Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

5 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

How was the guy not prepared for those positions? 

You see folkstyle guys make that mistake at crucial times. Brooks got to that single and was thinking hang on for 30 seconds and I win because if that guy comes over the top and turn you when you still have control there is not scoring. I look at this way, as experience grows mentally it becomes second nature to not rely on the old tricks. I remember watching Rehterford take a lot of F/S losses early were all he needed to do was give up a position and get back to his feet but he kept trying to work a bad folk position and got punished for it.

• Bob 1

So one thing we can all focus on is this if Brooks isn't the guy at 86 then Carl has no problem recruiting over him. He should give that Taylor guy a recruiting call.

i am an idiot on the internet

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I saw David Taylor lose to Cox 4 times in two tries a year apart. I saw Brooks beat Taylor handily two matches in a row. It happens, even to the reigning world champions and it's why they wrestle the matches.

I saw Taylor win the last two world championships including over the guy about to dominate the guy who beat Brooks. 

8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

This happened when McCoy beat Neal in 2000.  Neal was reigning WC and FILA Wrestler of the year.

Exactly. All the complaining about the defending world champions having too much of an advantage making the team led to a change that made the team worse. 

• Bob 1

That Bulgarian was strong strong. Don't want to speculate, but maybe even Ivan Drago strong if you catch my drift.

Having said that, he had a superior gameplan. Brooks wins that match if he doesn't action and tire himself.

• Bob 1

Just now, Voice of the Quakers said:

I think Spencer gets to eat after weigh-ins, too.

Higuchi is a world champ at 61kg hes a larger human naturally than Spencer he will be able to get bigger.

Brooks needed to finish that single to go up 5-0. Not sure how he didn't score 

2 things are true. Brooks didn't wrestle bad and could of wrestled yaz tough and brooks was also massively overrated because he doesn't dominate fields and a result like this should not be shocking

Edited by alliseeisgold

4 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

You see folkstyle guys make that mistake at crucial times. Brooks got to that single and was thinking hang on for 30 seconds and I win because if that guy comes over the top and turn you when you still have control there is not scoring. I look at this way, as experience grows mentally it becomes second nature to not rely on the old tricks. I remember watching Rehterford take a lot of F/S losses early were all he needed to do was give up a position and get back to his feet but he kept trying to work a bad folk position and got punished for it.

Did brooks compete at junior worlds/U23?

This is nothing new… it’s much easier to train for one person than it is to train for the whole world. There’s many times when our rep won the wrestle off but probably wasn’t the best option against the rest of the world. Would you rather just have USA wrestling just pick whoever they think is best? This is America… I like that we give opportunity to everyone. Congrats to Brooks he earned the right to be there and will probably walk away with a bronze

1 minute ago, neweruser69 said:

That Bulgarian was strong strong. Don't want to speculate, but maybe even Ivan Drago strong if you catch my drift.

Having said that, he had a superior gameplan. Brooks wins that match if he doesn't action and tire himself.

That's a unfair assumption with the Drago comment stop making excuses when someone runs into a better wrestler.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, mspart said:

Helen?  Spencer?  results?

mspart

Helen was up 2-0 early after her usual inside trip. From a similar position as both wrestlers worked to control signature arm ties, Japan scored 4 at the end of the period, then added a takedown + leg lace. Japan was up 10-2 by the last 30 seconds. Helen got a late takedown, but wasn't in position to score a bunch of exposure. Big bummer. 

Lee won by tech, twice in about two minutes. Looked incredibly strong and comfortable. 

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

god damn! you're just posting crap at this point.  

Thank you!  I thought it was me but then I remembered this was the same genius arguing that Amit Elor should have wrestled for Israel because her parents were born there. Overrated because he only made the semis in his first Olympics after taking out the best wrestler in the World at the weight in the trials. Please stop the nonsense.

1 minute ago, neweruser69 said:

Oh, oh...

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Well, I'm out of reactions today, as there's apparently a quota. So, if you say something brilliant, intermat says **** you! 

I love Helen. Hoping for another Olympic medal from her. 

I know folks have been asking about handicapping Lee vs. Higuchi. The way I see it is that Lee has given up takedowns to quick wrestlers. Higuchi is certainly a quick wrestler. However, if Spencer can slow any Higuchi finish just a little, Rei won't get the takedown. Too much strength. Both can turn, but that strength advantage goes to Spencer. 

Some folks have said that Higuchi will be able to add the water weight after weighins and be big. I think this is another advantage for Spencer. He looked absolutely jacked in his Semi. I have Spencer as the favorite. Still, a compelling matchup. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Coaching

Something needs to be said

That position brooks was in at the end was fairly elementary and should of seen that move coming and practiced a million times

Penn state malpractice ?

Brooks sold out on the stalemate. BUL adjusted and Brooks didn't readjust fast enough. (Kind of like Gilman on the Merkle position against Uguev in 2021.)

Too may people on this thread are making too much of one sequence to talk about Brooks - a multi-time age group world champ - not doing enough FS. Whatever...

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

9 minutes ago, neweruser69 said:

Does brooks even lift?

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1