Taylor's Assistants at OKST

5 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I don't believe this to be true, yet admittedly am guessing.  I think it's more likely is that John said he'd vouch for him and being there a year would give him a big leg up.  It's hard to believe the AD promised him a head coaching job a year from now and it wasn't Smith's to promise. 

I'm not even sure legally the AD could promise Scott a future HC job with all the red tape involved in public university hiring...

I too feel for Scott, but it seems more likely he took a calculated gamble and lost. 

Word on the Oklahoma state forum and around the wrestling world is that he was verbally promised bc they couldn’t legally promise him and he was all set to take over but DT called ok state when smith retired and that changed the entire plan

That doesn't make sense though, if an AD can't make legally a promise why would they?  They would be risking their own job doing so.   And if Smith made the promise, well that isn't his call as we see now. 

Just now, Le duke said:

Would be kind of funny if Coleman Scott ended up at Penn State if Jimmy Kennedey heads to Stillwater.

I think it would be awesome if that happened.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, headshuck said:

Henry Cejudo & Gable Steveson.

I guess at this point in his maturity trajectory, I wouldn't have associated "Gable Steveson" with "shaping young lives." But who knows?

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Bubba Jenkins middle weight coach.

ankle band/skeet shooting celebration technique coach

Edited by gromit

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Coleman is a PA boy...maybe he wants to go home.

I doubt he wants to come home to be an assistant and Penn state , Pitt , lock haven and Lehigh are pretty set with coaches so what is he going to coach Franklin and Marshall? Bloomsburg? 

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

He was in the corner for a couple of HS kids at U20s recently. Seems to be a well-liked guy.

He's training at Lehigh RTC (LVWC). Very friendly guy.

I think he should bring along a well-established and liked head coach like Chris Bono. I'm sure us Wisconsin fans would be sad to see him go but would completely understand....

We would be happy to welcome Coleman Scott to lead our team in Madison 

Someone please make this happen. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Haha 1

A few things:

I think Taylor brings all his own guys, which is a little crazier than usual in this situation because guys like Chris Perry are stillwater lifers apparently. Its not as wild as it could have been sense guerrero and esposito left, but it was almost a situation where your firing a bunch of guys who seemed like they were wed to that job and location for life. Don't really mean anything by that its just a note.

STYLE: The OSU style is going to go away. Cowboys were the most distinctive wrestlers in the NCAA, in terms of tactics, tie ups, and just how they look in their stances. Now in the modern world we seem to figuring out that this style was overly skill based, just like Iowa insufficiently skill based, cause they both seem a little dated (PSU obviously seems like everyone can grind while hurting people on the scoreboard as well). I don't think Taylor is gonna make the whole team wrestle like him, especially at first when he doesn't have guys he recruited, but obviously he's not gonna be trying to maintain the system they've been using for 30 years, thats part of why I think he has to bring all his own guys in.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

7 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Oh, what wolverines are you referring to? 

Purely metaphorically, not actual UMich guys, just dudes who you look at and would expect to be able to handle bc 40 pounds is a big difference, but the force production they create is just on another level.

9 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Purely metaphorically, not actual UMich guys, just dudes who you look at and would expect to be able to handle bc 40 pounds is a big difference, but the force production they create is just on another level.

To continue your earlier posts: John Smith claimed to have beaten every World/Olympic rep in training camp matches in the general vicinity of his own Olympic weight.  This streak supposedly continued until Jamill Kelly defeated him in 2004 training camp.  Whether this actually happened is unknown, but it is what he told Kelly.  No word on whether that was true or Smith was trying to psych Kelly up.

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I’ve wrestled some wolverine mfers who felt like they were made of wood.

I have watched gabe dean’s eyes after he got absolutely rag dolled by kyle dake.  There are levels to human beings. A man who had 40 lbs on dake, and a man who finished 3-1-1-2 at ncaa’s.  

People tell the same stories about John Smith from the 2000’s in the OSU room.

I think Mike Mal said it best.  “Eric Guerrero would ragdoll me, just embarrass me, I can’t move him a foot, and then he would go with John, and he would look like he’d never wrestled a day in his life.”

So yes, I believe those stories.  Our ego’s don’t want us to believe those stories.  Video evidence is helping keep our egos in check. 

I don't think it is ego (although that may be the case for NM1965) as much as it is logic.  There are talks of Gable being unbeatable in the room, but when he actually put in on the line and attempted a comeback to make the 1976 team he lost to to a college guy - Lee Kemp.  John Smith is the goat, but he lost multiple times to Reinoso who ended up losing to D2 guys when he came to America. 

I expect many will have similar stories about David Taylor dominating the room at OSU.  Presumably near his peak he just lost to a college senior Aaron Brooks who was beaten by Marcus Coleman.  Taylor when asked about Kerkvliet kind of admitted to avoiding him in the room because of his size.

The idea that Gable, Smith, Sanderson, Cunningham, Taylor ect by and large get the better of nearly all their wrestlers I would 't dispute, but they get to pick their spots and they are wrestling guys they know well.  In a match it would go differently sometimes.  There is a reason these guys are retired and coaching instead of competing.

• Bob 2

3 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I don't think it is ego (although that may be the case for NM1965) as much as it is logic.  There are talks of Gable being unbeatable in the room, but when he actually put in on the line and attempted a comeback to make the 1976 team he lost to to a college guy - Lee Kemp.  John Smith is the goat, but he lost multiple times to Reinoso who ended up losing to D2 guys when he came to America. 

I expect many will have similar stories about David Taylor dominating the room at OSU.  Presumably near his peak he just lost to a college senior Aaron Brooks who was beaten by Marcus Coleman.  Taylor when asked about Kerkvliet kind of admitted to avoiding him in the room because of his size.

The idea that Gable, Smith, Sanderson, Cunningham, Taylor ect by and large get the better of nearly all their wrestlers I would 't dispute, but they get to pick their spots and they are wrestling guys they know well.  In a match it would go differently sometimes.  There is a reason these guys are retired and coaching instead of competing.

The really smart coaches wait until the 2nd half of practice when the studs are a little tired to jump in.   Helps keep the legacy going.  😎

• Bob 4
  • Brain 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I doubt he wants to come home to be an assistant and Penn state , Pitt , lock haven and Lehigh are pretty set with coaches so what is he going to coach Franklin and Marshall? Bloomsburg? 

I saw Minnow say supposedly there should be another EIWA job opening, no clue if any truth to it or where.  

Hofstra is an option, but talk about a COL shock…

I just hope he takes his and doesn't rush the decision.  There are some really good guys around the country, he needs to think about weight distribution.  Makes sense to have someone that's been in the PSU room besides him.  Its good to keep someone (not Perry) on board for a year who knows the local ropes.  But otherwise get the best possible to develop your plan.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I saw Minnow say supposedly there should be another EIWA job opening, no clue if any truth to it or where.  

Hofstra is an option, but talk about a COL shock…

head coach at rising ACC school, then top assistant at ok state , then starting over as head coach at an underwhelming ivy-less EIWA school all in a 3 yr span when you’ve had nothing but success in that time frame , that has to be tough , I’d be feeling real bitter if I was Coleman Scott right now 

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

head coach at rising ACC school, then top assistant at ok state , then starting over as head coach at an underwhelming ivy-less EIWA school all in a 3 yr span when you’ve had nothing but success in that time frame , that has to be tough , I’d be feeling real bitter if I was Coleman Scott right now 

Don't know why, he is a grown man and I'm betting like John he wants whats best for OSU wrestling.