2 hours ago, jross said:

Yianni Diakomihalis is not overhyped.

Seniors - World Silver (55-10) | World Cadet Gold x 2
College - Champion x4 (115-2)
High School - Champion x4 (243–3)

Notable Senior Victories

Where did you find this info, it’s great 

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Ok for the 3rd time on this thread this is about freestyle , I already pointed out that yianni is in the Mount Rushmore discussion for folk style he had an absolutely amazing career…but you say still growing resume and my whole point was he’s currently 4th on the US ladder for 65kg behind Lee , McKenna after losing to him today for a 3rd time and Zain whose a world champ and coming down from 70 , but when yianni first came on scene he was talked about like the next synder or Burroughs and he’s not even close to that level 

Ok  … please find one shred of proof that he was talked about as the next Burroughs or Snyder.  That is complete BS.  You are trying to build a straw man that will allow you to look cool tearing down.  Pathetic.  

Yes, many thought he was the best chance to medal at 65.  A brutal weight class.  He actually did medal at 65.

So, while the setup of this thread is stupid and speaks to antitroll’s actual troll character …. I will say that Yianni is an incredible scrambler and fun to watch, but he isn’t so good that he should rely on that and he doesn’t have the tool box that some other guys have.  Wish he would learn some more technique.  He is not #1 in US now and I had been hoping (not sure I can say expecting and I never predicted) he would create some separation from the US field by now.  May the best wrestler win the spot for the Olympics … and get us qualified!!

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Metcalf, Mocco, Schlatter (maybe due to injury in part), Askren. 

Many of the best domestic wrestlers have been humbled against international competition. We are in a golden era where a guy who has won "only" one world silver medal at age 24 can be viewed as overhyped. 

People got off these guys trains a lot earlier. If JO enters at 70kg, there will be posters on here saying he can or will beat Zain. He’s old AF now, mid 30s

23 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

So, while the setup of this thread is stupid and speaks to antitroll’s actual troll character …. I will say that Yianni is an incredible scrambler and fun to watch, but he isn’t so good that he should rely on that and he doesn’t have the tool box that some other guys have.  Wish he would learn some more technique.  He is not #1 in US now and I had been hoping (not sure I can say expecting and I never predicted) he would create some separation from the US field by now.  May the best wrestler win the spot for the Olympics … and get us qualified!!

On 11/5/2023 at 7:05 AM, Dark Energy said:

Ok  … please find one shred of proof that he was talked about as the next Burroughs or Snyder.  That is complete BS.  You are trying to build a straw man that will allow you to look cool tearing down.  Pathetic.  

Yes, many thought he was the best chance to medal at 65.  A brutal weight class.  He actually did medal at 65.

Are u kidding? Are some of you related to yianni ? I can’t ask a question that criticizes a guy that sells  “have some nuts” Tshirts , that every time he gives an interview he talks about how he’s going to dominate everyone and yet he just keeps losing to other Americans who get no hype or love ….it’s about 5 years since he sued for a rematch and 3/4 of the wrestling community cheered him on and since then he’s lost to more US guys then teams he’s actually made 

have you been living in a cave , since yianni and Spencer got to college they both have been hyped over and over as the future of US wrestling, guys done 100 flo interviews , the narrative that “he’s our best chance to medal “ been going on since he was a sophomore at Cornell …Yianni gets more hype and praise then a guy like Gilman whose a world champ and Olympic medalist , you see more yianni interviews and hype then you do for Kyle Synder , who had 4/5 world medals at the same age ,Hell flo had a whole conversation years ago led by Askren where they said yianni might be our 65 rep for the next 10 years, meanwhile we ve seen no evidence he ll ever beat nick Lee again 

I see people rag on kids that have been injured , call other kids busts , but god forbid someone mention prince Yianni and Y’all break out the pitch forks 

44 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Are u kidding? Are some of you related to yianni ? I can’t ask a question that criticizes a guy that sells  “have some nuts” Tshirts , that every time he gives an interview he talks about how he’s going to dominate everyone and yet he just keeps losing to other Americans who get no hype or love

I remember seeing his interview after winning a rare 4th NCAA title when Kessenich asked him about his world silver after beating Sasso in ho-hum manner "That's not going to do it, what I just did. It's not [even] going to get me on the team. So I've got to do more, got to get better."

He literally said he needs to improve to even compete domestically after winning a silver medal at the toughest weight in the world.

Touch grass dude.

i am an idiot on the internet

Antitroll = Troll.  Perfect example of being called out for over the top BS trolling (next Burroughs / Snyder) and then deflecting and crying about being called out for being over the top.  Even quotes my post providing criticism of Yianni and cries that we don’t let people criticize Yianni.  Can’t make this stuff up. 

Acts like an A$$ and then whines when called out for it.  

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How many years has it been since Yianni won his?  5 or so?

