Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I hope he doesn't go the Vasbinder route and go to a mid-level team that has him migrate to a different weight than is optimal for him.  Maybe a different weight is optimal, but Vasbinder (Michigan State/McKendree) would have been much better suited had he been 'allowed' to go 197lbs.

That being said, Endene's closest match last season was a 6-2 victory over a gent that Glazier Teched via 19-4 in 7:00.  Glazier's victory was at the beginning of the year, so there could have been a good amount of improvement from all three between the beginning and ends of the seasons, but that is the closest comparison you could get (right now).  I think Glazier found his groove AFTER that match, so there is that, too.

So me, I would put him in the fringe R12/R16 area at best right now.  How many teams are in need of that currently where they might be willing to shell out even a small back?  What teams?

Isiah white is the first example that comes to mind of d2 guys that had a ton of success at the d1 level, and I think Joey Davis would have been a multiple time AA had he made the transition, but seeing Bo Bassett tech in 2:56 23-4 the returning fifth place who would go on to take third this year makes me wonder at times just how big the disparity between D1 and D2 is. For reference two weeks prior Bassett had to come from behind to beat angelo rini and vince santaniello who are solid, but neither were NQ's. Of course, this does not apply to ever d2 wrestler just something I was thinking about. James Jopling went fourth, third the last two years and I think was fourth string at Nc state.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Isiah white is the first example that comes to mind of d2 guys that had a ton of success at the d1 level, and I think Joey Davis would have been a multiple time AA had he made the transition, but seeing Bo Bassett tech in 2:56 23-4 the returning fifth place who would go on to take third this year makes me wonder at times just how big the disparity between D1 and D2 is. For reference two weeks prior Bassett had to come from behind to beat angelo rini and vince santaniello who are solid, but neither were NQ's. Of course, this does not apply to ever d2 wrestler just something I was thinking about. James Jopling went fourth, third the last two years and I think was fourth string at Nc state.

I am a big fan of Joey Davis - always was and always will be.

That said, his senior year - in which he won at 184lbs, he scraped by in a 4-2 Decision victory over a ~0.500 wrestler from Penn who was also coming up fro 174lbs.

Add in that despite him having a good size advantage on Alex Dieringer at the ASC, Dieringer dominated - dare I say destroyed - him.

His Junior year he did beat Ottinger (CMU starter, multiple time NQ, Mark Martin (OSU starter, multiple time NQ) and Wilps (Pittsburgh starter who placed 7th that year) at 174lbs, so maybe 184 wasn't the optimal weight for him.

So if he isn't going to be a good example of those who could succeed from D2 to D1 then I don't know who would be.

There are many examples to pool from.  Unfortunately there are going to be more D2/D3 guys who don't find the same success than do, and there are going to be many more guys who don't find success at the D1 level that do at the D2/D3 level.  There is a reason D1 is considered the highest level.

Edit:  Isaiah White is a good example, but I think he is an exception.  Particularly because he was supposed to go the D1 route and couldn't academically make it, so his 'pit stop' was to fix those issues.

Edited by nhs67
  • Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

This is better for college wrestling.

Absolutely - Allirez staying is a win for the little guy and for all of college wrestling. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

what am i missing here? 

Nothing underhanded, just jerkin' chains...

You had posted your podcast with that, 'Feller' :classic_cool: about seven hours before and you said you hadn't, talked to him(Alirez).

5 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

an hour or so later Alirez called me. 

I hear ya. It just fell into place. I had just finished watching the pod and then someone posted your twit/x comment...🍻

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

Seems to have worked for him up to this point. He's improved every season...

To an extent. A few years ago he had teched Nick Lee in FS. Fast forward to now, Nick Lee just beat him at OTT. So has he progressed, yes of course. But maybe not at the same rate as someone in an elite training room.

Edited by Winners Circle
  • Bob 1

Just now, MPhillips said:

Seems to have worked for him up to this point. He's improved every season...

Very true its just hard to imagine he can be at his absolute best in a setting where he does not have guys on his level or better than him on a given day. Perhaps hes doing something similar to micic where he is traveling as well as bringing guys in, but thinking about their team I would assume Zerben and Serrano are his main partners and while they're very good they are not world class.

3 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

To an extent. A few years ago he had teched Nick Lee in FS. Fast forward to now, Nick Lee just beat him at OTT. So has he progressed, yes of course. But maybe not at the same rate as someone in an elite training room.

I wouldn't read too much into that match. It was a takedown to a lace with four quick rolls. The most freestyle of techs, and unlikely to be repeated in either direction.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I wouldn't read too much into that match. It was a takedown to a lace with four quick rolls. The most freestyle of techs, and unlikely to be repeated in either direction.

I understand all of that. I was just pointing out the rate of improvement comparative to someone who's been in an elite training room.

I know he has spoken about MMA aspirations, I really hope he sticks it out for another quad but if he were to go the MMA route Immediately Colorado is a good place to be and he would not be tied to an RTC then.

38 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Very true its just hard to imagine he can be at his absolute best in a setting where he does not have guys on his level or better than him on a given day. Perhaps hes doing something similar to micic where he is traveling as well as bringing guys in, but thinking about their team I would assume Zerben and Serrano are his main partners and while they're very good they are not world class.

It's a fair point, but also worth considering that different people thrive in different environments.

He developed into a national champion with his current coach.  It's possible that this is the best situation for him, despite the perceived lack of competition in the room.  

51 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Wonder if that's any indication regarding Amos' injury at OTT...

I had not even considered that but that is a good point. I immediately thought this means Amos at HWT.