Penn State called out by JB

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DADriO4Rwzc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

JB making a point to directly call out Penn State “fans, coaches, and wrestlers” after winning trials at 79kg.  Warranted or no?  Obviously the fan stuff was not cool, but does anyone know why he would have called out the Penn State coaches as well?  Sounds like he didn’t appreciate all the hate getting thrown around…

I am so over Penn State. I agree with Burroughs. I don't dislike any of the coaches there. It is the wrestlers and fans that feel so dang superior when interacting with them! Time to break up the dynasty. 🙂 My son is not a blue chip recruit but if he was PSU would be the last school I would go to with Iowa next to last. We need to parody. The 2nd best team is light years behind them. They basically have the entire world team at every weight. And potential NCAA champs as backups at several weights. Is this kind of dominance good for the sport? I know Taylor went to OK State but that will take a few years to challenge PSU.   

1 hour ago, Hilton Head Joe said:

I am so over Penn State. I agree with Burroughs. I don't dislike any of the coaches there. It is the wrestlers and fans that feel so dang superior when interacting with them! Time to break up the dynasty. 🙂 My son is not a blue chip recruit but if he was PSU would be the last school I would go to with Iowa next to last. We need to parody. The 2nd best team is light years behind them. They basically have the entire world team at every weight. And potential NCAA champs as backups at several weights. Is this kind of dominance good for the sport? I know Taylor went to OK State but that will take a few years to challenge PSU.   

Did you mean parity?  Or, was this whole post a parody?

• Bob 1
  • Haha 5

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Or.   Hear me out here.  Fans in the great state of PA are potentially the worst : nastiest fans in all of the us of a…. Phillies eagles flyers anyone?

https://haverfordclerk.com/proudly-the-worst-fans-in-america/

83% chance this has something to do with booing the goat and having random other teammates call jb out too….. Cstar and bo if I remember correctly.  

Edited by Caveira
  • Bob 1

Dynasties tend to attract very casual fan bases I'm afraid. Living in central PA and having been at the trials I can attest that at least the people around me were not very informed compared to a normal wrestling fan. And there are a lot of people that cult follow psu sports that do not care about wrestling just that psu is good at it. I think that part of the fanbase sucks and unfortunately represents a large part of it.

• Bob 4
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Dynasties tend to attract very casual fan bases I'm afraid. Living in central PA and having been at the trials I can attest that at least the people around me were not very informed compared to a normal wrestling fan. And there are a lot of people that cult follow psu sports that do not care about wrestling just that psu is good at it. I think that part of the fanbase sucks and unfortunately represents a large part of it.

Joe Paterno fans. 

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

thats a good point, there is definitely an overlap between people who are professional casual fans and...being stupid for lack of a better word. Very few people who care about a sport in itself, without any tribal perversion, are going to run around smearing people generating mean spirited hot takes.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Have there been many other examples of Penn St. fans being rude and booing?  In their defense it wasn't like they were  just booing Burroughs because he was beating their guy, but it was a chippy match (yes I know Mess initiated some of it) and they had a reason (not that I agree with it).  But if this is common thing then maybe it is warranted to call their fan base out.  But it sounds like sour grapes by some on here because they beat the crap out of their team every year.  I always thought they were a professional program under Cael.  Way more so than Iowa...even though I do enjoy watching Iowa and Penn St.

As for all that other crap about Penn St. being good for wrestling...of course they are good for wrestling, just as Iowa is, Iowa St. is, Oklahoma St. is, etc.  Can't fault them for figuring out the $$ and the NIL thing before others have.

• Bob 2

6 hours ago, Hilton Head Joe said:

Fans always get progressively worse the more you win.  I root for a professional team that has won a couple of titles after a long period of being bad.  The fan base is insufferable and absolutely believes they are entitled to winning everything.  It is human nature.  Win enough and your fans get awful (or at least a large chunk of them).

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Fans always get progressively worse the more you win.  I root for a professional team that has won a couple of titles after a long period of being bad.  The fan base is insufferable and absolutely believes they are entitled to winning everything.  It is human nature.  Win enough and your fans get awful (or at least a large chunk of them).

Yes great analogy in reference to NFL teams like Kansas City and New England. Their fan bases are/were not well liked either.

Edited by Hilton Head Joe

Burroughs has always felt like a guy who was blessed with great talent, a highly competitive mind, but with too much hubris. I disliked his gold shoes way back. I am a PSU fan and I watched live what happened in Rec Hall and I was very disappointed in the PSU fans. But Burroughs must take some responsibility for his chippiness with Mesenbrink in front of a home crowd. In truth, I was surprised Burroughs didn't just shrug it off like some wrestlers would.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

3 hours ago, Hilton Head Joe said:

Yes great analogy in reference to NFL teams like Kansas City and New England. Their fan bases are/were not well liked either.

Nobody likes teams and the fans of the teams that win as much as New England did, or Kansas City currently and especially the PSU wrestling program over the last decade. Well, except for the fans of those teams. Everybody else gets sick and tired of seeing them win. When Gable was at Iowa everyone felt the same about Iowa, I'm sure.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

Burroughs has always felt like a guy who was blessed with great talent, a highly competitive mind, but with too much hubris. I disliked his gold shoes way back. I am a PSU fan and I watched live what happened in Rec Hall and I was very disappointed in the PSU fans. But Burroughs must take some responsibility for his chippiness with Mesenbrink in front of a home crowd. In truth, I was surprised Burroughs didn't just shrug it off like some wrestlers would.

You sure you're a PSU fan?

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

16 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

If JB has too much Hubris, PSU fans must be really struggling to root for Starocci... 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:02 PM, KennyEBHS said:

Rec Hall?  I'm certain in was in their other facility. 

But yeah,   

Always with the JB fanboying , ridiculous this dude is 35 yr old multiple time world and Olympic champ and who literally can’t help himself from being petty on instragram bc of a match with a 19 yr old 6 months ago where he did some dirty stuff and got booed by the drunk home team fans .. like grow up , and everyone always defending everything he does. He refers to himself as the “goat” for christs sake , gets petty with a fan base he’s messed with for years bc he believes everyone should respect him with no critique bc he won an Olympic gold 12 years ago ..this is a man who needed to tweet in 2016 that any fan who rooted against him at trials should be ashamed of themselves..for how great of an athlete he is he’s really thinned skinned and petty 

• Bob 1