Hodge Finalists announced

Jimmy Cinnabon

If they have as much trouble deciding who wins as they did who ought to be a finalist, maybe we'll have 7 co-champions.  I don't know who gets left out...

My official prediction, co-champions Yianni and Parris.  But as some of you know, I'm pretty much always wrong about such things.

20 hours ago, ionel said:

Yeah I prob picked the wrong HWT to say is slow.  However, I'm still willing to make an avatar bet with Fly or any Spud poster that Alirez could beat him at 100 to 400 m right now, problem is no way to prove it.  But if you or Fly are willing to take the bet and concede, I'm willing to find a good image.   🙂

My money is on Mason FWIW.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

My money is on Mason FWIW.

Ok, they running today? Or is this in 12 months after Parris gets done dominating as an Edge for the Maize and Blue and he's getting ready to run a 40 for the combine?

Because they can shave a couple tenths off that time. His 4.76 could become a 4.56 real easily!

Luke Van Ness, 6'5 275 LB from Iowa, played a 5 tech and played OLBer, I'm pretty sure he just ran a 4.58 or something.  I could see Parris doing that. 

Parris is the type of guy you use a 7th round pick on...if you have 4-5(as my team generally does). 

I could see him wrecking OTs with those hands and that speed...plus, I'm guessing he can bend off that edge. 

Kerkvliet was my favorite to go from Wrestling to Football(hypothetically)...but my God...just listening to him in his post-match interview after the Semis, Bobby Boucher makes him look like a genius. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

You didn't include raw numbers.  Are the numbers supposed to be rank?  If so, isn't there an error in the falls column?  Parris is 1, Alirez is 2, there is no 3, then you have 2 wrestlers ranked 4 (O'Connor and O'Toole).  Shouldn't O'Toole and O'Connor both be ranked 3 and not 4?

I didn't include raw numbers to simply it. That's their rank in those categories. The O'Toole/O'Connor thing you're correct on. Doesn't change their placement or average. I also noted what the numbers mean below the chart. 

Maybe I'll whip another one up, removing wins, correcting the falls rank and using raw data. It's just a lot to decipher when you have numbers that mean one thing in one column and don't mean the same in another. 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

46 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

I didn't include raw numbers to simply it. That's their rank in those categories. The O'Toole/O'Connor thing you're correct on. Doesn't change their placement or average. I also noted what the numbers mean below the chart. 

Maybe I'll whip another one up, removing wins, correcting the falls rank and using raw data. It's just a lot to decipher when you have numbers that mean one thing in one column and don't mean the same in another. 

Nah. You got it correct. Parris should win. 

It's not the OW or who we think is the best wrestler.  It's the Hodge Trophy.  Parris was the most dominant, most pins, and did it in what may have been one of the two toughest weight classes. If Parris doesn't win then it's not really the Hodge rather just a makeshift OW.  

• Fire 4

Austin O'Connor has really helped keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the South.   That's worth some consideration, IMHO.

For that matter, UNC: Chapel Hill,  NC State & Duke help keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the South.  It's much appreciated.   Their presence & prosperity help keep our sport from becoming a mere "regional" sport, like men's gymnastics has reportedly become. 

Clemson used to be part of the frontier but we lost the Tigers' D1 program circa 1995. 

https://ncwa.net/teams/clem

Title IX was, indeed, cited as a reason.   But laws have since changed, arguably favorably for wrestling too.   Of potential interest:

That said, my vote's for Austin O'Connor.  Not to knock the other folks at all, though.   

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Austin O'Connor has really helped keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the South.   That's worth some consideration, IMHO.

For that matter, UNC: Chapel Hill,  NC State & Duke help keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the South.  It's much appreciated.   Their presence & prosperity help keep our sport from becoming a mere "regional" sport, like men's gymnastics has reportedly become. 

Clemson used to be part of the frontier but we lost the Tigers' D1 program circa 1995. 

https://ncwa.net/teams/clem

Title IX was, indeed, cited as a reason.   But laws have since changed, arguably favorably for wrestling too.   Of potential interest:

That said, my vote's for Austin O'Connor.  Not to knock the other folks at all, though.   

Sigh, you are really going to double down on this 

• Fire 1

Regarding the fan vote, some of my friends who are not wrestling fans decided to watch this year's NCAA finals.  Both guys thought:

1) Nino Bonaccorsi was super likeable 

2) 133 was the most entertaining and impressive wrestling to them as amateurs (the quickness and craftiness)

• Fire 2