Nelson Brands tweets details on why his NCAA career is over

Jimmy Cinnabon

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No kidding.

You just don't get it...

You two should duel in Carver Hawkeye but sorry Lin-Manuel Miranda I'm placing my bet on Husker_Burr...Also why is it interviewed_at_Weehawken?  Shouldn't it be shot_in_weehawken or Mr.Weehawken_Gut_Shot?

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

You two should duel in Carver Hawkeye but sorry Lin-Manuel Miranda I'm placing my bet on Husker_Burr...Also why is it interviewed_at_Weehawken?  Shouldn't it be shot_in_weehawken or Mr.Weehawken_Gut_Shot?

Duels were a bit illegal  Saying you were going to a duel could have gotten one in a bit of hot water, but calling it a simple "interview" would not have drawn any undue attention.  

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Duels were a bit illegal  Saying you were going to a duel could have gotten one in a bit of hot water, but calling it a simple "interview" would not have drawn any undue attention.  

Nelson Brands should've had you on speed dial

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Nelson Brands should've had you on speed dial

Yes, unlike the Draft Kings shenanigans, every detail of that 7/11/1804 meeting had been worked out to guarantee plausible deniability for all the attendees.  The attending doctor even looked away from the duel, so he couldn't be an eyewitness.

14 hours ago, VakAttack said:

If you think any of the words I used in that post are big, I think that'll just about wrap things up, bucko.

And, the little nicknames you add to the end of your comments are cute, and that's it.  I can see you in the courtroom addressing the judge, "My client is innocent because he likes the colors black and yellow, bucko."

19 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

And, the little nicknames you add to the end of your comments are cute, and that's it.  I can see you in the courtroom addressing the judge, "My client is innocent because he likes the colors black and yellow, bucko."

Still not a thing I said, and an internet forum is not a court room.  I tried to keep the syllables to a minimum for you, chief.

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Still not a thing I said, and an internet forum is not a court room.  I tried to keep the syllables to a minimum for you, chief.

I could be wrong but it looks like either Ban hijacked Vak's account or Vak took the Ban B adult summer course.  Either way it's sad.  😞  Like I said, I could be wrong.  😉

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

I could be wrong but it looks like either Ban hijacked Vak's account or Vak took the Ban B adult summer course.  Either way it's sad.  😞  Like I said, I could be wrong.  😉

Holy smokes you are correct.  Vak has been MIA for awhile.  Explains everything

18 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

there are clearly two distinct arguments being made in this thread and they're getting mashed together

A) what the rules are

B) what you think they should be

(this is not directed at any one individual)

Are there people arguing about what the actual rule is?  If there are, count me out of that one.  I fully acknowledge that the rule exists and Nelson violated it.

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

7 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Holy smokes you are correct.  Vak has been MIA for awhile.  Explains everything

Damn, y'all

giphy.gif.28e8c40f2af7d41a2c7bcd85c4df1cf5.gif

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Are there people arguing about what the actual rule is?  If there are, count me out of that one.  I fully acknowledge that the rule exists and Nelson violated it.

Damn, y'all

giphy.gif.28e8c40f2af7d41a2c7bcd85c4df1cf5.gif

Ban would've replied with 3 paragraphs so clearly not the hijack.  Looks like Vak went the summer school route.  😉

• Haha 1

If a rule of law doesn't make sense, people will make a value judgment in which they compared the severity of the penalty combined with the likelihood of being caught with how they value their freedom to partake in activities which would break those laws.  

In this case, because I believe this crime was not egregious, I feel empathy that he has to face what I view is an overly heavy-handed penalty.  

If someone believes that this is an outrageous crime for which a year of lost eligibility is appropriate, I would be curious to hear their rationale.  The insider information piece has been covered by Vak already.  Anything else we're missing? 

Edited by flyingcement

25 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

If someone believes that this is an outrageous crime for which a year of lost eligibility is appropriate, I would be curious to hear their rationale.  The insider information piece has been covered by Vak already.  Anything else we're missing? 

i believe that, for breaking a known, existing rule in wrestling, the penalty should be loss of a year of eligibility. 

anything else is meaningless in ncaa wrestling. 

• Fire 1

TBD

49 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i believe that, for breaking a known, existing rule in wrestling, the penalty should be loss of a year of eligibility. 

anything else is meaningless in ncaa wrestling. 

Meaningless suspensions happen all the time. Take Jim Harbaugh's self-imposed one, for example. It is a naked attempt to make his suspension as meaningless as possible.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, ionel said:

The obsession continues...

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Ban would've replied with 3 paragraphs so clearly not the hijack.  Looks like Vak went the summer school route.  😉

The obsession REALLY continues...

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

19 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Meaningless suspensions happen all the time. Take Jim Harbaugh's self-imposed one, for example. It is a naked attempt to make his suspension as meaningless as possible.

1) i wouldn't characterize a HC in football missing 4 games 'meaningless'

2) regardless, just because there are some 'meaningless' penalties doesn't make the Iowa penalties wrong.

you're arguing like a god damn whiny democrat

TBD

12 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

1) i wouldn't characterize a HC in football missing 4 games 'meaningless'

2) regardless, just because there are some 'meaningless' penalties doesn't make the Iowa penalties wrong.

you're arguing like a god damn whiny democrat

Depends on which three games. The university chose the first three because they are the most meaningless, warm up, non-conference games. They did not want to wait on the NCAA to decide, because by then the games might actually be meaningful.

Agreed on point two. But also think the penalty chosen here is wrong.

I am a god damn whiny republican. You are the one arguing for regulation and big goverment. I am arguing for personal rights. Don't tread on me.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

lol.

well played.

however, i AM NOT asking for more oversite. i'm asking for personal accountability and accepting your clearly defined penalties. 

and btw - i promise you i'm about as big a Nelson Brands' fan that exists outside of the state of Iowa.

i think a ton of him. but he did the crime. and i think he understands that too. 

• Fire 2

TBD

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Depends on which three games. The university chose the first three because they are the most meaningless, warm up, non-conference games. They did not want to wait on the NCAA to decide, because by then the games might actually be meaningful.

Agreed on point two. But also think the penalty chosen here is wrong.

I am a god damn whiny republican. You are the one arguing for regulation and big goverment. I am arguing for personal rights. Don't tread on me.

Apologies, just trying to catch up and too lazy to go back and read through this thread.  On the one year ban for the wrestlers Is your argument that the rule is ridiculous, the penalty is too harsh and there should be no repercussions?  Same but the repercussions should be minimized?  

lol.
well played.
however, i AM NOT asking for more oversite. i'm asking for personal accountability and accepting your clearly defined penalties. 
and btw - i promise you i'm about as big a Nelson Brands' fan that exists outside of the state of Iowa.
i think a ton of him. but he did the crime. and i think he understands that too. 

Well, minus the “crime” part, but yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Apologies, just trying to catch up and too lazy to go back and read through this thread.  On the one year ban for the wrestlers Is your argument that the rule is ridiculous, the penalty is too harsh and there should be no repercussions?  Same but the repercussions should be minimized?  

The penalty is too harsh

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

lol.

well played.

I completely agree with what you're saying here, that Brands is accountable for his actions and should be penalized with a loss of eligibility.  I'd even say a year suspension is a very light penalty for gambling on your own university. 

Do you think Iowa or the coaching staff is responsible as well though? Clearly they failed to effectively communicate the consequences of gambling to their athletes. Do you think gambling is happening everywhere and Iowa/Iowa state simply were caught because of enforcement actions focused on Iowa, or are the Iowa schools doing a disservice to their athletes?