John Smith retires

4 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Maybe because it is a state institution they have to follow certain procedures to fill a position?

In 2017, OU announced Lincoln Riley as Bob Stoops' replacement the day Stoops stepped down as head football coach. Maybe procedures are different now; maybe OU simply sidestepped the "interim" language. If Coleman is the man, I'm just surprised the messaging isn't well-coordinated.

Not everyone gets this right. My hometown school (Syracuse) has the nation's premiere communications school and couldn't get its ducks in a row when Jim Boeheim retired as head basketball coach.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5e349de8527dcf49dad838dc/lincoln-riley-releases-statement-on-taking-over-for-bob-stoops

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+stoops+retires&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS1099US1099&oq=bob+stoops+retires&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDM5OTJqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

13 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

My thoughts as well.  Probably has to be publicly posted and open for a set amount of time.  Coleman didn't leave the head coaching job at UNC without assurances.

But couldn't those assurances go out the window depending on who applies?  If OSU has to have an open application period you'd have to think some of the biggest names in the sport would consider applying.  Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Cormier, Askren, Pendleton, Popolizio, Robie, Cunningham, Jones, Grey, ect.  you'd have to think that is any of those guys have any aspirations of coaching a team to an NCAA title they would consider applying.  

There are only 5 programs (Iowa, OSU, Minnesota, PSU, Ohio State) that have won NCAA titles in the past 35 years.  Openings at these programs do not come along often.  In that time OSU has had two head coaches, Ohio State two head coaches, Minnesota two head coaches, Iowa three head coaches, and PSU 4 head coaches.  Including this vacancy at OSU that is 9 vacancies in 35 years.  

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

42 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Maybe because it is a state institution they have to follow certain procedures to fill a position?

That's what I'm thinking.....maybe I'll get him out walleye fishing again now!!!  Fadz

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kov88 said:

Wonder who and how many wrestlers hit the portal, or if this was expected

I'm assuming they knew....and given the improvement that the team made this year with Scott coming in, I would expect most if not all to stay. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

@Husker_Du, give us the dets, Brain.

i did word it poorly.

i heard it was coming just moments before OKST posted then deleted the announcement.

i meant the 'rumors' were running amok. 

the rumors being - John was retiring and a major Asst. was going to be added. 

i had no idea it was going to be posted today. 

• Bob 1

TBD

2 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Why the interim title for Coleman then? We all agree - this makes no sense.

In big companies.   Often for big promotions (like director to vp) they give you an interim title…. Like senior director or they keep your director title to see how you do before allowing the title promo????   Something like that maybe.     Or it’s something nefarious and they don’t wanna commit to this. 

Or to see if a big whale name is interested in the position.

”Oh no Casey Cunningham/Kyle Dake have decided they want to be a head coach…thanks for making the trip Coleman, we appreciate the enthusiasm of all our wrestling alumni”

2 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Or to see if a big whale name is interested in the position.

”Oh no Casey Cunningham/Kyle Dake have decided they want to be a head coach…thanks for making the trip Coleman, we appreciate the enthusiasm of all our wrestling alumni”

I believe that if there was mutual interest in Cunningham and or Dake - that move would have happened at the time that Coleman joined the staff.  I believe that was the actual "hire" while the rest that plays out will be a formality to confirm what they already determined in their own way.

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I believe that if there was mutual interest in Cunningham and or Dake - that move would have happened at the time that Coleman joined the staff.  I believe that was the actual "hire" while the rest that plays out will be a formality to confirm what they already determined in their own way.

You’re right, the actual hire happened when they told Esposito to move aside.

I was just thinking about what someone else said about it being a state position.  With an organization that big,  11th hour shenanigans always have a seat at the table, despite what we would all ideally hope for.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I would assume Ok St feels they have to open the position up- even if as a formality and can't declare a head coach until that is fulfilled.

Unless it was in Coleman's contract when he signed last year.

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

Can we assume that basically the entire roster shifts up a weight class or two for next season?

I know you are joking but Hamiti and Olejnik both look like they could afford to eat a few burgers 😄

Hey, maybe Hamiti is transferring to OSU because he ate a canadian bacon pizza at Hideaway and he wants to eat it daily? 

Edited by NM1965
  • Bob 1