Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

6 hours ago, ugarles said:

whoops. i thought he had two left. Given the covid year and maybe a med-shirt maybe he has 2 left? idk. i take your point, though.

The year he was hurt was the “free year.” Maybe if Josh Humphreys gets a medical then he might be able to…

11 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

I’ll also throw in that he said in his intro press conference that before any of this happened, he and his wife were looking for a home in North Carolina once he retired. He basically said Palo Alto is too expensive to live after retirement unless you’re a tech employee. 

It seems like NC is a popular place to wind down your career and retire (Mack Brown is doing the exact same thing with the football program). Probably because you have beaches, mountains, and all 4 seasons of weather in one state (not always hot and not always cold). 

This is misleading, since Stanford provides very affordable houses to purchase for their faculty.  I'm assuming the same is true for their head wrestling coach that they spent a decent amount of money to bring in. He even said in the interview that the NC house was going to be their second home, implying that they did have a home in the Bay Area.

Edited by billyhoyle

21 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

This is misleading, since Stanford provides very affordable houses to purchase for their faculty.  I'm assuming the same is true for their head wrestling coach that they spent a decent amount of money to bring in. He even said in the interview that the NC house was going to be their second home, implying that they did have a home in the Bay Area.

rob koll is serious about what he needs to be serious about but also jokes around a lot. i think he was being tongue in cheek about the cost of living in palo alto. 

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Billy, you're so far off it's not funny.

and that's all i'll say about that. 

your first sentence is "it's misleading" and then you go on to produce absolutely nothing but speculation. 

What about what I said is off?  Stanford has multiple programs that help you purchase housing if you are an employee under certain job titles.  I believe one is a low-interest/interest free loan and another is buying a house at a subsidized price that you are required to sell back to the university (it's basically on-campus houses that are owned by the university and "sold" to employees, who then have to sell them back at a similar price to the purchase price). 

Here is the link to what they offer-it's very generous:

https://fsh.stanford.edu/about-us#:~:text=Our office administers Stanford's housing,and homes at reduced rents.

I'm sure he had many reasons to leave after two years, but lack of housing couldn't have been one of them. 

Edited by billyhoyle

2 hours ago, ugarles said:

rob koll is serious about what he needs to be serious about but also jokes around a lot. i think he was being tongue in cheek about the cost of living in palo alto. 

Yeah-it did sound tongue in cheek. I meant that taking that statement as the reason for the move doesn't make sense given what Stanford offers to its faculty/staff..not that he was purposefully trying to mislead anyone. 

I think it makes a ton of sense to leave Stanford athletics-They are about to get 15 million less per year with the ACC TV deal compared to what they were getting with the Pac 12.  And in 2024 they have to travel to wrestle ACC teams?  The situation is a complete mess, and the writing has been on the wall since the USC/UCLA announcement. 

On 8/31/2023 at 3:46 PM, RegularStalling said:

Koll never wanted to be at Stanford. It was a paycheck until he found something he liked better. Hope the program/next staff can retain most of its recruits and continue regaining traction after almost being dropped.

I don't believe this for a second. Stanford Athletics is in a very different place today compared to when he was hired. 

Edited by billyhoyle

On 9/2/2023 at 3:21 AM, billyhoyle said:

The thing that stuck out to me about that interview was when he said something like “now that’s an AD I want to work for.”

That to me sounded like a shot at Stanford AD Bernard Muir.  I mean, how does that dude still have a job after the fiasco of cutting all those sports then bringing them back, AND the Varsity Blues scandal??

• Fire 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:21 AM, billyhoyle said:

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

What about what I said is off?  Stanford has multiple programs that help you purchase housing if you are an employee under certain job titles.  I believe one is a low-interest/interest free loan and another is buying a house at a subsidized price that you are required to sell back to the university (it's basically on-campus houses that are owned by the university and "sold" to employees, who then have to sell them back at a similar price to the purchase price). 

Here is the link to what they offer-it's very generous:

https://fsh.stanford.edu/about-us#:~:text=Our office administers Stanford's housing,and homes at reduced rents.

I'm sure he had many reasons to leave after two years, but lack of housing couldn't have been one of them. 

Well it doesn't say anything about coaching staff.  But let's say previous location you had a $500k house with a 3.25% loan and now you have to purchase a $2M house but get a 0% loan, how do monthly payments compare?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well it doesn't say anything about coaching staff.  But let's say previous location you had a $500k house with a 3.25% loan and now you have to purchase a $2M house but get a 0% loan, how do monthly payments compare?  

Most people take the latter option because you end up making more money when you sell the house. But they do offer below market housing as well to those who don’t want higher monthly payments, which looks a lot like the first option (you just can’t really sell it for a profit when you leave).

What makes more sense: 

1. That he isn’t considered important enough staff to have access to the subsidized housing program and somebody as smart as Rob Koll wouldn’t have looked into housing prices before making the move to make sure it works.

2. Some other reason is driving this decision: maybe the fact that Stanford athletics is in complete turmoil and UNC isn’t a bad escape route given his connection to the Uni and the great job Coleman Scott has done. 

Edited by billyhoyle

9 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Yeah-it did sound tongue in cheek. I meant that taking that statement as the reason for the move doesn't make sense given what Stanford offers to its faculty/staff..not that he was purposefully trying to mislead anyone. 

I think it makes a ton of sense to leave Stanford athletics-They are about to get 15 million less per year with the ACC TV deal compared to what they were getting with the Pac 12.  And in 2024 they have to travel to wrestle ACC teams?  The situation is a complete mess, and the writing has been on the wall since the USC/UCLA announcement. 

I don't believe this for a second. Stanford Athletics is in a very different place today compared to when he was hired. 

Stanford was fresh off of being dropped. It doesn’t get much worse than that. They joined the ACC a day and half later and I’m sure he was privy to that. 

3 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Most people take the latter option because you end up making more money when you sell the house. But they do offer below market housing as well to those who don’t want higher monthly payments, which looks a lot like the first option (you just can’t really sell it for a profit when you leave).

Lol no.  That’s $2,700 more a month on principal alone and $300K more down payment required for 20% unless the down payment is subsidized too, and that’s not counting likely higher insurance and taxes too.

But I’d agree that cost of living probably isn’t the determining factor in his decision

Just listened to his Bader show interview, he addressed several things that have been brought up here or other things that I thought were interesting:

1.  Said Ramos was one of the first people to call him when Coleman Scott said he was leaving.  So maybe he won’t be too upset about not getting the job…

2. Commented on the high cost of living in Palo Alto. The Stanford housing discount or whatever is only available to faculty, and is still expensive.  Called out people online thinking they know everything, maybe he reads here? Said he lived in a 1,000 square foot townhouse.  Later mentioned the RTC paid $175K per year for housing for the coaches

3. Sounds like he plans to bring some of the Stanford coaches to UNC, but also mentioned he seemed to recommend Enock Francois to be the HC at Stanford

4. Said harder to get kids admitted to Stanford than Cornell.  Thinks UNC is best of all worlds in terms of being a good academic school but still being favorable to getting athletes accepted

5. Rob Koll gets a lot of text messages

• Fire 2

On 9/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, 1032004 said:

Just listened to his Bader show interview, he addressed several things that have been brought up here or other things that I thought were interesting:

1.  Said Ramos was one of the first people to call him when Coleman Scott said he was leaving.  So maybe he won’t be too upset about not getting the job…

2. Commented on the high cost of living in Palo Alto. The Stanford housing discount or whatever is only available to faculty, and is still expensive.  Called out people online thinking they know everything, maybe he reads here? Said he lived in a 1,000 square foot townhouse.  Later mentioned the RTC paid $175K per year for housing for the coaches

3. Sounds like he plans to bring some of the Stanford coaches to UNC, but also mentioned he seemed to recommend Enock Francois to be the HC at Stanford

4. Said harder to get kids admitted to Stanford than Cornell.  Thinks UNC is best of all worlds in terms of being a good academic school but still being favorable to getting athletes accepted

5. Rob Koll gets a lot of text messages

Agreed on the texts. Lots of dings haha

45 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Get in the portal. Finish the semester...:classic_unsure:

The timing is definitely messed up for the athletes . Maybe Princeton will stop the bleeding and hire Dubuque interim for the year. If not I have a feeling we see another HC take Princeton in Sept which isn't ideal

17 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Still waiting to see if any kids from UNC, Princeton, or Stanford hit the portal. They have a limited time window once the head coach leaves.

Why would anyone smart enough to get into Princeton or Stanford wish to transfer?  Was Koll the actual on-mat coach at Stanford, such that a wrestler at Stanford wouldn't progress as much in his training under the other Stanford coaches or Ayres himself?  Why would Koll coming to UNC drive anyone away from UNC?

When Koll left Cornell, a number of recruits followed him to Stanford (a school upgrade, for sure).  Only one of those recruits (Cardenas) was likely going to break into the Cornell starting lineup, so those recruits made a smart choice.

As fine an institution as, say, Iowa or Penn State is, each isn't exactly Stanford or Princeton.

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Why would anyone smart enough to get into Princeton or Stanford wish to transfer?  Was Koll the actual on-mat coach at Stanford, such that a wrestler at Stanford wouldn't progress as much in his training under the other Stanford coaches or Ayres himself?  Why would Koll coming to UNC drive anyone away from UNC?

When Koll left Cornell, a number of recruits followed him to Stanford (a school upgrade, for sure).  Only one of those recruits (Cardenas) was likely going to break into the Cornell starting lineup, so those recruits made a smart choice.

As fine an institution as, say, Iowa or Penn State is, each isn't exactly Stanford or Princeton.

Without knowing who the coach will be I could see Stanford or Princeton guys going to to Cornell or Penn and getting similar academics (sans the Cornell Ag school).  Although I can’t remember the rules for transferring into Ivies…

Agree that I don’t see why anyone would leave UNC, unless maybe they were really close with Scott.  I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Stanford guys follow Koll to UNC.  Despite the lesser academic pedigree I know Koll talks a lot about helping to get guys jobs which is really all that matters

5 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

I'm curious what degrees the starting athletes are getting - from what I've seen based on watching the NCAA tourney, most of the successful wrestlers are getting Recreation Management, Communications, Psych, or Sports Management degrees. Every once in a while you'll see a guy who gets an Engineering degree like Adam Coon (impressive), but seems to be the exception rather than the norm. I know those universities mentioned are prestigious, but does a Sports Management degree from Stanford really stand out more than other schools? 

7 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Ask Joey McKenna

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Ask Joey McKenna

I think Joey McKenna had a really solid connection in an extremely lucrative business.  I don't think his own father really cared if he had a degree from Stanford or Ohio State.  I don't think Stanford had a construction management degree, either.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken