What national champ has lost to the most national champs?

11 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

As Lee Corso would say "NOT SO FAST".....I had to do some digging but I found it!  An AWN/Mike Chapman article on Randy Lewis titled "He wrestled for the pin".  In the article it states that Lewis wrestled 26 different men who had placed in the top 3 in World or Olympic competition, and he beat 23 of them.  He also counts 25 NCAA Champions among his victims.  His career record at Iowa is 127-11-1.   Off the top of my head ....one of his losses was to an undefeated Mike Land (NCAA finals his freshman year)...then Randy won NCAA's in 79 and 80, in 81 got hurt (severely) and still took 7th.  I don't know if he ever lost to Daryll Burley (4 time finalist/2 time champion)  2 losses were to Jim Gibbons the year he got hurt and 1 was to Ricky Delagatta.  He may have lost to Delagatta more than once in his career.  Delagatta never won it though, finishing 4-3-3.  The Lewis/Burley matches were some of my favorite matches to watch....Midland's, NCAA's, East West All-Star/

randylewis.jpg

Thanks.  His posts were my favorite when he used to post on here.  

Where are people finding regular season match results for wrestlers in the pre-wrestlestat era?

I was looking for Michael Lightner who from 1998 - 2001 lost to three champions in the tournament (Mark Ironside, Doug Schwab, and Carl Perry), but I cannot find who his other 12 loses are to.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

what 4 timer has lost to the most NCAA champs? Stieber I guess with the 1 loss to Retherford?

3 timer? Tom Brands has 3 that I can think of - Jim Martin, Kendall Cross, and Alan Fried. Anyone else for him or what about other 3 timers?

2 timer? Jeff McGuiness has 4 that I can think of - Sanshiro Abe, Eric Guererro, Casey Cunningham, and Adam Tirapelle. Anyone else for him or what about other 2 timers?

thinking JP O'Connor's 6 is going to stand as most for a 1 timer. 

29 minutes ago, 11986 said:

what 4 timer has lost to the most NCAA champs? Stieber I guess with the 1 loss to Retherford?

3 timer? Tom Brands has 3 that I can think of - Jim Martin, Kendall Cross, and Alan Fried. Anyone else for him or what about other 3 timers?

2 timer? Jeff McGuiness has 4 that I can think of - Sanshiro Abe, Eric Guererro, Casey Cunningham, and Adam Tirapelle. Anyone else for him or what about other 2 timers?

thinking JP O'Connor's 6 is going to stand as most for a 1 timer. 

Didn't Stieber lose to Jordan Oliver first time they met his freshman year?

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Now THOSE are some quality losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed and he also has wins over 3 of those 4, maybe all 4. Not sure if he wrestled and beat Guererro earlier in the year he lost to him at NCAAs. I know he avenged regular season loss to Tirapelle at Big Ten same year, had multiple wins over Abe the year McGiness won his first title, and he avenged regular season loss to Cunningham in the NCAA finals same year. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

They tied once. He did lose to Burley. IIRC- it was at Midlands in '82 while redshirting.

Thanks, you were close, he did lose to Burley 8-7 in the Midland Finals, but it was in 1981.  One of number of their classic matchups!  Loved it when the locked up/upper body.  There was a chance for some fireworks.  I may even have that match in my library (super 8 transferred to video)....good chance I do!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Thanks, you were close, he did lose to Burley 8-7 in the Midland Finals, but it was in 1981.  One of number of their classic matchups!  Loved it when the locked up/upper body.  There was a chance for some fireworks.  I may even have that match in my library (super 8 transferred to video)....good chance I do!

Right- I was thinking it was school year ending in '82. Midlands are before NYE.

• Fire 1