What would Gable say now?

It would be interesting to get the honest feed back on a program and culture he helped create.   

What would he say about the gambling issue and a coaches son not knowing the rules?

What would he say about the crowd being told by a losing wrestler they were recruiting, they are number one with his middle fingers?

What would be his thoughts on recruiting wrestlers and lack of development?  Then giving money to wrestlers that IA never recruited causing guys who bleed for the program to get kicked to side?

What would he say about Terry and Tom’s mat side antics and their lack of changing them as wrestlers request?

Best of all what would he do with NIL.

4 minutes ago, Greenwave said:

It would be interesting to get the honest feed back on a program and culture he helped create.   

What would he say about the gambling issue and a coaches son not knowing the rules?

What would he say about the crowd being told by a losing wrestler they were recruiting, they are number one with his middle fingers?

What would be his thoughts on recruiting wrestlers and lack of development?  Then giving money to wrestlers that IA never recruited causing guys who bleed for the program to get kicked to side?

What would he say about Terry and Tom’s mat side antics and their lack of changing them as wrestlers request?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Greenwave said:

FjEt4yYWQAU7P3n.jpg

Would Gable call for "STALLING!" of Iowa's current NIL-focused graduate transfer recruiting strategy?

Iowa was traditionally built on developing homegrown recruits into All-Americans and NCAA champions.  Now it's built on buying other team's proven talent.

45 minutes ago, Greenwave said:

I would be interested in his thoughts on NIL. My understanding from the one person I talk to that claims to have an in with the program is that TnT are very uncomfortable with the current landscape (NIL, transfer portal) but want to do whatever it takes to be competitive and win (begs the question, are they THAT uncomfortable with it then?)

Gable's rosters were not filled with a bunch of choir boys so I don't think recruiting AJ would be something he would scoff at. AJs actions probably did not impress him much though.

All the wrestler interviews I have read or listened to the years, particularly recent ones from Lee, DeSanto, Lugo, Warner, Marinelli, and Kemmmmmmerererer were nothing but effusive in praise for their coaches passion and dedication. Who is requesting they change their actions? Bear in mind, Gable had plenty of mat side antics himself, just not featuring quite as many gesticulations.

• Bob 2

Like said above, I think most of the Iowa wrestlers do like Tom and Terry.  As far as the mat side antics, Gable had quite a few of those himself.  Wrestling against the Hawks and being mat side, we would always be entertained by the Iowa bench.  With that being said, we all loved it and respected the program and the man in charge.  Just during competition we would use it to our advantage to fire ourselves up.  

The transfer portal and NIL money are ruining amateur sports. Recruiting isn't what it used to be, transfers are a way of life. It was predicted that Iowa would have to use the portal, and it'll continue. All teams in all sports either use the portal or fall behind. It's not good for team unity but having better competition in the room could lead to improvement. It's rumored that Ohio State spent 20 million dollars of NIL money to put this years team together, all in order to beat Michigan and win a championship. There's always been an underbelly of college sports, now it's out in the open and out of hand.

14 minutes ago, Maxwell Smart said:

The transfer portal and NIL money are ruining amateur sports. Recruiting isn't what it used to be, transfers are a way of life. It was predicted that Iowa would have to use the portal, and it'll continue. All teams in all sports either use the portal or fall behind. It's not good for team unity but having better competition in the room could lead to improvement. It's rumored that Ohio State spent 20 million dollars of NIL money to put this years team together, all in order to beat Michigan and win a championship. There's always been an underbelly of college sports, now it's out in the open and out of hand.

Well, the transfer portal isn't even a real thing.  It is basically "make believe." (how many transfers of athletes "not in the portal" over the past week?  More than half a dozen?)

The NCAA (and member schools) were unfairly getting rich off of student athletes.  Now the athletes get a share.

Athlete freedom is a good thing.  Unfortunately there are going to be unintended consequences, some of which may be terrible for wrestling.

Hopefully the upcoming NIL rules can put the genie back in the bottle, at least a little. 

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 1

At some point, it will calm down, because none of the guys throwing money at the programs are THAT wealthy, I don't think.  It's not like a T. Boone Pickens situation.  These numbers being thrown around are great for the current athletes that happen to have been in college when this boom happened, but it will taper off.

• Bob 2

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

At some point, it will calm down, because none of the guys throwing money at the programs are THAT wealthy, I don't think.  It's not like a T. Boone Pickens situation.  These numbers being thrown around are great for the current athletes that happen to have been in college when this boom happened, but it will taper off.

And what's "a T. Boone Pickens situation?"

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

And what's "a T. Boone Pickens situation?"

A billionaire sports nut.  I don't believe any of the donors in the wrestling world have THAT level of net worth with that level of sports fandom.

• Bob 1

Just now, VakAttack said:

A billionaire sports nut.  I don't believe any of the donors in the wrestling world have THAT level of net worth with that level of sports fandom.

