Morgan State

flyingcement

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Princeton’s Jake Marsh will be a grad student at Morgan State next year and I believe has a year of of eligibility left. It would be fun to see Morgan State vs Princeton in a dual meet.

Safe to assume that Marsh got the idea to go there because he was training with Quincy and Kenny will be coach? 

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Safe to assume that Marsh got the idea to go there because he was training with Quincy and Kenny will be coach? 

Yea Kenny Monday is the head coach , they are D1 as of this upcoming seasons ..said at ncaas they have 17 recruits committed , plus the marsh transfer and are lookin to bring in another 20 guys before the season starts and have had tons of guys contacting him wanting to be part of it 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea Kenny Monday is the head coach , they are D1 as of this upcoming seasons ..said at ncaas they have 17 recruits committed , plus the marsh transfer and are lookin to bring in another 20 guys before the season starts and have had tons of guys contacting him wanting to be part of it 

Do you know which conference they will be qualifying through?

A Cornell recruit from Virginia, Kingsley Menifee, shifted his commitment to Morgan State. Based on HS I don't think he'd have gotten much run at Cornell so I'm happy for him and hope he can succeed. UNLIKE ANY OF THE TURNCOATS WHO LEFT FOR STANFORD!

• Fire 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 2:46 PM, ugarles said:

A Cornell recruit from Virginia, Kingsley Menifee, shifted his commitment to Morgan State. Based on HS I don't think he'd have gotten much run at Cornell so I'm happy for him and hope he can succeed. UNLIKE ANY OF THE TURNCOATS WHO LEFT FOR STANFORD!

Keeping wrestling alive at Stanford helps wrestling nationwide, in my humble opinion.  Men's gymnastics decayed into becoming a mere regional sport, and it hasn't been good for the remaining teams.    

Morgan State schedule: https://morganstatebears.com/sports/wrestling/schedule

Challenging schedule to be sure including Princeton in mid-January.

A few years ago when UNC wrestled Princeton at Jadwin, Quincy and Kennedy Monday were designated captains and meet at the center of the mat for the coin toss. It was a memorable brotherly moment. Perhaps we’ll see coaches Monday vs Monday for a ceremonial handshake.

The Morgan State schedule does not indicate a conference tournament for the upcoming season but if they do join the EIWA it would make even 16 man brackets.

• Fire 1

A few years ago when UNC wrestled Princeton at Jadwin, Quincy and Kennedy Monday were designated captains and meet at the center of the mat for the coin toss. It was a memorable brotherly moment. Perhaps we’ll see coaches Monday vs Monday for a ceremonial handshake.
The Morgan State schedule does not indicate a conference tournament for the upcoming season but if they do join the EIWA it would make even 16 man brackets.

It would actually make the EIWA 18 teams …
  • Haha 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 hours ago, Gambatte said:

I like that Kenny Monday isn't messing around in year one. That's a challenging slate for a first-year program, especially one that's almost entirely freshman. I'll be rooting for Morgan State to have success. 

• Fire 1

God bless the ambition - you do want to have a few high profile events to capitalize on the attention the program will have in its first season - but this seems a bit much for a team that will likely finish 18th at the EIWAs if they are admitted to the conference this year.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

25 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

God bless the ambition - you do want to have a few high profile events to capitalize on the attention the program will have in its first season - but this seems a bit much for a team that will likely finish 18th at the EIWAs if they are admitted to the conference this year.

no shot against Sacred Heart even?

56 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

It’s not about this year. It’s about attracting high level recruits who want a bigger schedule than what they’ll get at sacred heart or Davidson

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

It’s not about this year. It’s about attracting high level recruits who want a bigger schedule than what they’ll get at sacred heart or Davidson

I know it's not about this year.

But, improvement typically happens in stages. Take a step up, get better recruits, take another step up, etc.

Hopefully there are some smaller opens not listed on this schedule where the current team can perform and gather confidence so that they are as prepared as possible for Year 2 and more attractive to future recruits. 

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

no shot against Sacred Heart even?

Wrestlestat has them 81st of 81 in D1 with a starting lineup including one senior, one sophomore and eight freshmen.

I wish them luck, but this year is going to be a struggle. As I noted in the previous post, I hope there are smaller opens on the schedule where their kids can pick up some wins and confidence.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

15 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Wrestlestat has them 81st of 81 in D1 with a starting lineup including one senior, one sophomore and eight freshmen.

I wish them luck, but this year is going to be a struggle. As I noted in the previous post, I hope there are smaller opens on the schedule where their kids can pick up some wins and confidence.

To be fair doesn’t wrestlestat notoriously under-rate freshmen?  Although of course I have no idea how highly touted any of the freshmen are, can’t seem to find any articles on their recruiting class.

It does seem like they’d probably be underdogs against Sacred Heart, who are #77.  I was kinda surprised Duke was #79.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

To be fair doesn’t wrestlestat notoriously under-rate freshmen?  Although of course I have no idea how highly touted any of the freshmen are, can’t seem to find any articles on their recruiting class.

It does seem like they’d probably be underdogs against Sacred Heart, who are #77.  I was kinda surprised Duke was #79.

Looking at dukes roster on wrestlestat, they only have 2 seniors , both with limited to no starting experience and the best 2 returning guys were 8-13 and 12-17 last year and they have one intriguing prospect , Aiden Wallace from Bergen catholic but it looks like he’s redshirting …it’s going to be a very long year for duke , they were the 80th dual team out of 80 last year and it’s looking like more of the same