WFS 50kg: Vinesh Phogat (India) missed weight

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

6.6 pounds is likely only a very small amount of food and almost all water weight

Certainly this is the case, but she also wouldn't be the first wrestler to misrepresent how much they ate after getting off a scale.  

• Bob 1

18 minutes ago, crossface21 said:

From what I read, she's normally 57kg. 

Woah... plus w/ her height, a 15.4lbs(7Kg) cut is quite substantial!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

if they truly had her blood drawn - and the governing body of India Wrestling was aware or involved - they should be banned from international competition for at least the next 12 months or through Worlds, whichever is later.

• Bob 1

18 minutes ago, OMW said:

if they truly had her blood drawn - and the governing body of India Wrestling was aware or involved - they should be banned from international competition for at least the next 12 months or through Worlds, whichever is later.

HIghly doubt that extremely sensationalized blurb had any truth whatsoever behind it. Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "Don't trust everything you read on the internet."

• Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

UWW has made a statement after meeting with IND:

https://uww.org/article/uww-statement-lalovic-meets-ioa-president-wfi-paris

I actually think the UWW's statement is pretty thoughtful, and awarding medals to a wrestler who misses weight on the 2nd day would incentivize more risk taking. 

It's not UWW's fault the IOC is limiting UWW weight classes. While grateful that Vinesh knocked out Susaki Vinseh should've wrestled 57 KG.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

No idea what the IOC does with undistributed medals, but it would be kinda wild if months from now some kid in Angola or something is walking around in a San Francisco 49ers 2024 Super Bowl Champions t-shirt and a 50kg Olympic silver

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dogbone said:

I do feel bad for her as I think she should be given the Silver since she beat everyone she faced on the mat.

But, according to India, she made 50KG yesterday, only ate a little and weighed 53KG after competing and couldn't get back to 50 KG 12 hours later, despite cutting her hair, drawing blood, not eating and doing sauna/working outs the entire night.   She also competed so well sucked down that she beat Susaki fresh off the scale.      I don't buy all of that.

I'm guessing she re-hydrated to feel as close to 100% in order to take on Susaki (understandably) and then was well over weight and she couldn't get back down in time. 

Imagine how big she would of been during the gold medal match if she didn't have to ever make 50KG again.  

There's a no-needles policy in place, so if that happened, they're all getting the boot. 

Also, I refuse to believe that an athlete that was anywhere near 50kg (aka, 53-54kg) couldn't make 50kg safely.

I'm also wondering if they resorted to some less-than-legal means (see: needles and IV saline bags) to get her rehydrated again after the Day 1 weigh-in. 

Edited by Le duke
  • Bob 1

8 hours ago, OMW said:

Isn’t the Indian wrestling governing body on probation or similar from UWW at the moment? I remember something of this over the past year.

Isn’t the Indian wrestling governing body on probation or similar from UWW at the moment? I remember something of this over the past year.

Yes. They were suspended for a while, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, OMW said:

It is not illegal, unless they inject the drawn blood back in her body. In that case it would be an anti-doping violation.

I personally feel like in this case they should wrestle the repechage on that side and have the winner get the gold medal match and loser bronze (giving everyone who lost to her a chance). With that said, I am not upset that Hildebrandt made the best of it. Vinesh was noticeably big. You need to make the weight. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Jordan Burroughs proposed rule changes based on Vinesh's situation: 

Thoughts?

Nobody else had a problem making weight the second day. Why should the rules changed based on one person to advantage those who cut more weight? 

• Bob 1

One point to consider here is that this story definitely went viral. Jordan's tweet got 2.5M views – and other similar stories about this got a ridiculously disproportionate amount of coverage compared with the normal exposure that wrestling gets at the olympics – especially for WFS.

That's arguably a bad look for our sport, but it also brought much-needed exposure to wrestling for an olympics filled w/ bright & shiny new sports – where wrestling is oftentimes an afterthought for news outlets.

I'd much rather that increased exposure go to Amit Elor or Sarah Hildebrandt's gold medal performances, but ads-based social media thrives on controversy.

17 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

HIghly doubt that extremely sensationalized blurb had any truth whatsoever behind it. Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "Don't trust everything you read on the internet."

You don’t know Indians.