T Boone was an OSU nut, believe only ~30% went to athletes.  Pretty sure he had given to academics long before athletics.    Dont know of any specifics one would say benefited wrestling unless some coaches salaries were endowed.  Much of his recent money was reinvested to continue to grow and create more endowment.  There was a period on the academic side where state would match a gift & TBP fund would match the total.  So say someone gives $1M state matches $1M TBP fund adds $2M and you have a $4M endowed professorship.  

For wrestling its a much bigger deal to find a billionair who likes wrestling.  

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

T Boone was an OSU nut, believe only ~30% went to athletes.  Pretty sure he had given to academics long before athletics.    Dont know of any specifics one would say benefited wrestling unless some coaches salaries were endowed.  Much of his recent money was reinvested to continue to grow and create more endowment.  There was a period on the academic side where state would match a gift & TBP fund would match the total.  So say someone gives $1M state matches $1M TBP fund adds $2M and you have a $4M endowed professorship.  

For wrestling its a much bigger deal to find a billionair who likes wrestling.  

To be clear, I wasn't saying that T. Boone was donating gobs of cash to the Okie State wrestling team.  I was saying that wrestling doesn't have a donor on that level of wealth, anywhere.  I know most of his money went to football.

2 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, the transfer portal isn't even a real thing.  It is basically "make believe." (how many transfers of athletes "not in the portal" over the past week?  More than half a dozen?)

The NCAA (and member schools) were unfairly getting rich off of student athletes.  Now the athletes get a share.

Athlete freedom is a good thing.  Unfortunately there are going to be unintended consequences, some of which may be terrible for wrestling.

Hopefully the upcoming NIL rules can put the genie back in the bottle, at least a little. 

This right here, what @Interviewed_at_Weehawken said is spot on.  Colleges, Universities, and the NCAA asymmetrically benefitted from a contrived moniker of "amateur" for many decades, using this to pretend that the education they weren't giving their athletes was actually worth something.  

That entire era was hot garbage for athletes.  Schools could and did behave any way they wanted towards their athletes. Administrators weren't and still aren't held to any moral standards or codes, they just get paid to keep the money machine running.  Being an AD is really an in-house tv negotiations and PR exec position at the big schools.  

Maurice Clarett is a perfect example.  He didn't play ball with the Ohio State AD, got railroaded out of a very lucrative career bc he wouldn't kiss the ring.

Kids are finally getting what they are worth in the market, and institutions which have done everything in their power to arrange asymmetric agreements with everyone they do business with throughout history (hello student loans being resilient to bankruptcy) are just salty they have lost hold of power they once had.

TV and the NCAA did a great snow job on us, and yes old school games and matches were fun to watch, but let's not pretend that just bc we like watching college sports that it was any sort of fair and equitable arrangement for the athletes.  Our enjoyment and pleasure on saturday evenings in front of the television came at the expense of thousands of young people's health and futures.  

NIL, while different, does right by the people creating the entertainment product and putting their bodies and their health on the line.  That is 100% the way it should be. 

• Bob 3

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

To be clear, I wasn't saying that T. Boone was donating gobs of cash to the Okie State wrestling team.  I was saying that wrestling doesn't have a donor on that level of wealth, anywhere.  I know most of his money went to football.

Most or the money was spread around.  The new billionaire will/already has had a bigger impact for wrestling.  

5 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

Amateur sports were only ever amateur for the athletes. Everyone else wet their beaks. Nick Saban wasn't able to sign a $93 million contract because we love amateurism.

• Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I'm still seeing a lot of discussion elsewhere about why people are mad at all the transfers, and something occurred to me about why I get worried about high reliance on transfers.

Transfers are good, but they also have a way of hollowing out a program.  It turns into a revolving door of just purchasing wrestlers, as opposed to actually recruiting and developing.

It never really occurred to me until earlier today, transfers aren't anything new, and I don't recoil at the concept of early-career transfers, but I do recoil at the concept of filling a roster with late stage transfers who have limited eligibility left, because I worry about the innate ability for the Iowa program to sustain itself and develop nationally competitive wrestlers. 

There are certain stalwart programs that are a bellwether of health of the sport overall, and Iowa running on transfers to me looks like the wheels starting to wobble because in-house development isn't going well. Ultimately, our sport is one that runs on healthy, competitive rooms.  Reliance on transfers feels like an NFL lineman just pounding Toradol ignoring issues that are cropping up.  The bill comes due eventually, just a matter of when you pay it, and how large it is. 

• Bob 1

On 8/29/2024 at 11:45 AM, VakAttack said:

I believe the guy spearheading this whole Oklahoma State David Taylor thing is a billionaire. 

On 8/28/2024 at 10:00 AM, Greenwave said:

Please remind me. I am not aware of a situation where Hawkeye wrestlers have commented on this. They do act like fools.

On 8/28/2024 at 10:00 AM, Greenwave said:

this is the type of post that is rendered non-nonsensical with the question "compared to what".

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."