Gable Steveson

7 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I'm not privy to the process to declare an Olympic redshirt with deadlines and such, but if he was teasing a comeback this past season he could come back this coming year.

8 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I believe you have to declare an Olympic redshirt sometime prior to the actual trials, and that was never done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In trying to parse the rule, I have gone back and forth on this. But now I am leaning (just slightly) that maybe (possibly, not sure) it could be retroactive (?).

My reasoning is that it is voted on by "The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or a committee designated by it,".

It is the word reinstatement that gives me pause.

But the sentence finishes with:

"shall have the authority to waive this provision by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting to permit student-athletes to participate in..."

Which seems to be a forward looking statement. So I think I could be convinced of either.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

19 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

As moronic as we as a fanbase can be with some of the things we say on social, nothing holds a candle to wwe stans. It’s just the same thing that’s been repeated over and over. I’ve seen legit people try to explain the laws etc in Mn to them and it ends up how you might expect. They’re the same type of people who don’t believe anything after the first google search result. The smart fans in that demographic don’t engage.

Is it moronic to dislike him because of the action, even if the laws in Mn didn't allow for a criminal charge? It seems like it would make sense that you'd have some people who hold it against him while others do not.

8 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Is it moronic to dislike him because of the action, even if the laws in Mn didn't allow for a criminal charge? It seems like it would make sense that you'd have some people who hold it against him while others do not.

I don't think there are any case files public to read, but if the actions reported did occur, I don't really blame anyone for disliking him. Gross and ***ducked** up regardless of if somebody said "yeah i'm down". 

5 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I don't think there are any case files public to read, but if the actions reported did occur, I don't really blame anyone for disliking him. Gross and ***ducked** up regardless of if somebody said "yeah i'm down". 

To my knowledge, he hasn't really addressed it in detail or much at all (other than through his lawyers).  The prosecutors said he would have been charged in Wisconsin, but his lawyers said he's innocent. The victim hasn't ever come forward. So I don't see a problem with people who choose to support him, but I also don't have an issue with fans who choose not to. 

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In trying to parse the rule, I have gone back and forth on this. But now I am leaning (just slightly) that maybe (possibly, not sure) it could be retroactive (?).

My reasoning is that it is voted on by "The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or a committee designated by it,".

It is the word reinstatement that gives me pause.

But the sentence finishes with:

"shall have the authority to waive this provision by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting to permit student-athletes to participate in..."

Which seems to be a forward looking statement. So I think I could be convinced of either.

Medical and normal redshirts are basically retroactively applied after the season and it is determined you meet the specific criteria. I would assume to a certain degree Olympic redshirts are applied in a similar way. 

So basically Steveson could come back and wrestle 2nd semester pretty much anywhere?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I was really really hoping we were never going to get a “will he or won’t he come back” situation with Gable again. I still maintain I believe he has no remaining eligibility.

• Bob 2

9 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

I was really really hoping we were never going to get a “will he or won’t he come back” situation with Gable again. I still maintain I believe he has no remaining eligibility.

He had an Olympic he could utilize next year, which also meant that he would have to defer enrollment to utilize.  He had said in an interview leading up to last year that it was an option for him to come back in 2024-25 in that sort of manner.  It was one of the ones from when he was training at Iowa and folks thought he was going to go to Iowa (which I would wager is still well in play to happen).

He could defer fall enrollment, enter the portal when it opens up there (a 15 day window?), transfer, and be immediately eligible to compete for wherever he chooses.

I also believe that if any of the Penn State wrestlers choose to follow that they could also do it this way.  When the portal rules updated a few weeks ago they made it so when they transfer they are immediately eligible to compete.  I might be missing some crucial details in there (like maybe it is specific to Grad transfers - which Steveson is), but I remember thinking that the portal was going to get wild for non-revenue sports for this next calendar year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I was presented with new info, changing my tune (this is the internet I can do that as many times as I want with no repercussions) Gable does have a year left. Whether or not he wants to use it, and where, is the question. So excited to do this again!!

11 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I was presented with new info, changing my tune (this is the internet I can do that as many times as I want with no repercussions) Gable does have a year left. Whether or not he wants to use it, and where, is the question. So excited to do this again!!

Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

2 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Did I just Nic Cage’d by a dead senate majority leader?

You can go ahead and say those magical words.

You were right senator.

in a report by Marc Raimondi, he said that multiple NFL teams have reached out to Gable but that he also has one year of college eligibility remaining I assume the information about the NFL teams comes from a source close to Gable. It was also mentioned that gable was training at kill cliff FC for the past year.

NFL teams likely just want to kick the tires for a tryout or something.  Give him a small deal to come to a mini camp and then cut him.  At 265 he probably a D End?  Has he ever played football?

MMA seems very logical but if I were him I would maximize the NIL value and wrestle one more year.  He won't get another shot again and can still do MMA after the season.

Posted (edited)

Apparently he has a year left and will be making an annoucnement. Who knew you could get an OLY shirt after the fact. 

On the MMA hour, his manager says “looking forward to returning to elite level competition” and “looks forward to sharing big news very soon”… “has one year of college eligibility” 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Apparently he has a year left and will be making an annoucnement. Who knew you could get an OLY shirt after the fact. 
On the MMA hour, his manager says “looking forward to returning to elite level competition” and “looks forward to sharing big news very soon”… “has one year of college eligibility” 

AJ Ferrari took an OLY shirt with no intention of ever participating in OTTs.

From what I had heard it sounds like its his free covid year that he never used? whatever the case is I would assume he has to wrestle for Minnesota given the window is still open unless he gets a grad program exemption if that is a thing? he will still be two years younger than Daton was at NCAA's which is wild to think about.

59 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

From what I had heard it sounds like its his free covid year that he never used? whatever the case is I would assume he has to wrestle for Minnesota given the window is still open unless he gets a grad program exemption if that is a thing? he will still be two years younger than Daton was at NCAA's which is wild to think about.

The free year was 2021 for everyone. Only 2024 could be considered an Olympic redshirt. So by process of elimination 2023 had to be a regular redshirt.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

57 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

He is going to OSU to wrestle for David Taylor.

According to a lot of posters, everyone is going to Ok State to wrestle for David Taylor. Now that Wyatt, Gable and Kerk transferring over, it's going to be a great and deep team. Too bad it's not NAIA. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