1 minute ago, Gus said:

And to do so he beat Tevanyan (2023 world bronze), Bajrang (olympic bronze, world bronze 3x, world silver), Seabass (2023 world silver)

3 minutes ago, Gus said:

And to do so he beat Tevanyan (2023 world bronze), Bajrang (olympic bronze, world bronze 3x, world silver), Seabass (2023 world silver)

Yes, I am aware of all of this.  Also has recent losses to McKenna (DNQ) and Lee (2x) (8th).

Not sure if any of this is a good reason to diminish Zadick's accomplishment.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

18 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

People got off these guys trains a lot earlier. If JO enters at 70kg, there will be posters on here saying he can or will beat Zain. He’s old AF now, mid 30s

Is JO still wrestling? I thought someone here mentioned that he moved on to MMA.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes, I am aware of all of this.  Also has recent losses to McKenna (DNQ) and Lee (2x) (8th).

Not sure if any of this is a good reason to diminish Zadick's accomplishment.

Who is doing that?  The initial claim by a certain troll was that people were always saying that Yianni was our best chance to medal, and I and others are pointing out that was exactly true, since it's been seventeen years since anyone other than Yianni won a medal at 65kg, and he did it only last year.  And the fact that he's got domestic losses means nothing compared to that fact.

3 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Who is doing that?  The initial claim by a certain troll was that people were always saying that Yianni was our best chance to medal, and I and others are pointing out that was exactly true, since it's been seventeen years since anyone other than Yianni won a medal at 65kg, and he did it only last year.  And the fact that he's got domestic losses means nothing compared to that fact.

This actually has been said a lot by a lot of people.  Even on here and the old forums.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I see what the OP is saying here. The fanbase has repeatedly anointed YD as the next American great, based on his results leading into his Senior level career. I don't think those people were exactly making a stretch on their hopes, but I also don't think the OP should be blasted for pointing out YD's senior level results either. It's not like his dad is on here going on and on and on about how YD walks on water and that USAW should be clearing the way for his kid.

That said, I think all of this goes to show just how freaking tough it is out on that Senior circuit to consistently make national teams, let alone earn medals. That's no slight against young John, and even he knows that nothing is a given for what he hopes to accomplish. Musukaev sure as heck isn't getting any worse.

I, for one, hope he does win some World/Olympic golds, as he works his @$$ off, and is a really good dude to boot. #TeamYianniD

• Fire 2

This was phrased as a question, but is really a statement for @Antitroll2828.  

Sure, Yianni has had some trouble recently, by the highest of standards that we have the luxury of setting for the entirety of our lineup bc, excepting 65kg, we have brought home medals, even gold medals in the past three olympic cycles.

We are not good at 65kg.  It is a perennial strugglefest for the US, so when yianni went out and was slinging with the best of them, it made a big difference.  

Before yianni putting it on people in 2022, 2016 Molinaro was our last example of a wrestler with a style, mindset, and attitude that was capable of significant international success.  

I think it is also worth mentioning, 15 pounds on either side of 65kg seems to be the natural weight for males from the caucasus, and for much of the rest if the world for that matter.  That is a much tougher row to hoe than the other weight classes have.  

There, I said it, 65kg is the most under-hyped global weight class.

7 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This was phrased as a question, but is really a statement for @Antitroll2828.  

Sure, Yianni has had some trouble recently, by the highest of standards that we have the luxury of setting for the entirety of our lineup bc, excepting 65kg, we have brought home medals, even gold medals in the past three olympic cycles.

We are not good at 65kg.  It is a perennial strugglefest for the US, so when yianni went out and was slinging with the best of them, it made a big difference.  

Before yianni putting it on people in 2022, 2016 Molinaro was our last example of a wrestler with a style, mindset, and attitude that was capable of significant international success.  

I think it is also worth mentioning, 15 pounds on either side of 65kg seems to be the natural weight for males from the caucasus, and for much of the rest if the world for that matter.  That is a much tougher row to hoe than the other weight classes have.  

There, I said it, 65kg is the most under-hyped global weight class.

No I asked it as a question and responded to some who actually answered the question but overwhelming majority of the responses have been calling me a troll or a douchbag or just grown men white knighting for yianni 

yes I understand he finally got the US a medal at 65 kg but my point is it took 5 yrs to get one medal with 0 Russians , for the level of hype , attention , and focus on yianni ( not all his doing) since he came onto the scene id expect he’d at least have his spot on the team nailed down , but now guys he beat when they were younger have caught him or passed him up but apparently pointing this out makes me a bad person or a hater , for a wrestling forum this is sure filled with a lot of soft sensitive people , I expect that from Cornell fans but not the rest of y’all 

Maybe the question should have been will Yianni make the Olympic Team for 2024?   Then people can say their peace on that.   Or maybe the question could be who will be our 65KG rep on the Olympic MFS team?    Who wants to take on these questions? 

For myself, I don't see Yianni making the team.   He would have to do some major improvement which can be done and a person of his caliber is certainly capable of it.   But as has been noted, 65 is super tough. 

mspart

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

the narrative that “he’s our best chance to medal “ been going on since he was a sophomore at Cornell …

wasn't that the year he beat Bajrang at Beat the Streets?  I'm pretty sure that was part of what started the "he's our best chance to medal" talk.