PSU at Iowa Predictions Thread

I would only put Keuter out there if he is gunning for it.  If there is even the slightest bit of hesitation on his side, then he's not ready.  He would most definitely be annihilated by the guy who in my opinion has made himself a favorite for Hodge.  If you think something like that could discourage a young kid who is already proficient at a more popular and profitable sport, it could make you second guess.

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

It won't be close, but I think there's a great shot for Glazier to keep it to a decision.  Brooks is just more athletic and more technical than Glazier, a tough combination to overcome unless you have some physicality/bully to you, which Glazier doesn't really wrestle that kind of bruising style.

I think the only guy to keep Brooks to a decision this year is Hidlay. 

Glazier's put together a real nice season, but Brooks is an absolute freak.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, BAC said:

I think the only guy to keep Brooks to a decision this year is Hidlay. 

Glazier's put together a real nice season, but Brooks is an absolute freak.  

You could be right but Glazier has some stingy defense and excellent size and strength for the weight which will help slow Brooks down.  I think Brooks wins by seven points and walks off frustrated he couldn't get the major

No allegiance to either team, but would be fun to watch this play out:

125 - Ayala maj Davis 4-0
133 - Schriever dec Nagao  7-0 (I think Nagao will have to pick top to get his best position and Schriever is showing he can come on strong in the third)
141 -  Woods dec Bartlett 10-0 
149 - Rathjen dec Kasak  13-0
157 - Franek dec Haines  16-0
165 - Caliendo dec Mesenbrink  19-0
174 - Starocci tf Kennedy  19-5
184 - Truax tf Riggins  19-10
197 - Brooks tf Glazier 19-15
285 - Kerk tf Keuter 19-20

CHA implodes.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

You could be right but Glazier has some stingy defense and excellent size and strength for the weight which will help slow Brooks down.  I think Brooks wins by seven points and walks off frustrated he couldn't get the major

Yeah, you and Vak could be right too.  It's certainly true that the guys Brooks handles most easily are the guys who actually try to win.  The question is, will Glazier wrestle to win, or to not get majored?  I'm hoping that in a dual in Carver he'll want to go for the W.

21 minutes ago, BAC said:

Yeah, you and Vak could be right too.  It's certainly true that the guys Brooks handles most easily are the guys who actually try to win.  The question is, will Glazier wrestle to win, or to not get majored?  I'm hoping that in a dual in Carver he'll want to go for the W.

he can't win a shoot out though...wrestling to win and wrestling to not get majored are gonna look real simialr.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

he can't win a shoot out though...wrestling to win and wrestling to not get majored are gonna look real simialr.

Yeah. If you open up and actually shoot on Brooks, you’re giving up points. The dude has superlative defense and you’re unlikely to actually score on him; he’ll then run around you for three. And, that’s only if he lets off the gas long enough to give you the opportunity.

I have the same thoughts on Mesenbrink. Not as proven as Brooks but his offensive output is sky high. If you actually try to wrestle him, you may score 8 or 10 points but he’ll score 18. He’s not afraid to give up points while going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I would only put Keuter out there if he is gunning for it.  If there is even the slightest bit of hesitation on his side, then he's not ready.  He would most definitely be annihilated by the guy who in my opinion has made himself a favorite for Hodge.  If you think something like that could discourage a young kid who is already proficient at a more popular and profitable sport, it could make you second guess.

I think maybe you put Arnold & Keuter out there because you want to get them experience to beat OSU, PSU is a lost cause.  But what do I know ... let's ask Jimmy.  🙄

I could definitely see Keuter going.

For some reason I thought Arnold only had 1 date left, but seems he actually has 2 in which case he probably does go, unless the rumors are true that he is injured 

Edited by 1032004

On 2/5/2024 at 3:05 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

Lotta folks are down on Iowa since the UM dual, but I think it gives Ol' Tommie and his boys the kick in the ass they all need for this week. Plus they'll be wrestling at CHA and extra fired up. I won't go so far as to say the Iowa takes this one but I expect much more competitive matches, no going through the motions like we saw in Ann Arbor.

125 - Ayala dec Davis  0-3 Hawks
133 - Nagao dec Schrievske  3-3 All
141 - Woods dec Bartlett   3-6 Hawks
149 - Rathjean dec Kasak  3-9 Hawks
157 - Haines dec Franek  6-9 Hawks
165 - Mesenbrink maj Caliendo  10-9 PSU
174 - Starocci maj PK  14-9 PSU
184 - Truax dec Riggins  17-9 PSU
197 - Brooks tf Glazier 22-9 PSU
285 - Kerk maj Hillcoot 26-9 PSU

If Arnold suits up at 174, it'll be worth the price of admission no matter what happens.

I am just catching up on this thread, so I am sure more people have talked about this, but.....This. THIS. THIIIIISSSS!!!!!!

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

This is based on what I saw last week (and tbh most of the season).  In all honesty, I think Iowa has wrestled well, and some of their less established guys have shown improvement, but it won't be enough.  I would be happy to be wrong.

