Where would 3x Steveson rank?

Let's play at some mental gymnastics this morning. Perhaps even a mental back flip.

Where would you rank Gable Steveson's career among three-timers?

I am going to assume that if he wrestles this year, and wherever that may be, he will replicate his 2022 season. That means 17-0, another title, and another Hodge.

Tangent 1
And another boots on the mat? God, I hope not.  I hope he has a sense of humor and figures out a way to lampoon his premature (in this scenario) "look at me"  move

Let's start by updating my table derived from wrestlestat.com data:

image.png.b92992f61de9f1f0dd0ce15d01d097ba.png

Steveson suffers from low usage. With only 97 projected wins he is on the low end of the group. But I am not sure how much that matters in the current age of wrestling less. But with only 2 losses (and unlikely to see a third) he is the leader in the clubhouse here.

Tangent 2
Does Anthony Cassar pop a bottle of champagne in a reverse 1972 Miami Dolphins celebration move every time Steveson wins another title? "That's right. I beat that guy. Twice. And no one gets a third shot at the title."

Even though Steveson is not a pinfaller, he has a very respectable bonus rate driven by a lot of majors. But the guys he is pinning and majoring are not the highest ranked. However, he does tech fall some very tough dudes.

Tangent 3
Does it help Steveson's case for dominance that he never has any problem with Mason Parris and the one year he left Parris goes undefeated and wins he Hodge?

Based on numbers alone Steveson would rank somewhere around fourth best of the wrestlestat era (plus Dieringer's freshman year) behind the three headed Lion monster of Nolf, Nickal, and Retherford:

image.png.bdab863f40a06bfc51cbbfbdeb2c08e3.png

Every Heard of the Hodge Trophy?

But in my world Steveson has three Hodges and those three only share three among them. That has to count for something. And probably a lot. But is it enough to say he is the best three timer of the wrestlestat era?

All That Glitters is Gold

Before you answer that question let me tell you a story about 13 seconds in Tokyo. Can you still hear John Smith saying "fake, snap, fake, snap, fake, snap"?

So...........?
So we have a three timer who is also a three time (two and a half?) Hodge winner, one time Olympic Gold Medalist who was quiet dominant in folk. I have to put him at the top. But wait, what did Mars Blackmon say? Oh, yeah, "It's the shoes." That top ranking is now contingent. I going to require an act of contrition for the shoes on the mat thing if he wants to keep that ranking.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

26 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

what did Mars Blackmon say? Oh, yeah, "It's the shoes." That top ranking is now contingent. I going to require an act of contrition for the shoes on the mat thing

Any post that includes Mars Blackmon and Catholic contrition rites on the same line is genius level work.  Oh yeah, and all that analysis, data, details, etc. That was cool too.

• Fire 2

At the time I found his whole retirement tour kind of odd. Where does he slot....that is a tough one for me. He is clearly dominant but in his own way. I do think he could be a pinner but he doesn't seem interested in doing so. I am not sure why that is but it seems to be. I wonder if was because there was never any team goals for him. I think all of your three timers you could throw a blanket over they are that close.

• Fire 2

Pinfall is the preferred nomenclature here, dude.

Gable would be Top 10 for sure imo. 2 career losses to 1 person. 

1 career loss at NCAAs. 3-1-1-1

assuming he wrestles enough bouts, one of just a couple 2x Hodge winners.

this won't be looked at fondly, but i just don't gaf about the era of only three years of eligibility. 

TBD

36 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

"Even though Steveson is not a pinfaller"

Pinner. He doesn't pin opponents. "pinfall" is the girlyman term for those who don't appreciate wrestling.

Now now ... girlymen are welcome on these hear forums ... we embrace the diversity.  🙂

Honestly, and I'm no Penn State fan, judging by the eye test I think Zain was more dominant than Gable in college.  The weight classes he wrestled in are also much more competitive than heavyweight and I think that should also count for something.  Gable lost twice to Cassar who was good but Zain lost twice to Logan Steiber and you can't compare Cassar and Steiber

• Fire 2

Pinfall is the preferred nomenclature here, dude.
Gable would be Top 10 for sure imo. 2 career losses to 1 person. 
1 career loss at NCAAs. 3-1-1-1
assuming he wrestles enough bouts, one of just a couple 2x Hodge winners.
this won't be looked at fondly, but i just don't gaf about the era of only three years of eligibility. 

If you’re Team Pinfall, you’re on Team Pyles. That’s the reality of the situation.
  • Haha 3

Insert catchy tagline here. 

Honestly, and I'm no Penn State fan, judging by the eye test I think Zain was more dominant than Gable in college.  The weight classes he wrestled in are also much more competitive than heavyweight and I think that should also count for something.  Gable lost twice to Cassar who was good but Zain lost twice to Logan Steiber and you can't compare Cassar and Steiber

Who was Zain’s other loss to as a true freshman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Speaking of correctness, your sig was "Don't work here no more ... either. " Is that still correct?

Twas my tagline on TheMat when people seemed to believe I still worked at USAW almost a decade after I left when people went off the reservation on various forum posts. I stopped working at the NWCA full-time and operating InterMat in 2008, so it plays with the fact I don't work here either. It's got a double negative, but it's not factually incorrect. 

Insert catchy tagline here.