Better 4-timer: Spencer Lee or Kyle Dake?

Jimmy Cinnabon

14 hours ago, headshuck said:

Lee when he wins a title at 133, 141 and 149 and takes out a returning champ to close it out.

I don't know why, but this just illustrates/emphasizes just how insane Kyles run was...Lee doing this and then ending with a NCAA championship over Yianni?  Could you imagine?

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

5 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

He beat Suriano, was 1-1 against NaTo, and 0-2 against Seabass.

Spencer wasn't 0-2 vs Seabass, he was 2-2.

• 02/04/18 - W DEC 7-4
  • 03/03/18 W MD 12 - 0
  • 12/29/18 L DEC 7-3 
  • 03/09/19 L SV-1 6-4

He was also 2-1 vs NaTo

• 01/21/18 W DEC 3-2
  • 03/03/18 L DEC 2 - 1
  • 03/15/18 W FALL 6:05
Edited by Jamie_Taco
  • Fire 4

10 hours ago, dragit said:

As I've argued in lots of these threads, I've got Dake as my best ever because no redshirt (won a title nine months after being a high school student), beat three different champs and a terrific wrestler (2x finalist, probably should have been 3x but for refs) in his finals, well in control of all his NCAA matches, went up a weight and went 3-0 against the defending and future Hodge winner, etc.  Though I've never understood why the usual first argument people make is the 4 weight classes in 4 years.  It's a nice nugget, but it's more trivia than substance; he won four championships against people who weighed the same, it's not like he made weight at 141 the day he beat Taylor.  

100% this.  Boxers used to go up in weight class without gaining weight to have multiple belts at the same time (Sugar Ray Leonard against Hagler for one notable example). Maybe there is some reflex memory is us old guys brains that automatically thinks going up in weight class is impressive 

• Fire 2

11 minutes ago, Jim L said:

100% this.  Boxers used to go up in weight class without gaining weight to have multiple belts at the same time (Sugar Ray Leonard against Hagler for one notable example). Maybe there is some reflex memory is us old guys brains that automatically thinks going up in weight class is impressive 

I'd be thrilled to have  an reflexes or any memory left at all in my old guy brain, even if they only chased shiny objects like multiple weight class belts.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Spencer wasn't 0-2 vs Seabass, he was 2-2.

• 02/04/18 - W DEC 7-4
  • 03/03/18 W MD 12 - 0
  • 12/29/18 L DEC 7-3 
  • 03/09/19 L SV-1 6-4

He was also 2-1 vs NaTo

• 01/21/18 W DEC 3-2
  • 03/03/18 L DEC 2 - 1
  • 03/15/18 W FALL 6:05

I stand corrected!

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

I basically agree, but with one qualification. The fact that Dake gained 25 pounds in college (all while having minimal body fat) shows he was really a kid when he won at 141. This observation is in line with him winning as a true freshman. When he won at 141, he was a a boy. When he won at 165 had gained grown man strength. 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

I basically agree, but with one qualification. The fact that Dake gained 25 pounds in college (all while having minimal body fat) shows he was really a kid when he won at 141. This observation is in line with him winning as a true freshman. When he won at 141, he was a a boy. When he won at 165 had gained grown man strength. 

Also indicates he cut one helluva lot of weight as a freshman.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

What makes you think they did not gain weight when they went up? Even if a boxer held belts at more than one weight, fights are spread out by months. There is plenty of time to gain weight when you go up (or simply not cut) and to cut weight when you go down.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Ponzi said:

No no, Dake was a huge 141 and maybe the biggest 149 I've ever seen. The man strength was always a factor or Reece Humphrey would've had him. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, neweruser69 said:

No no, Dake was a huge 141 and maybe the biggest 149 I've ever seen. The man strength was always a factor or Reece Humphrey would've had him. 

Yep.  Marion had him dead to rights at one point on a leg attack and Dake just muscled out with a ridiculous improvised bridge.  And then he applied seven minutes worth of, um, how would one describe it? substantial force? brutality? to Molinaro (a somewhat muscular fellow himself) the next year.

• Fire 1

Everyone also thought he was too small to ever wrestle 125.  "A 118"

Well, I wouldn’t say everyone said that. Maybe some people thought that, but I sure didn’t. Most people in PA thought Lee would have tremendous success in college and he has certainly lived up to those expectations. I was just making the point that crazy things can happen. I think every single person in the state except Austin DeSanto thought Lee would win his 4th state title in HS. So I am rooting for Lee to win his 4th title this year and I think he will, but it’s premature to count it. Of course Jimmy knows that too, but here we are taking the bait lol

17 hours ago, Ponzi said:

What makes you think they did not gain weight when they went up? Even if a boxer held belts at more than one weight, fights are spread out by months. There is plenty of time to gain weight when you go up (or simply not cut) and to cut weight when you go down.

I thought in general boxers were not big weight cutters.  Sugar Ray Leonard  claimed to have weighed in with silver dollars in his pocket when he went up for a weight class for title fight. He did for sure weigh in with warm-ups...

https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/on-this-day-sugar-ray-leonard-overcomes-a-spirited-donny-lalonde-to-win-world-titles-in-two-weight-divisions/

14 hours ago, dragit said:

Yep.  Marion had him dead to rights at one point on a leg attack and Dake just muscled out with a ridiculous improvised bridge.  And then he applied seven minutes worth of, um, how would one describe it? substantial force? brutality? to Molinaro (a somewhat muscular fellow himself) the next year.

His utter domination of molinaro is almost impressive at beating Taylor in 2 close matches , not many people could dominate him like that , dake could have rode molinaro til he dyed of starvation if he wanted 

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I thought in general boxers were not big weight cutters.  Sugar Ray Leonard  claimed to have weighed in with silver dollars in his pocket when he went up for a weight class for title fight. He did for sure weigh in with warm-ups...

https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/on-this-day-sugar-ray-leonard-overcomes-a-spirited-donny-lalonde-to-win-world-titles-in-two-weight-divisions/

Thomas Hearns must have been cutting serious weight when he was making 145.