A.J. Ferrari's case has been dismissed, he will join the Hawkeyes next season

Jimmy Cinnabon

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I promise you, it's ok not to comment on shit you don't know about.  He was charged with rape and forcible penetration WITH A FOREIGN OBJECT.  So no, the verdicts re not inconsistent.

I didn't read the list of charges.   Assuming you're correct, I appreciate it.  

I gathered that his accuser testified extremely briefly and then ran out of the court room, never to  return.   What other admissible evidence was there, anybody know?    The above-linked Wikipedia article refers to a reprimand from the legislature.   That's arguably excessively prejudicial and confusing to the jury, therefore inadmissible (one would think).        

1 minute ago, WildTurk said:

So was there not enough evidence or what? The victim can't just dismiss a case like this correct?  

The prosecution can continue to prosecute, but if it feels it can't get a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, it has reason to let go and move on to the next cases.   Sometimes prosecutions happen anyway though.   Prosecutor Nifong campaigned on the Duke lacrosse rape prosecution endeavor for re-election, but it seems to have backfired on him after he got re-elected.  I've not read up on it in nearly a decade.    

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Call it a bit...it could legit happen unless I missed news that Gable was definitely not wrestling NCAAs this upcoming season.

Even with Gable, Iowa isn't beating PSU especially not in a tournament unless PSU has multiple guys redshirt.

Ferrari isn't beating Brooks.

They could win 125, 141, and 285.   165 if Mesenbrink redshirts.  I'm sure you'll say they can win 157 but they won't.  

7 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

Not true. The decision on whether to charge somebody rests on the local authorities. A victim can refuse to cooperate which makes winning a case a lot tougher. 

This happened to me when I was on a jury.   Guy knifed a girl.   Girl did not show up to testify.   Mistrial so the guy got off.

My take:   Based on the evidence presented to the point of the mistrial, I would have said innocent.   But I tell you this guy was the meanest looking person I have ever seen in my life.   He was guilty of something.   The fact that she didn't show up to testify tells me his buddies got to her.   Bad dude for sure.   Anyway, I was an alternate so I didn't really have to do much and when it was a mistrial, we were all let go.  

But again, based on the testimony that had been presented by the defense, I would have voted not guilty.   It was an unusual case in that the defense went first because the prosecution's star witness was a no show.  Defense rested and the star witness was still a no show.  Mistrial. 

mspart

• Fire 3

Just now, mspart said:

This happened to me when I was on a jury.   Guy knifed a girl.   Girl did not show up to testify.   Mistrial so the guy got off.

My take:   Based on the evidence presented to the point of the mistrial, I would have said innocent.   But I tell you this guy was the meanest looking person I have ever seen in my life.   He was guilty of something.   The fact that she didn't show up to testify tells me his buddies got to her.   Bad dude for sure.   Anyway, I was an alternate so I didn't really have to do much and when it was a mistrial, we were all let go.  

But again, based on the testimony that had been presented by the defense, I would have voted not guilty.   It was an unusual case in that the defense went first because the prosecution's star witness was a no show.  Defense rested and the star witness was still a no show.  Mistrial. 

mspart

I never get chosen.  Last time I was the only one that was asked to be removed from the juror pool by the city instead of the defense attorney.  Folks were openly admitting to having racist tendencies (WTF!) and to having a busy time at work which meant that they should be relieved of their responsibility.  Judge humiliated and shamed these people which I enjoyed thoroughly.  I acknowledged I had a small bias against the state, but also stated that I full believed it would not be an obstacle for me to be objective and that I was fully committed to upholding my responsibility to my fellow citizens.  I also acknowledged when I had been arrested in the past, cops had been guilty of foul play against me.  I guess that means I don't get to provide my voice.  

• Fire 1

Prosecutors get nervous when a potential juror expresses distrust and disapproval of the police.   

But like you mentioned, other prospective jurors raised concerns (regarding themselves) that were also noteworthy.   

Perhaps in comparison, you seemed more tough & determined to stick with your instincts rather than kiss up to the prosecution.   

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Prosecutors get nervous when a potential juror expresses distrust and disapproval of the police.   

But like you mentioned, other prospective jurors raised concerns (regarding themselves) that were also noteworthy.   

Perhaps in comparison, you seemed more tough & determined to stick with your instincts rather than kiss up to the prosecution.   

I hate the gamesmanship aspect - but I suppose thats just how it works

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

How was it a mistrial? Just because somebody doesn't testify doesn't automatically mean mistrial. Any competent prosecutor isn't going to trial without enough evidence to bury somebody. One witness/victim isn't enough. Also just because it was a mistrial doesn't mean they couldn't try again. Generally a mistrial happens they don't just give up. 

Is anybody going to report on what happened here? Seems like it's a lot of speculation in terms of him being "innocent" or the accuser withdrawing the allegations (for whatever reason?).  Based on Ferrari's past actions, I give him zero benefit of the doubt for anything here, but we can't really draw a conclusion unless somebody does some actual reporting. 

• Fire 1