MFS weights qualified

mspart

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think he tweeted something along the lines of, "it's time to take back what's mine."

Which cracked me up. It's not like he was stripped of the title. He lost. Twice.

Actually that is usually how you get stripped of a title in combat sports - you lose to someone. 

9 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Actually that is usually how you get stripped of a title in combat sports - you lose to someone. 

You know damn well the meaning of stripped, in combat sports, means you lose it without competing.  Don't troll our Wkn.  He is a forum treasure and we will protect him.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

@nhs67The shield wall is for his protection brother. No reason to WTF me...:classic_huh:

I WTF'd you because I can't believe I didn't think of it!

It should have been instinctual and I am sad that It was not.

Let me cry in to my Froot Loops.

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, jross said:

I don't know that Nick Lee beats Vazgen Tevanyan.

I think you're right.  Which means he is wrestling for Bronze against Aliyev (AZE).  Not a gimme.  A loss there puts him up against Amouzad (IRA) for the Oly wrestle-off.  Not a gimme.

One thing that Rivera gets right, as well as Amine mind you, is that they are so fundamentally solid.  They don't overreach and get themselves out of position too often.  It doesn't surprise me that Rivera made his run with the opponents he had along the way.  Lee extends himself quite often because he doesn't like to let off the gas tank - at all.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, bnwtwg said:

Pan Ams is going to have more expats than a Hong Kong finance convention.

Ya called it.

Also bumping this thread for some good discussion about who could have challenged for the spots

• Fire 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:51 AM, nhs67 said:

I think you're right.  Which means he is wrestling for Bronze against Aliyev (AZE).  Not a gimme.  A loss there puts him up against Amouzad (IRA) for the Oly wrestle-off.  Not a gimme.

One thing that Rivera gets right, as well as Amine mind you, is that they are so fundamentally solid.  They don't overreach and get themselves out of position too often.  It doesn't surprise me that Rivera made his run with the opponents he had along the way.  Lee extends himself quite often because he doesn't like to let off the gas tank - at all.

What do you think about this comment after his loss to Gomez? I honestly don't think he gassed. He gave up counters 

8 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

What do you think about this comment after his loss to Gomez? I honestly don't think he gassed. He gave up counters 

He extended himseld too far.  He went upper body against someone who he should not have.

Then it was the quicksand from there.

• Fire 2

This  "announcement" I've seen circulating around social media that USA, Puerto RIco, and Russia are all tied for the lead having 4 qualified in MFS is bothering me. While factually accurate, it's ridiculous and has absolutely no meaning.  
I know most of our loving fanbase doesn't know much. But when I see "Hey we're the only major wrestling country to have been through our qualifying tournament and we are tied with Puerto RIco yippee"  I'm sad.  and the comments are like "Russia better watch out, we're killin it, I didnt know Puerto Rico was soo good".... I want to say "Um uhhh , a lot to unpack here but don't feel like we have the time "  sigh, I hate marketing. 

Edited by Spladle08

19 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Ya called it.

Also bumping this thread for some good discussion about who could have challenged for the spots

Sorry for partying

i am an idiot on the internet

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He extended himseld too far.  He went upper body against someone who he should not have.

Then it was the quicksand from there.

He went double overs twice against him. Scored the first time we Gomez got hurt, but Gomez knew what to do the second time. 

I think you nailed it. 

21 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

He went double overs twice against him. Scored the first time we Gomez got hurt, but Gomez knew what to do the second time. 

I think you nailed it. 

he'd beaten him in that position in previous matches too, probably not in his nature to start chickening out of a position he'd been winning. Also he didn't lose cause he got 4'd, he lost because he got turned a bunch.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

he'd beaten him in that position in previous matches too, probably not in his nature to start chickening out of a position he'd been winning. Also he didn't lose cause he got 4'd, he lost because he got turned a bunch.

The 4 pt move I am referring to is when Gomez tied it up. So yeah, it's not why he lost, but the beginning of 14 unanswered points in under a minute.

I don't know what previous matches you are referring to between these two. It's a position we've seen Lee in many times. 

5 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

The 4 pt move I am referring to is when Gomez tied it up. So yeah, it's not why he lost, but the beginning of 14 unanswered points in under a minute.

I don't know what previous matches you are referring to between these two. It's a position we've seen Lee in many times. 

Do you agree that boiling it down to something like "he should have run from upper body ties" is overly simplistic? Cause that's my point, not claiming anyone has been as simplistic as my paraphrase either.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

The best defense is not always a good offense. Sometimes the best defense is hand fighting, holding center and slowing down. When you're up by four with ten seconds left in the period, why are you pushing so hard you fall on your face? No matter how easily you got the first three takedowns. 

If I recall correctly, Nick tried to go inside trip which hes very good at but Austin just was ready and pivoted it. I'm wondering if we have a bit of a peaking "issue" with our international team. I put issue in quotations because the last 4-5 years we have absolutely peaked when it mattered most at worlds/olympics. However, this instance, zain getting caught (that was likely more of a fluke) and if I recall correctly yianni lost to one of Indias backups like 6 weeks before the worlds he took second in. I'm not sure the proper way to fix this or if its simply our usual reps are not wrestling enough in competition until right around the majors.

Maybe Austin Gomez is just really good. Like, so good he wrestled at worlds last year. And was an age group world team member. And won 4 stop signs at Fargo. Big move guys can make big waves in short time in freestyle... or they can get teched/pinned in the blink of an eye. That's what makes it so exciting.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

On 11/8/2023 at 12:46 PM, jross said:

I don't know that Nick Lee beats Vazgen Tevanyan.

Didn’t Kizhan Clarke beat him?  Could we see a Lee/Clarke NCAA finals rematch at last chance?

• Fire 1