Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Cause it's what u do in NCAA folk.

Does anyone in the media have the balls to ask cal in an interview about this and how reminiscent it is of Gilman. And how many times they practiced it ?

Cal just dropped off the pantheon for me. Major recruiting tool for other rtcs to use is this and Snyder's lack of improvement since going to PSU. 

I don't think anyone has the balls. Certainly not at flo. 

Get some media credentials and stop being so whiny. Man up.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Cause it's what u do in NCAA folk.

Does anyone in the media have the balls to ask cal in an interview about this and how reminiscent it is of Gilman. And how many times they practiced it ?

Cal just dropped off the pantheon for me. Major recruiting tool for other rtcs to use is this and Snyder's lack of improvement since going to PSU. 

I don't think anyone has the balls. Certainly not at flo. 

Snyder lack of improvement? He’s gotten worse. 

• Brain 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

yessir (brooks had the harder side of the bracket though) lol

Recent results:  Yazdani > Kurugliev > Amine > Nurmagomedov > Razamanov > Brooks.

In no universe has DT ever been broken at Worlds/Olympics.

A 79 KG guy broke Brooks today and it was unfortunate.

I think he comes back next year, though, and destroys EVERYBODY.

Edit:  I think a lot of it is/was that this was his first time there.  He will be fine.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

44 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

I’m not a PSU fan and I know you’re trolling but this is funny.

”Don’t go to Penn State, you might only get silver or bronze at the Olympics!”

• Haha 4

back in the old days.. the coaches kind of picked who they wanted to go.

if a newbie (or someone they didn't trust) won, they took them back to camp and made them win several in a row.. so they could get their choice in.

read wrestlers at the trials... 

the russians did this for years... putting THE MAN in, whether he won or not 

im not saying taylor would have won... who knows what would have happened...

just that

brooks will be fine... he just needs experience

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I just can not believe Brooks took that shot. Just handfight!  Make him prove he can take you down from his own shot in short time! Gah!  And I wore a Team Brooks shirt today!

Why? What is wrong with you? Any other day, sure fine whatever. But today and tomorrow Hawkeye fans above all others should have been standing together. This isn't even about Brooks being a knucklehead so don't cheer for him  this is 100% about you get to cheer for your laundry and you need to show up when it matters most. You best believe I was rocking my alma mater during rugby sevens and track days

i am an idiot on the internet

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Why? What is wrong with you? Any other day, sure fine whatever. But today and tomorrow Hawkeye fans above all others should have been standing together. This isn't even about Brooks being a knucklehead so don't cheer for him  this is 100% about you get to cheer for your laundry and you need to show up when it matters most. You best believe I was rocking my alma mater during rugby sevens and track days

My wife hired a guy who is personal friends with Brooks, and after he.found out I was into wrestling, he got me the shirt.  I love the Spencer shirt on HWC though. 

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Eh...not really. He just had Sadulev come into his weight class. He lost to him before the NLWC, he lost to him after...

And then he lost to Taz and I remain convinced he can turn that one around, but we'll see. 

But it's pretty damn hard to say he's regressed when he's lost to like two guys and one of them, you could argue, is the best ever in Freestyle. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I’m not a PSU fan and I know you’re trolling but this is funny.

”Don’t go to Penn State, you might only get silver or bronze at the Olympics!”

...if you beat the guy who won the Gold at your weight the last time 'round...also from Penn State!

14 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Eh...not really. He just had Sadulev come into his weight class. He lost to him before the NLWC, he lost to him after...

And then he lost to Taz and I remain convinced he can turn that one around, but we'll see. 

But it's pretty damn hard to say he's regressed when he's lost to like two guys and one of them, you could argue, is the best ever in Freestyle. 

well, he beat him, then lost to him, despite being younger. 
also: Mohammadian, Sharifov. Others have closed the gap. Azarpira beat him 6-3 in January ?
listen: I love Kyle Snyder, but I’ve seen no improvement. He still has no reliable turns and his offense is pretty predictable and not extremely dynamic. 

