Vito out?

13 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

If true, that's a major bummer. 

if you polled the fans I feel like he'd be a narrow favorite. His negatives would definitely poll very low.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Apparently, it's true.

He's out.

(Sorry to hear about it, as well.)

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Brain 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

6 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Man, I hate having only 6 weights so bad!! A guy like Vito could be Olympic gold medalist, but there’s just no weight class that exists for his body size. 

I really sucks... there are decent wrestlers that are virtually stuck between weight classes.

Bring back the ten weight classes, dammit!!!

D3

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Maybe it isn't a weight issue, or just a weight issue?

I hope he is okay.  To not attempt 65 KG likely means the attempt to descend has hurt him.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Why would he not give 65 KG an attempt?

He and Yianni are bros, so he may have chosen to cut rather than bump up this cycle out of respect. If Yianni's concussions hold him out from competing, I'd like to see Vito fill into a fullsized 65. I hope his recovery goes well. This really sucks.

INJURIES SUCK!!!!!

Not surprised about this news.  Had real injury issues.  Weight pull would be tough.  Sounds like the weight pull is aggravating the injury.  

Guy is amazing.  Hoping his healing period does wonders for him.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Man, I hate having only 6 weights so bad!! A guy like Vito could be Olympic gold medalist, but there’s just no weight class that exists for his body size. 

yes this…the weights should be between the weights for non olympic years…the sport is run by doofuses and as such will never reach its potential among the others. when you take half your star athletes and ask them to go up or down while the other half stays their natural weight, you are cutting your own throat…and dont even get me started on stigmatizing the non oly weights the other 3/4 of the time…it is plain dumb from any business perspective known to man

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He got this injury before the NCAA season right?

Also, I wonder if one of he or Yianni switches RTC’s if they’ll both be at 65 for 2028?

probably, but they did it in highschool so who knows

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

First, for those saying he should just go up to 65, could you imagine him wrestling someone the size of Zain Retherford? The size/strength advantage would be too much to overcome. I’m sure he’s wrestled Yianni enough to know his only chance to make the team is to go down. 

Secondly, he was clearly injured before NCAAs but he found a way to peak for that competition despite the injury. I’m sure the Olympic trials are much more important to him, so he could find a way to do it if he didn’t also have to deal with the tremendous weight cut.

So I’m blaming this one entirely on the IOC and the idiotic fact that they are only allowing 6 weights. I just don’t get it… if it’s too many over all medals or whatever, cut them from one of the ridiculous made up sports. Not from one of the original sports of the Olympic Games! I know they almost cut our sport altogether so we have to take what we can get blah, blah, blah. It’s still not right.

Do we think he could have made the cut if he didn’t wrestle the NCAA season?  Will there be any blame towards Cornell/Mike Grey for “wasting” him in the NCAA like there was for Tom Brands and Spencer Lee?

I don’t think so.  Vito had a lot to say in the matter.  He expressly wanted to wrestle the college season and did NOT want to take an Olympic red shirt.  He wanted to graduate college.  If took red shirt would have to leave college for the year.  

Vito had a ton of agency in the decision making and how this all unfolded.

• Bob 2

9 hours ago, Ched64 said:

yes this…the weights should be between the weights for non olympic years…the sport is run by doofuses and as such will never reach its potential among the others. when you take half your star athletes and ask them to go up or down while the other half stays their natural weight, you are cutting your own throat…and dont even get me started on stigmatizing the non oly weights the other 3/4 of the time…it is plain dumb from any business perspective known to man

It's not up to the people who run the sport. It is up to the International Olympic Committee. They said "Hey wrestling, thanks for the shakedown money and in return you can have 72 medals across however many versions of your sport you want and you have to do double bronze to increase interest. Figure it out."

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet