Stanford wrestling's future?

8 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Maybe Bakersfield drops to D2?

They certainly used to be competitive at that level:
__
The Cal State Bakersfield men's wrestling team appeared in the NCAA Division I Tournament thirty times, with their highest finish being 3rd place in the 1995–96 school year.
[22] Prior to Division I, the Roadrunners wrestling team won eight Division II titles, including five consecutive from 1979 to 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_State_Bakersfield_Roadrunners
__

Perhaps the overall university would not drop down to D2 though?   Might a single team at a D1 school be allowed to drop down, however?  

At any rate, I wonder if conference affiliation is a necessary condition for qualifying for the NCAA D1 tourney... Admittedly, though, having a post-season championship tourney to look forward to every year is motivating.   Getting to qualify for the NCAAs is, too...

13 hours ago, Idaho said:

Nope. You have to have 16 teams to stay at the D1 FBS level. Oregon state has 16. They cannot drop a sport. 

Don't SEC teams have maybe half as many men's teams, though?   Or if the 16 figure is across both genders, can we trust that Oregon State won't cut men's wrestling and add yet another women's team?   

I'm not trying to deflate our group's optimism regarding Oregon State.  But I remember how much it saddened us all when its in-state rival Oregon dropped our sport.  If there are vulnerabilities for Oregon State U. wrestling, we want to be proactive to try to satisfactorily address them ahead of time.     

We know if it's on the internet, it has to be true...  🙂

But seriously though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Bowl_Subdivision

"In order to retain FBS membership, schools must meet several requirements.
[10] FBS schools must have an average home attendance of at least 15,000 (over a rolling two-year period).[10] An FBS school must sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate teams (including football), with at least six men's or coeducational teams and at least eight all-female teams.[10] Across all sports, each FBS school must offer at least 200 athletic scholarships (or spend at least $4 million on athletic scholarships) per year, and FBS football teams must provide at least 90% of the maximum number of football scholarships (which is currently 85).["

9 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Or if the 16 figure is across both genders, can we trust that Oregon State won't cut men's wrestling and add yet another women's team?

There are more women's teams at OSU.... which related to that, creates somewhat of a reverse scenario to try to add women's wrestling. 

9 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

If there are vulnerabilities for Oregon State U. wrestling, we want to be proactive to try to satisfactorily address them ahead of time.     

Being an avid OSU fan and supporter, I appreciate that. I think the program is in a good spot right now to weather the conference storm.  If there are any legitimate concerns about the program, the board will hear about it 🙂 .  

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

18 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Maybe Bakersfield drops to D2?

That would definitely be a better option than dropping altogether.  The people at Bakersfield seem like hard working good people.... I am sure they are working twice as hard with the conference stuff that's going on. It's good to see Stephen Neal still working to support that program. 

• Fire 3

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

The people at Bakersfield seem like hard working good people

One of Bakersfield's most famous transplants often spoke to that Bakersfield work ethic. 

• Fire 2

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

You've asked a very interesting question.  FWIW, I see that their three current coaches have apparently stayed at Stanford:

https://gostanford.com/sports/wrestling/coaches

Might it be best to keep the coaching staff -as is- this wrestling season?  Then if they shine, well... More power to 'em.   If not, at least they'll have gotten their opportunity.   And the student athletes will get to experience some continuity amidst this time of coaching and conference-affiliation fluctuation...    

That said, if there's a fantastic candidate lurking who wants to get started ASAP, that's hard to overlook.   But who could possibly be that wonderful who is available now that Coach Koll has returned to his alma mater?   Stanford is a special place.   Personally, I think I'd go for keeping the existing staff intact.   How about the rest of you?

On 9/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

You've asked a very interesting question.  FWIW, I see that their three current coaches have apparently stayed at Stanford:

https://gostanford.com/sports/wrestling/coaches

Might it be best to keep the coaching staff -as is- this wrestling season?  Then if they shine, well... More power to 'em.   If not, at least they'll have gotten their opportunity.   And the student athletes will get to experience some continuity amidst this time of coaching and conference-affiliation fluctuation...    

That said, if there's a fantastic candidate lurking who wants to get started ASAP, that's hard to overlook.   But who could possibly be that wonderful who is available now that Coach Koll has returned to his alma mater?   Stanford is a special place.   Personally, I think I'd go for keeping the existing staff intact.   How about the rest of you?

I agree that keeping the coaching staff intact makes the most sense.  I don't see how they will be able to recruit a top candidate for the job given the financial uncertainty of the athletic department.  However, if the University is 100%  sure that it is committed to the wrestling program being a part of its future (even with the 16 million/year loss in revenue), then it could make sense to try to hire somebody and try to keep some of the recruits/athletes. I just can't imagine that they know what Stanford athletics will be 12 months from now. 

On 9/3/2023 at 11:14 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

They certainly used to be competitive at that level:
__
The Cal State Bakersfield men's wrestling team appeared in the NCAA Division I Tournament thirty times, with their highest finish being 3rd place in the 1995–96 school year.
[22] Prior to Division I, the Roadrunners wrestling team won eight Division II titles, including five consecutive from 1979 to 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_State_Bakersfield_Roadrunners
__

wow, I had no idea they ever got a trophy. We know the list of schools to win the tournament is super limited , but a graphic of all the teams to get a trophy over the last 50 years would be very interesting to me.

6 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

wow, I had no idea they ever got a trophy. We know the list of schools to win the tournament is super limited , but a graphic of all the teams to get a trophy over the last 50 years would be very interesting to me.

b16e593f01d098cee8845a07df9871a4.jpg

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

On 9/10/2023 at 5:42 AM, juniorvarsity said:

Over the last 89 tournaments (all of them):

image.thumb.png.ac3c5fb56a57ae92d630d33780e4ecb6.png

Twelve teams have won a title

Nineteen teams have finished runner-up

Twenty two teams have placed third

Thirty six teams have placed fourth

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Wonder if any of those late ‘70s/early 80s CS Bakersfield would’ve broken into top 4 if they were eligible in team race? Not so sure about that but some top 10 type scores I’m guessing. Clarion Wade Schalles era I think had a team that would’ve placed 3rd if eligible in team race. 

3 minutes ago, 11986 said:

Wonder if any of those late ‘70s/early 80s CS Bakersfield would’ve broken into top 4 if they were eligible in team race? Not so sure about that but some top 10 type scores I’m guessing. Clarion Wade Schalles era I think had a team that would’ve placed 3rd if eligible in team race. 

In 1973, the first year D2 teams could no longer score team points in the D1 tourney, Clarion would have scored 54.5 points, which would have been good enough for fourth, and knocked BYU off the list altogether.

And to answer the first part would require hand scoring the D2 teams. Interested?

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

47 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

decision has been made. it's a HC from another program.

i don't want to say anything specific b/c i don't know if the wrestlers on the program he is leaving know yet.

but it should be released in a day or two i'd think. 

Ayers

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Wow.  Good for Standford. 

I don't know any of the details but that seems like quite a coup to get Ayers to leave the east coast. Doesn't his daughter wrestle on Princeton's club?

Ayres not Ayers. There was also a Chris Ayers that wrestled for Blair at around the same weight at the same time who went to Brown. Both from around Newton, NJ.

And yes, she does.

• Fire 2