Jump to content

What national champ has lost to the most national champs?


1032004

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, lu_alum said:

J.P. O'Connor with SIX!  132-17 career (9 losses to six champs):

  • Jordan Leen, 3x (2007 Dual @ 149, 2007 EIWA @ 149, 2009 EIWA @ 157)
  • Dustin Schlatter (2007 NCAA @ 149)
  • Jordan Burroughs, 2x (2008 NCAA @ 149, 2008 Vegas @ 157)
  • Bubba Jenkins (2008 NCAA @ 149)
  • Darrian Caldwell (2008 NCAA @ 149)
  • Gregor Gillespie (2009 NCAA @ 157)

Great find.  I was assuming it had to come out that group of guys .  That era between (149-165) was truly special 

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In addition to Goldman, there are two other three time runner ups who lost to a different wrestler all three times.

Willard Duffy lost to Rex Peery (1935), Ted Anderson (1936), and Joe McDaniel (1938).

Gerry Abas lost to Lincoln McIlravy (1993), Alan Fried (1994), and John Hughes (1995).

It must have really stung for these two, at least Goldman went out a winner in his 4th try.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It must have really stung for these two, at least Goldman went out a winner in his 4th try.

Indeed, but I think the biggest sting was for Bob Fehrs who lost in the final three times, and each time to Mike Caruso, by a total of 7 points between 1965 and 1967. The 1967 match finished 7-6 with a riding time point being the difference. In 1967, Fehrs had wrestled 130 for most of the year but dropped down to 123 for the tournament specifically to get one more crack at Caruso.

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

On the flip side Myles Amine was 1-14 against national champs (1-2 vs Brooks, 0-1 vs Ferrari, 0-5 vs Hall, 0-6 vs Valencia)

Amine beat Hall at the Matman Open (Midlands Replacement).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gantry said:

On Wrestlestat how do you find the info on wrestlers like Myles Amine who graduated?  They don't come up via search but I'm sure they didn't just delete all their old match data. 

The search on the website doesn’t always work but you can just google Myles Amine wrestlestat and it should come up.  You might need to create a wrestlestat account though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Gantry said:

On Wrestlestat how do you find the info on wrestlers like Myles Amine who graduated?  They don't come up via search but I'm sure they didn't just delete all their old match data. 

Type 'amine wrestlestat' into google.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, silver-medal said:

How about a question where we identify a wrestler who won 2 or more NCAA titles yet lost the most matches to guys who never earned AA.  Without doing any research, I'm going to assume the answer is J. Jaggers.

Then how do you know if it is right?

This was typed by WKN's wife. He is having DT shakes right now and cannot type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

 

This was typed by WKN's wife. He is having DT shakes right now and cannot type.

While we have your attention, is it true you filled out the username info for your husband?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Then how do you know if it is right?

This was typed by WKN's wife. He is having DT shakes right now and cannot type.

32 career losses....All to All Americans?  What would be the probability?  I want to see a chart

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Caveira said:

I’ll bet you Lewboo is up there.  

As Lee Corso would say "NOT SO FAST".....I had to do some digging but I found it!  An AWN/Mike Chapman article on Randy Lewis titled "He wrestled for the pin".  In the article it states that Lewis wrestled 26 different men who had placed in the top 3 in World or Olympic competition, and he beat 23 of them.  He also counts 25 NCAA Champions among his victims.  His career record at Iowa is 127-11-1.   Off the top of my head ....one of his losses was to an undefeated Mike Land (NCAA finals his freshman year)...then Randy won NCAA's in 79 and 80, in 81 got hurt (severely) and still took 7th.  I don't know if he ever lost to Daryll Burley (4 time finalist/2 time champion)  2 losses were to Jim Gibbons the year he got hurt and 1 was to Ricky Delagatta.  He may have lost to Delagatta more than once in his career.  Delagatta never won it though, finishing 4-3-3.  The Lewis/Burley matches were some of my favorite matches to watch....Midland's, NCAA's, East West All-Star/

randylewis.jpg

  • Fire 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

As Lee Corso would say "NOT SO FAST".....I had to do some digging but I found it!  An AWN/Mike Chapman article on Randy Lewis titled "He wrestled for the pin".  In the article it states that Lewis wrestled 26 different men who had placed in the top 3 in World or Olympic competition, and he beat 23 of them.  He also counts 25 NCAA Champions among his victims.  His career record at Iowa is 127-11-1.   Off the top of my head ....one of his losses was to an undefeated Mike Land (NCAA finals his freshman year)...then Randy won NCAA's in 79 and 80, in 81 got hurt (severely) and still took 7th.  I don't know if he ever lost to Daryll Burley (4 time finalist/2 time champion)  2 losses were to Jim Gibbons the year he got hurt and 1 was to Ricky Delagatta.  He may have lost to Delagatta more than once in his career.  Delagatta never won it though, finishing 4-3-3.  The Lewis/Burley matches were some of my favorite matches to watch....Midland's, NCAA's, East West All-Star/

randylewis.jpg

They tied once. He did lose to Burley. IIRC- it was at Midlands in '82 while redshirting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Caio Aron

    College Park, Texas
    Class of 2025
    Committed to California Baptist
    Projected Weight: 133, 141

    Jeff Lopez

    Clovis West, California
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Oregon State
    Projected Weight: 141

    Colin Kelly

    Mount Carmel, Illinois
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Illinois
    Projected Weight: 174

    Connor Wetzel

    Shikellamy, Pennsylvania
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Lock Haven
    Projected Weight: 174, 184

    Max Brady

    Mariner, Florida
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Campbell
    Projected Weight: 141
×
×
  • Create New...