New blood for the US at 97kg

Pa in Taiwan

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I don't understand why Snyder is put in the same boat as Taylor and Dake.  If DT and KD were to retire now Snyder would have to compete at five more Worlds/Olympics just to get to the same age.  By that time he will have 14 Worlds/Olympics medals.

He is 27 years old.

I also want to put in to perspective something else.

Bruce Baumgartner?  One of our Mount Rushmore gents?  He is on there because of course he is an all-timer... but one thing to also consider is that he didn't get his 13th medal until he was 36 years old.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 hours ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Everyone calls either Snyder or Cox for the Olympics at 97kg. for the US. Fair enough. My curiosity is piqued, though. Who is going to come up and challenge these guys in the next cycle? To be honest, we just aren't performing at 97kg. internationally. Yes, Kyle Snyder won Worlds in 2022, when Sadulaev wasn't there. Now Sadulaev isn't even the man any more. Do we have any serious young challengers for the weight?Does the lack of a 220 pound weight class in NCAA wrestling make it more difficult to develop talent for 97kg. It seems that the jump from 197 to heavyweight makes guys from the former too light for 97kg and the latter too heavy. Can a guy like Aaron Brooks wrestle 97kg? He seems too small. He probably makes 86kg pretty easily. 

Names please.

• 2013 (17) - Jr World gold 
  • 2014 (18) - Jr World bronze
  • 2015 (19) - World gold
  • *2016 (20) - Olympic gold 
  • *2017 (21) - World gold
  • *2018 (22) - World silver
  • 2019 (23) - World bronze
  • 2020 (24) - Olympic silver
  • 2021 (25) - World silver
  • 2022 (26) - World gold
  • 2023 (27) - World bronze

*also won NCAA titles

Aside from Snyder earning world-level medals in every year since 2013, including five golds and three silvers, I agree with you. The US just isn't performing at 97kg. Time to put that old dog down. By the time the 2024 Olympics roll around, he'll be 28 and way past his prime. 

It's really hard to see why there aren't young guys knocking Snyder off. It's not as if you have to be a world-level gold medal contender to beat him.

I'm not sure you really thought this one through.

Edited by TylerDurden
  • Fire 5

10 hours ago, scribers said:

We just need to get Snyder away from Carl and he’ll be back to destroying the world!

Interesting, but where would you suggest SnyderMan go? I do think that Kyle and his team need to do something, maybe expand his workout partners. Add another coach that specializes in strategy, ( that’s if he doesn’t have one already), but if he does that will that rankle some feathers of Varner or Cael?

Honestly though, looking at the success of NLWC, I think it would be unwise for Kyle to move elsewhere. I just think that maybe bring in some fresh eyes or ideas for him even if it’s just for a consultation. 
Lastly I do sometimes wonder if SnyderMan would benefit if he underwent a strength and training program like Kyle Dake does. 

6 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Interesting, but where would you suggest SnyderMan go? I do think that Kyle and his team need to do something, maybe expand his workout partners. Add another coach that specializes in strategy, ( that’s if he doesn’t have one already), but if he does that will that rankle some feathers of Varner or Cael?

Honestly though, looking at the success of NLWC, I think it would be unwise for Kyle to move elsewhere. I just think that maybe bring in some fresh eyes or ideas for him even if it’s just for a consultation. 
Lastly I do sometimes wonder if SnyderMan would benefit if he underwent a strength and training program like Kyle Dake does. 

Snyder does look like he needs to pack on some more muscle and get some more horsepower. That is surely something that has been lacking in his game.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

• 2013 (17) - Jr World gold 
  • 2014 (18) - Jr World bronze
  • 2015 (19) - World gold
  • *2016 (20) - Olympic gold 
  • *2017 (21) - World gold
  • *2018 (22) - World silver
  • 2019 (23) - World bronze
  • 2020 (24) - Olympic silver
  • 2021 (25) - World silver
  • 2022 (26) - World gold
  • 2023 (27) - World bronze

*also won NCAA titles

The Olympics happened in 2021.  I know they are often called the 2020 Olympics because they were supposed to have happened in 2020.  If you want to call them the 2020 Olympics for that reason that's fine, but Snyder was 25 years old when he wrestled in them whether you call them the 2021 Olympics or the 2020 Olympics.  

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Never tOSU. Stop being cantankerous.

You could stop grasping at relevancy with the OSU bit.

Oklahoma State is OSU.  Respects should be paid to them - appropriately so.

As their Twitter eloquently puts it:
"34 NCAA Championships. 143 individual National Champions. No one - in any sport - has more."

Edit: Furthermore... even actual athletes and coaches from Ohio State say THE Ohio State University.  Almost as if the THE matters more - ergo tOSU.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

It's great to wake up in the morning and realize I'm still not the dumbest thread creator on this forum.

Enjoy this generation's Big Bruce.

You shouldn't have to wonder that in any case.  I still create threads occasionally.

41 minutes ago, ionel said:

Which do you prefer with morning coffee: a turdbiscut or cinnabon?     

Oof.  Tough one.  Who's turdbiscuit we talking here?

58 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Now you're just being turdbiscuity...

#HESPECT!

I've always likened Snyder to this generation's Dave Schulz - his early success coupled with his longevity, his interest in constant learning and improvement, his appreciation of the Russian wrestling experience. (No one else of his stature went to Dan Kolov this year.) 

He will have his ups and downs with a career this long, but I feel very confident in Snyder's chances through the 2028 cycle is he chooses to compete.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com