I predict a bronze for him, but hope for gold. Bronze for him is a regression, and he might not get a medal if saduleev wrestled.  Just the truth  

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

back in the old days.. the coaches kind of picked who they wanted to go.

if a newbie (or someone they didn't trust) won, they took them back to camp and made them win several in a row.. so they could get their choice in.

read wrestlers at the trials... 

the russians did this for years... putting THE MAN in, whether he won or not 

im not saying taylor would have won... who knows what would have happened...

just that

brooks will be fine... he just needs experience

Read "someone they did not like" and look at Bobby Douglas - the only man who beat Dan Gable five times.

Bobby won the spot but racist coaching forced many matches to try and put Gable in his spot.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

9 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

well, he beat him, then lost to him, despite being younger. 
also: Mohammadian, Sharifov. Others have closed the gap. Azarpira beat him 6-3 in January ?
listen: I love Kyle Snyder, but I’ve seen no improvement. He still has no reliable turns and his offense is pretty predictable and not extremely dynamic. 

I predict a bronze for him, but hope for gold. Bronze for him is a regression, and he might not get a medal if saduleev wrestled.  Just the truth  

Yeah...he beat him and then lost to him before moving to the NLWC. And while Sadulaev was moving up a weight class. 

He also lost to guys before.

He's lost to Sad a couple of times to lose an Olympic or WC...you're really getting...I'd say a little ridiculous with the regression or improvement IMO. He's spent 8 years now competing for WC and OCs. Even the GOAT's lost. 

If he wins a Gold here does that change anything? It's kinda hard when you win a WC and an OC before 21 to keep that up. 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It's absolutely true. Also. We all know Tom Ryan and dlagnov would of won many worlds with David Taylor. Same with any coach. 

Russian going 'this cael guy the best the US coach ? Dumb USA expose at end of match again. Hahahaha. Have another beer my Dagestan brother"

6 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Read "someone they did not like" and look at Bobby Douglas - the only man who beat Dan Gable five times.

Bobby won the spot but racist coaching forced many matches to try and put Gable in his spot.

I've seen various versions of this with...5, 6 or 7 Douglas wins in 1970. 

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah...he beat him and then lost to him before moving to the NLWC. And while Sadulaev was moving up a weight class. 

He also lost to guys before.

He's lost to Sad a couple of times to lose an Olympic or WC...you're really getting...I'd say a little ridiculous with the regression or improvement IMO. He's spent 8 years now competing for WC and OCs. Even the GOAT's lost. 

If he wins a Gold here does that change anything? It's kinda hard when you win a WC and an OC before 21 to keep that up. 

If he wins a gold it changes my feelings, yes. 

But prime Snyder seemed to be in college. What major improvements has he made? How’s his par terre offense? Has he diversified his takedowns?

5 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I've seen various versions of this with...5, 6 or 7 Douglas wins in 1970. 

I believe it was seven matches.  Bobby won six.  One match was a draw.  Never heard of the racial component to the story but that era was way before my time

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

If he wins a gold it changes my feelings, yes. 

But prime Snyder seemed to be in college. What major improvements has he made? How’s his par terre offense? Has he diversified his takedowns?

Yeah...no, I get what you're saying. I'm simply saying you're taking a time frame when he didn't have Sadulaev or when he'd just moved up and when he won a WC and an OC.

I don't know that HIS level of Wrestling has changed so much as...again, arguably the best Wrestler ever moved up and has just owned the weight class...until the last WC. 

Edited by scourge165
  • Bob 1

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I heard Mack Gable was sickened by what he was seeing and eventually told those in charge to send Bobby. 

That's what I'm trying to figure out. This was in '70...and Douglas Wrestled in '70. So he didn't get screwed out of a spot, right?

(Not that it's not still noteworthy...assuming it was racist).

Edited by scourge165