Gomez

cangemi

3 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Has ridge ever beaten Austin I feel like he has a decided lead in the head to head. I personally think Caleb is the best guy in the country despite losing once to ridge.

IF Gomez wins out, I think he ends up earning the 1 seed, right?

He needs to be opposite of Henson, because I don't think he wins that match.  Let Lovett beat him in the bottom semi-finals.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 1/26/2024 at 7:54 PM, cangemi said:

Gomez

if stays healthy 2024 national champ

better then field.

Frank C

Gomez is interesting because with no van ness he is definitely talented enough to win the whole weight but I could also see him losing a R12 match to a guy like Ty Watters whose going to attack and come forward for 7 straight minutes 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Gomez is interesting because with no van ness he is definitely talented enough to win the whole weight but I could also see him losing a R12 match to a guy like Ty Watters whose going to attack and come forward for 7 straight minutes 

I agree.  Gomez could win or not AA and I wouldn't be shocked either way.  

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:54 PM, cangemi said:

Gomez

if stays healthy 2024 national champ

better then field.

Frank C

Only person that could stop him is a one Mr. Austin Gomez. Aka he goes for an unnecessary lat drop, cement mixer, double overs/unders, etc. and gives up 7 or a fall. If he just wrestles I don't see anyone that can beat him though.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

With Van Ness, Gomez isn't talented enough to win it all?   I didn't think Van Ness was a next topic, national champ. 

So Gomez has 4 matches right now.  Michigan has duals against Iowa (2/2), Nebraska (2/9), Indiana (2/16) and CMU (2/25) left on their schedule, but Gomez is going to try and qualify 65KG in Mexico Feb 21 - 24.  

Assuming he wrestles Iowa and Nebraska.  Skips CMU. Indiana might be tough if he needs to get down to 143 and travel to Pan Ams 5 days later, he will enter B1Gs with 6 maybe 7 matches.    I assume he will steal someone spot at B1Gs with a good showing. 

After B1Gs, he will have 8+ matches and can get ranked in the Coaches Poll, but won't have an RPI since he won't have 15 matches. 

How much will not having an RPI hurt his seed?  If he doesn't beat Ridge his highest quality win will either be D'Emilio or Webster (Ill) based on Intermat rankings.   Even if he splits with Ridge, he is 8-1 entering NCAAs.   

How does he get seeded?

32 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

So Gomez has 4 matches right now.  Michigan has duals against Iowa (2/2), Nebraska (2/9), Indiana (2/16) and CMU (2/25) left on their schedule, but Gomez is going to try and qualify 65KG in Mexico Feb 21 - 24.  

Assuming he wrestles Iowa and Nebraska.  Skips CMU. Indiana might be tough if he needs to get down to 143 and travel to Pan Ams 5 days later, he will enter B1Gs with 6 maybe 7 matches.    I assume he will steal someone spot at B1Gs with a good showing. 

After B1Gs, he will have 8+ matches and can get ranked in the Coaches Poll, but won't have an RPI since he won't have 15 matches. 

How much will not having an RPI hurt his seed?  If he doesn't beat Ridge his highest quality win will either be D'Emilio or Webster (Ill) based on Intermat rankings.   Even if he splits with Ridge, he is 8-1 entering NCAAs.   

How does he get seeded?

Those are two quality wins already in the bag because both will be at least top 10 seeds. If he beats Rathjen that's a likely top 12 seed win. At B1Gs he will have more opportunities to add to quality wins. Say he wins out and finishes 2nd at B1Gs to Lovett - I can't see a world where he isn't a top 4 seed even without RPI.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet