USC.UCLA,OREGON,and Washington All in the Big Ten. Any chance they restart their wrestling programs.

Paul158

2 minutes ago, TexRef said:

If there was a way to "accessorize" wrestling with more shit Nike could sell, then they would support wrestling more. Let's face it, wristbands, batting gloves, and a sliding glove or whatever they call it, makes more money than a single pair of wrestling shoes. 

If NIKE marketed the singlet aggressively just think of all the folks (guys & gals) showing up at the beach in a single, mowing the lawn in a singlet, etc etc ... just do it!

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Chatted the other day with a friend who is very close to the Oregon situation. I referenced the ideas in this thread, specifically about the return of wrestling at UO... he laughed really hard at the notion that anyone beyond this board and the wrestling community in the state are even considering it.

Because?

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Chatted the other day with a friend who is very close to the Oregon situation. I referenced the ideas in this thread, specifically about the return of wrestling at UO... he laughed really hard at the notion that anyone beyond this board and the wrestling community in the state are even considering it.

The "because" is that bringing back wrestling is another opportunity for Oregon State to beat OU and they don't want that! They spent a ton of money to add baseball (right after Oregon State won its 2nd CWS) and that hasn't amounted to much. I can imagine a bunch of people in Eugene saying "If those Aggies can win a CWS title, we can too!" 

• Fire 2

53 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Phil Knight could sneeze and fund a program at Oregon. Must not be any interest.

Side note: the track on the Nike campus is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need another Greg Hatcher (Arkansas) . He bought mats and uniforms for 65 high schools  in Arkansas. He also bought mats and uniforms and for 13 colleges. To start new wrestling. He paid for the wrestling facility at my sons college. He also donated 1.4 million to create the Wrestling Center at the Univ. of Arkansas Little Rock. These are all brand new programs.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Phil Knight could sneeze and fund a program at Oregon. Must not be any interest.

Side note: the track on the Nike campus is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The market for running shoes is larger than the market for wrestling shoes. 

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

The market for running shoes is larger than the market for wrestling shoes. 

Profit margin for baseball cleats has to be lower considering the metallurgy required though

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, Paul158 said:

We need another Greg Hatcher (Arkansas) . He bought mats and uniforms for 65 high schools  in Arkansas. He also bought mats and uniforms and for 13 colleges. To start new wrestling. He paid for the wrestling facility at my sons college. He also donated 1.4 million to create the Wrestling Center at the Univ. of Arkansas Little Rock. These are all brand new programs.

It's worth asking him if there are more folks like him anywhere, and if so... how to find (or at least cultivate) them.  

• Fire 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:55 PM, ionel said:

Taking a tour, oldest son works there now.

BTW: had coffee with Johnson this morning, told him I was disappointed there was no building with his name.  Nike wrestling shoes were crap when Illinois first started using them, he made a lot of suggestions to improve the shoe.

Until the Inflicts(all black with gold swoosh) came around, Nikes weren't anything to write home about. Now, early gens go for hundreds. Wish I held on to a pair. 

• Fire 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:08 AM, ionel said:

If NIKE marketed the singlet aggressively just think of all the folks (guys & gals) showing up at the beach in a single, mowing the lawn in a singlet, etc etc ... just do it!

Nate Engel at Oregon State has cornered the market on that.... his twin boys wear their wrestling singles everywhere.... and I mean everywhere. It's hilarious. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