him learn, instead of push him further away from being a productive citizen in society.  The choice is his, and by what I have seen and been informed of prior instances, a little luck for him probably wouldn’t hurt.

I know many kids like this... many of them in counseling already...

they dont see anything as an opportunity to grow...

it will just be another punishment

they dont see themselves or their actions as the problem.. its those damn administrators who noticed my bad actions 

• Fire 1

WoW - thought this would be about Word of Wisdom. Cael's religion has it and teaches to abstain from eating meat except in times of Cold and Famine. Also, no coffee or tea. Maybe that is why hey keep winning?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

56 minutes ago, RYou said:

Charged with assault.  Will likely be offered some form of pre-trial intervention likely involving anger management.

Has court ordered counseling of any kind ever in the history of ever been shown to be successful? Kind of like letting family court judges distribute assets, income, and supposedly tax liability. The IRS doesn’t care a whit about some local yokel judges’ declaration of who should get to “claim” children for tax purposes. 

The justice system is too overwhelmed to bother with anything other than slaps on the wrist for all but the most serious of crimes. This kid needs intensive, inpatient, residential/wilderness therapy as soon as possible. It’s probably already too late. 

4 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Has court ordered counseling of any kind ever in the history of ever been shown to be successful? Kind of like letting family court judges distribute assets, income, and supposedly tax liability. The IRS doesn’t care a whit about some local yokel judges’ declaration of who should get to “claim” children for tax purposes. 

The justice system is too overwhelmed to bother with anything other than slaps on the wrist for all but the most serious of crimes. This kid needs intensive, inpatient, residential/wilderness therapy as soon as possible. It’s probably already too late. 

It's way too late and the environment he comes from is far too toxic.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, Tigerfan said:

Lock him up in big boy jail. Human waste. Lifetime ban. This display of anti-social behavior is almost never cured, or rehabilitated. Of course he’s mentally “unstable”, problem is, our society absolutely sucks at stabilizing people this far down the road of delinquency. 

You’re an idiot. Locking someone like this in prison is the one way to guarantee this person goes down the worst possible route and never really contributes to society. Lots of kids punch other kids. Most of them end up contributing positively to society and never assault or batter anyone as adults. He shouldnt ever wrestle again, but this was a sucker punch not attempted murder.

You all should be embarrassed. You know how many teenage boys punch other teenage boys? Yeah, he shouldn’t wrestle again anytime soon, but to act like he’s just some lost cause and it’s “too late” to help him because he punched another kid? He didn’t use a weapon, didn’t try to continue it, and you all don’t know his history. 100% guarantee some of you hypocrites threw some punches when you were teenagers. I know I did. Did you grow out of it? I did.

• Fire 5

31 minutes ago, skandar said:

You all should be embarrassed. You know how many teenage boys punch other teenage boys? Yeah, he shouldn’t wrestle again anytime soon, but to act like he’s just some lost cause and it’s “too late” to help him because he punched another kid? He didn’t use a weapon, didn’t try to continue it, and you all don’t know his history. 100% guarantee some of you hypocrites threw some punches when you were teenagers. I know I did. Did you grow out of it? I did.

I agree with you here 

On 4/20/2023 at 8:53 AM, Formally140 said:

They “feel” cheated

Yep. Accepting defeat is hard for kids - feeling "cheated" can be a preferred alternative, especially when your parents are there to back you up on it.

Let's be honest, we have a high-profile ex-president who has been in "cheated" mode for years now. It has become a much more accepted position lately. (And it's not limited to one party - plenty of liberals feel they have been cheated as well. This isn't political commentary.)

Feels like "cancel culture" is being joined by "cheated culture"... Frankly, I could do without either. I prefer the "personal responsibility" route, but that's just me.

All that aside, any wrestler who takes a cheap shot like that needs to feel some serious repercussions. No excuses. Swift kick in the rear is in order here.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, skandar said:

Why do you think I should be embarrassed?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.