125 Ayala dec Davis 3-0 Iowa

133 Nagao dec. Schriever 3-3

141 Bartlett dec. Woods 6-3 PSU

149 Kasak dec, Rathje 9-3 PSU

157 Haines dec Franek 12-3 PSU

165 Mesenbrink dec Caliendo 15-3 PSU

174 Starocci dec. Kennedy 18-3 PSU

184 Truax maj Riggins 22-3 PSU

197 Brooks dec. Glazier 25-3 PSU

285 Kerk wbf Hill 31-3 PSU

A little Carver magic could help (and prob will) help Iowa turn the tide at at least one match 133-165 and reverse my prediction.  Any of the matches 174-197 could easily get uglier for Iowa if things go wrong, unless there are some lineup shenanigans.

I have PSU by 28, but wouldn't be surprised if it were 22.  

23 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Past predictors who have not presently predicted:

@BerniePragle, @Gus, @Interviewed_at_Weehawken, @ionel, @Perry, @RandolphTJones, @1032004, @D3UC157, @FearTheTurtle, @fishbane, @Holtfan, @Nailbender, @Nittanychris, @PortaJohn.

Prodigal predictors come home. No questions asked. We will kill the fatted calf.

I thought I made a prediction back on page 4.  34--1 PSU.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:49 AM, D3 for LU said:

Sooo... who'll throw that hissy-fit to get that team point deducted?

(Inquiring minds want to know... )

D3

This one will be on the coaching staff control of mat area violation.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:58 AM, JimmyBT said:

125 - Iowa 3

133 - PSU 3

141 - Iowa 3

149 - Iowa 3

157 - PSU 3

165 - Iowa 3

174 - PSU 4

184 - PSU 4

197 - PSU 3

HWT - PSU 4

PSU 21

Iowa 12

That’s beast case scenario 

14 hours ago, BAC said:

I am guessing he will wrestle him similar to his approach v. AJ.   A lot of hand fighting and not a lot of shots hoping to steal a TD at the end.  

16 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I'd be surprised if Cooter doesn't go this week. Winning the dual is important, but "getting out there, wrestling hard, testing yourself, seeing where you're at" is a bigger priority to Ol' Tommie. The postseason is just around the corner and he wants his boys battle tested. If he wants Ben to be the guy, he'll suit up and go.

Similar to Rathjean, though Brands made it sound like he and Voinovich are still competing for the spot. Same with Riggins and PK... as much as I want to see Gabe wrestle, I'm not holding my breath. Ol' Tommie will want his starters to put in the work.

PSU | IA

125 Ayala late takedown in the 3rd           0-3

133 Nagao RT & 2 takedowns                   3-3

141 Woods early TKD sets the tone.         3-6

149 Kasak is better but Carvered?           6-6

157 Who wins in OT?                                 9-6

165 MM breaks Caliendo in the 2nd.       12-6

174 MD for Starr.                                       16-6

184 Arnold's counter D gets him backs  16-9

197 Brooks MD.                                         20-9

HVWT doesn't matter who IA sends.      24-9

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

My prediction:

125: Ayala Dec over Davis 3-0 Iowa
133: Nagao Dec over Schriever 3-3
141: Bartlett Dec over Woods 3-6 PSU
149: Kasak Dec over Rathjen 3-9 PSU
157: Haines M Dec over Franek 3-13 PSU
165: Mesenbrink Dec over Caliendo 3-16 PSU
174: Starocci M Dec over Kennedy 3-20 PSU
184: Truax M dec over Riggins 3-24 PSU
197: Brooks MD over Glazier 3-28 PSU
285: Kerkvliet wbf over arnold 3-34 PSU

There is a legit chance for Davis to beat Ayala and tbh nothing would make me happier than seeing Iowa lose 37 to 0 but I doubt that happens.

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

I am guessing he will wrestle him similar to his approach v. AJ.   A lot of hand fighting and not a lot of shots hoping to steal a TD at the end.  

That won't work against the much more talented Brooks. He'll get bonused if he tries to actually wrestle with him. If he instead wrestles the boundary line first and only, then maybe he only loses by 5 or 6 points. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You did. But I was hoping to get a bit more detail.

125: Davis Dec Ayala 3-0 PSU
133: Nagao Dec Schriever 6-0 PSU
141: Bartlett Dec Woods 9-0 PSU
149: Kasak Dec Rathjen 12-0 PSU
157: Haines Dec Franek 15-0 PSU
165: Mesenbrink MD Caliendo 19-0 PSU
174: Starocci MD over Kennedy 23-0 PSU
184: Truax MD over Riggins 27-0 PSU
197: Brooks MD over Glazier 31-0 PSU
285: Kerkvliet MD Hill 35-0 PSU

Both teams are penalized -1 team point for control of mat area violations in a wild scene between 165 and 174 during which one unfortunate assistant coach is folded like a certain musical instrument.  34--1.  Enough detail?

Just now, fishbane said:

125: Davis Dec Ayala 3-0 PSU
133: Nagao Dec Schriever 6-0 PSU
141: Bartlett Dec Woods 9-0 PSU
149: Kasak Dec Rathjen 12-0 PSU
157: Haines Dec Franek 15-0 PSU
165: Mesenbrink MD Caliendo 19-0 PSU
174: Starocci MD over Kennedy 23-0 PSU
184: Truax MD over Riggins 27-0 PSU
197: Brooks MD over Glazier 31-0 PSU
285: Kerkvliet MD Hill 35-0 PSU

Both teams are penalized -1 team point for control of mat area violations in a wild scene between 165 and 174 during which one unfortunate assistant coach is folded like a certain musical instrument.  34--1.  Enough detail?

nope. I'm gonna need the name of the assistant.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge